Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

OK, OK, popular demand wins; I shall make a "!2 months on" post, but not till Hallowe'en, cos thats the day I flew out..... :scared:

Indy thread coming up too - didn't do it earlier cos I was too busy having fun in my nice Aussie office, doing my interesting Aussie job, with a bunch of great Aussies (and a Russian, but shes a law unto herself!), eating Aussie sweets, and chatting up hunky Aussie firefighters.......that lot positive enough for you?!!!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What are you going to do with the majority of forum users though, who make both types of post

Pollyanna, please post your '12 month' news. Can I suggest "Sunny Samanatha" !!! waits 12 months before she posts again !
Old Oct 26th 2004, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

can i add my twopenneth here being a newbie in oz (after 5 months)

i have met ss and she seems a really nice person, however i do winge every now and again as much as what i did in the uk but this label winging pom really gets on my tits

am i not allowed to have a rant and rave at things over here without this label being stuck on me

yes i did my research when i wanted to come here and no things are not how i imagined them to be, i love this country as if it were my own but i do get homesick still and probably always will and i miss the familiarity of all things home and if this makes me a winging pom then so be it

ozzies moan just as much as what i do about things mentioned on here, lets try not to stick a label on people for having a rant and rave at times and making them feel unable to share emotions with both poms and ozzies, never since ive been here have i heard an ozzie mention a winging pom perhaps thats a label created by certain people to make certain we never express any negativity about austlralia

arlene
Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:26 am
Badge

Talking Re: Why are there so many whinging poms here?

Originally Posted by arlene
can i add my twopenneth here being a newbie in oz (after 5 months)

i have met ss and she seems a really nice person, however i do winge every now and again as much as what i did in the uk but this label winging pom really gets on my tits

am i not allowed to have a rant and rave at things over here without this label being stuck on me

yes i did my research when i wanted to come here and no things are not how i imagined them to be, i love this country as if it were my own but i do get homesick still and probably always will and i miss the familiarity of all things home and if this makes me a winging pom then so be it

ozzies moan just as much as what i do about things mentioned on here, lets try not to stick a label on people for having a rant and rave at times and making them feel unable to share emotions with both poms and ozzies, never since ive been here have i heard an ozzie mention a winging pom perhaps thats a label created by certain people to make certain we never express any negativity about austlralia

arlene
to me, a whinging Pom is not someone who whinges, or complains, but has an certain attitude; you often spot it a mile away,and I'm sure aussies can as well. (its not limited to brits too). Unfortunately the word is apportioned at too many people for the wrong reasons. If someone is a WP, it is syptomatic of what I like to call a general ''malaise'', not because they talk, for example, about yoghurt - although, anya, I never notice these things in the first place. God I'm impresssed.

BM

Old Oct 26th 2004, 7:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
to me, a whinging Pom is not someone who whinges, or complains, but has an certain attitude; you often spot it a mile away,and I'm sure aussies can as well. (its not limited to brits too). Unfortunately the word is apportioned at too many people for the wrong reasons. If someone is a WP, it is syptomatic of what I like to call a general ''malaise'', not because they talk, for example, about yoghurt - although, anya, I never notice these things in the first place. God I'm impresssed.

BM
General Malaise! I'd love for you to expand on that one.

Watch a homesick Aussie in London not dealing with a different life and you'll get the same symptoms. No difference.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sunny_samantha
If however I felt really negative about our life here I wouldn't be willing to come and share this on the site ... I was NOT saying that those people should get out of Australia but that they should think twice about what they post on this site and if all they can offer is negativity then perhaps they should get out of the site!!!! ...
I appreciate honest comments about life here (good or bad) but the whinging gets me down
Hmm, so "honest comments" are fine but "whinging" isn't and people who feel "negative" shouldn't post comments on this site.

That's the problem when you sign up for an ideology that says Australia is beyond reproach, you start getting very muddled.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

markaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Really don't understand this. We moved here two months ago and life is great. We learnt a lot from this site when we were in the process of emigrating and were really appreciative to this site and to certain people on it. Since we arrived we have logged in several times and all we seem to see is people moaning about the UK/Australia/the price of whatever...WHY? Either you are committed to move or you are not! We were, and still are, yes there are things that seem expensive but there are things that seem cheap. We love it here. If you feel negative then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND ANNOY OTHER PEOPLE. You have to understand that when you move to to the other side of the world there are more important issues to consider than - is it hot? does it rain? are there spiders? is bread cheap? will my tv work? (ours didn't - we now have a fabulous 32 inch tv - its great!)
Again just want to say we love it here, we did our research (with help here and we thank people for it) but we find it sad that this site seems to be full of negative whingers at the moment???? if you are not committed to the move then why spend your time moaning here - stay in Whinging Pom land!!!! My personal hate is those that say I earn £X how will I cope on A$X. You are buying a lifestyle not a salary. We have a no worries attiude - if you don't have this then don't bother coming as you wil be on the next flight back
Sorry to rant but this is how I feel.
Certainly have started something here glad you are enjoying living hear, but I think you really need to have spent a little more than 2 months to know what it is like to actaully live in australia, and dont be to hard on the new people, you were one not long ago, and I'm sure you had more than a few questions.We did not have the benefit of this site when we came so found out a lot of stuff the hard way. I dont post much on here but I am always looking in, so look forward to your post in say 12 months time. We have had some good and bad times over the years, but we are still enjoying it hear any new people wanting info would be glad to help, no matter what the question. good luck to you anyway, hope you continue to enjoy it here.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:38 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. I think we need to be careful not to turn this into a slanging match - a couple of posts have been heading that way.

