Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why such a small number of jobs in Perth on the internet?

Why such a small number of jobs in Perth on the internet?

Old Oct 31st 2002, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Nina is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Why such a small number of jobs in Perth on the internet?

A few month ago I have asked a question about jobs in Perth versus Brisbane.
From everything I read since then (on this and other sites) it seems that the job situation is comparable. I even read on some government sites that the unemployment rate in WA is a little bit lawer than in Qld (WA around 6,5% and Qld. around 7%).

But what I really don't understand and it gets me confused is the number of jobs that shows after searching the same type of jobs in Perth and Brisbane on the most importent sites like
www.jobsearch.gov.au, employment.com.au or monsterboard.com.au.
When I look in financing (for me) or industry and retail (my husband) the search engine of the mentioned sites shows about 100/200 jobs in Brisbane and the same search shows 20/30 jobs in Perth.
Can someone explain this to me???

Is it maybe beacause in Perth you can only find a job "via via"/by contacts???

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.
Nina
Old Oct 31st 2002, 10:38 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why such a small number of jobs in Perth on the internet?

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Nina
From everything I read since then (on this and other sites) it seems that the job situation is comparable. I even read on some government sites that the unemployment rate in WA is a little bit lawer than in Qld (WA around 6,5% and Qld. around 7%).

But what I really don't understand and it gets me confused is the number of jobs that shows after searching the same type of jobs in Perth and Brisbane on the most importent sites like
When I look in financing (for me) or industry and retail (my husband) the search engine of the mentioned sites shows about 100/200 jobs in Brisbane and the same search shows 20/30 jobs in Perth.

Perth lives off the mines up north and in land, there are very few jobs to be had in Perth met area for the size of population .
So widen your search to all of WA , some of these jobs are fly in stay 2 weeks and 1 week off , but not all more and more want you to live on site or 6 on 2 off these are 12 hour shifts 7 days a week not paid for time off.
Also like you say most jobs are on a who you know , not what you know if this was a UK city I would say it would be in the South West of England same lack of Industry.

Old Nov 1st 2002, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Perth is about 4000 klms from the next major city (Melbourne), respect to Adelaide but it is more of a town. So not many business want to set up so far from anywhere. It is a very very islolated place.

That distance is hard to imagine but according to my kids old Weetbix Atlas that is the same as driving from London to Moscow!!! And remember there is nothing in between.

I dont think many people in the UK appreciate how isolated it is. I have met many a aussie who made a nice dollar there working in and out of the mines tho.
Old Nov 1st 2002, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why such a small number of jobs in Perth on the internet?

Originally posted by Nina

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.
Nina
Try this site. I do not if it will help, but you need to look at some jobs in the WA newspapers

http://business.thewest.com.au/npms....ory=employment

If this does not help you let me know and I will give you some moe WA sites
Old Nov 1st 2002, 1:46 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Perth is about 4000 klms from the next major city (Melbourne), respect to Adelaide but it is more of a town. So not many business want to set up so far from anywhere. It is a very very islolated place.

That distance is hard to imagine but according to my kids old Weetbix Atlas that is the same as driving from London to Moscow!!! And remember there is nothing in between.
There is too. What about Kalgoorie & Eucla?