If somebody wants to post on here about the price of lettuce - fine. If someone is having an off day and needs to vent - fine. Life isn't all sweetness and light and the balance of this forum usually reflects this. Maybe there has been a shortage of 'meaningful' discussion on here lately, I can't say that I've not noticed it being that much different from the norm.

Last edited by wmoore; Oct 26th 2004 at 9:56 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:51 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Really don't understand this. We moved here two months ago and life is great. We learnt a lot from this site when we were in the process of emigrating and were really appreciative to this site and to certain people on it. Since we arrived we have logged in several times and all we seem to see is people moaning about the UK/Australia/the price of whatever...WHY? Either you are committed to move or you are not! We were, and still are, yes there are things that seem expensive but there are things that seem cheap. We love it here. If you feel negative then GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND ANNOY OTHER PEOPLE. You have to understand that when you move to to the other side of the world there are more important issues to consider than - is it hot? does it rain? are there spiders? is bread cheap? will my tv work? (ours didn't - we now have a fabulous 32 inch tv - its great!)
Again just want to say we love it here, we did our research (with help here and we thank people for it) but we find it sad that this site seems to be full of negative whingers at the moment???? if you are not committed to the move then why spend your time moaning here - stay in Whinging Pom land!!!! My personal hate is those that say I earn £X how will I cope on A$X. You are buying a lifestyle not a salary. We have a no worries attiude - if you don't have this then don't bother coming as you wil be on the next flight back
Sorry to rant but this is how I feel.
Where you not like like prior to yor move to Oz......why is asking a (what i think is a) sensible question called whinging..To move to a place so far away people want to make sure they get everything organized B4 they move.
Old Oct 26th 2004, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Badge
general ''malaise''
BM

You remind me of Jimmy Carter in 1979 (although he never actually used the word)
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Bet Sunny Sam wishes she'd asked whether her TV would work in Oz - she could have saved herself the trouble of taking it, and flogged it in the UK instead. The extra cash could have paid for a couple more casks of wine!
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:46 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wmoore
Hmm. I think we need to be careful not to turn this into a slanging match - a couple of posts have been heading that way.

If somebody wants to post on here about the price of lettue - fine. If someone is having an off day and needs to vent - fine. Life isn't all sweetness and light and the balance of this forum usually reflects this. Maybe there has been a shortage of 'meaningful' discussion on here lately, I can't say that I've not noticed it being that much different from the norm.
Quite right, Mod, it's very important that everyone feels able to have their say, even if *what* they say appears negative to other people. It's just as important for the likes of SS (unfortunate acronym that) to be able to say how much she hates whingers, as it is for others to feel free to whinge!

Personally, I feel she should be perfectly free to carry on posting her views - but when she tries to censor what other posters write, because it doesn't fit with her own opinions, then we have to make sure that new forum members -and, perhaps, the more shy or unhappy posters amongst us - don't feel intimidated & stop, just because SS has told them to!

Upwards & onwards, to the important stuff like Polly's Indy race, the mystery of the gelatin-polluted yoghurts - and do those dam' UK TVs work after all...?

Anya
Old Oct 26th 2004, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

I hope you still have a copy somewhere - I'd love to read it. I know you've had some tough times whilst you've been in Oz - but it makes it all the more interesting to read (and things are better now, with the new job aren't they? I've been away a few months, so have missed out on a few posts).

Originally Posted by Pollyana
People are now thinking twice before sharing their experiences - I've already binned my "12 months on" post because it wasn't 100% positive and sunshiny.

Last edited by wmoore; Oct 26th 2004 at 9:56 am. Reason: Fixed QUOTE tag
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by anya4oz
It's just as important for the likes of SS (unfortunate acronym that)

Anya
What can I say?
I have expressed a view here that some others don't like. I have not posted here for over two months and although I may not ever have been a regular poster I have learnt a lot and read a lot over the past two years. I fully support what the moderator said with regard to this getting personal - I never had a personal attack on anyone and there is only one person on this site who did have a personal attack. As we said some time ago , there is a time to let go and to liken us to people who were involved with the murder of millions is the most offensive thing anyone has ever said to me. Yes, you called me a bigot earlier on, learnt what the word meant and then have changed your tack. This is the personal attacks the moderator was talking about and this is what has sickened me for some time about this site.
I hope that I can still pm people who I have spoken to but I like many others before me have no intention of ever typing another word here.
Thanks to all who have given me advice and to anyone emigrating to Aus then any questions you want to ask feel free to pm me.

ANYA - this is now personal, you put a post on this site about how supportive you are - do you really think you are being that here or do you think you are being downright offensive and insulting. I suggest you think before you speak next time as you have really gone too far. Those with any integrity and sensitivity will agree with this, although may not be willing to say so on this site. As will be the case of some of those who agree with you. To compare me to the SS is unforgivable and insulting.

I hope those who have met me realise that I have been totally misinterpreted here - I realise I was not as clear as I could have been about my views which is why there are some cases where people have been able to nitpick differences. I read many posts like this in the UK and never got involved and all I can say is that my point has been proved here about negativity, and by that I mean the small minded negative whinging - NOT the really important stuff. But hey who am I to judge - apparently I am a member of the SS!!! That's the biggest load of c**p I've ever had to endure in my life and if that is the way this site has become then I for one want no part of it.
Again thanks to all the people who helped us out.
Hope you all find what you are looking for here (or back in the UK if that is what is right for you)
Old Oct 26th 2004, 10:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
It's just as important for the likes of SS (unfortunate acronym that) to be able to say how much she hates whingers, as it is for others to feel free to whinge!
Err - Sunny_Samantha, Anya does not actually compare you to the SS. All she said was that the acronym formed by the shortening of your username is "unfortunate", as indeed it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.