Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are some areas so popular

Why are some areas so popular

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Why are some areas so popular

Over the last 5 years or so that I've used BE forum, most posters seem to all relocate to the same kind of areas where there are lots of other Brits why is this?

Myself and hubby, we are inland about 4 hours, our nearest 'town' is about 15km away and quite large and has everything you could want (except the coast but we never had that in UK anyhow) but ''a know everybody' type feel to it of 50,000 people and no other Brits that I've met which is really what we wanted. Children are children and doors can be left open. Joining a few local clubs and working gives you lots of Aussie friends here and at the present time couldn't be happier personally.

I wouldn't want suburbs with loads of Brits but is it easier to settle with fellow countrymen beside you or not, does it make making friends and mixing with Aussies harder? Everyone wants something different but would be interested in hearing your comments on why you picked where you did and if it was in your opinion easier/harder to settle because of it.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:09 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Why are some areas so popular

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Over the last 5 years or so that I've used BE forum, most posters seem to all relocate to the same kind of areas where there are lots of other Brits why is this? .
Probably recommendations...

Tell us your area, and you too could be inundated with Brits...

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 5:13 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that people are selecting areas based on the number of Brits.

Ask yourself - what percentage of Australians live 4+ hours from the coast - I bet the figure is very low - Australia is a very urbanised society. People are just going where other people go, regardless of whether they are British.

I do think Brits are perhaps skewed toward Qld & WA because climate is a major draw for them - and a quick look on a climate chart might make the major cities in these states seem more attractive than others.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:56 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Over the last 5 years or so that I've used BE forum, most posters seem to all relocate to the same kind of areas where there are lots of other Brits why is this?

Myself and hubby, we are inland about 4 hours, our nearest 'town' is about 15km away and quite large and has everything you could want (except the coast but we never had that in UK anyhow) but ''a know everybody' type feel to it of 50,000 people and no other Brits that I've met which is really what we wanted. Children are children and doors can be left open. Joining a few local clubs and working gives you lots of Aussie friends here and at the present time couldn't be happier personally.

I wouldn't want suburbs with loads of Brits but is it easier to settle with fellow countrymen beside you or not, does it make making friends and mixing with Aussies harder? Everyone wants something different but would be interested in hearing your comments on why you picked where you did and if it was in your opinion easier/harder to settle because of it.
Seems most move to Perth and Brisbane and suburbs where theres large numbers of other Brits, l guess the Chinese and other races do the same they seem to move to Sydney and Melbourne and live in suburbs with their same ethnic group. Seems like no one wants to live with Aussies

Last edited by mohogony; Feb 22nd 2010 at 7:03 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:32 am
Banned

Ozwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to allOzwanderer is a name known to all

Country living and especially inland can have a lot going for it and lakes/streams/rivers can more than make up for the beach with less crowds and sharks!
I was driving down the Newell Hwy. one time and overnighted at a whistle stop place of a pub and not much else and the licensee had moved out from the Coast to Armidale on the New England Hwy. and then further for real country.

Opportunity for work has a lot to do with where people head for and we'll move into a new orbit when governments are really prepared to do something on decentralisation and solve a lot of problems that'll likely only get worse.

As for
Seems most move to Perth and Brisbane and suburbs where theres large numbers of other Brits, l guess the Chinese and other races do the same they seem to move to Sydney and Melbourne and live in suburbs with their same ethnic group. Seems like no one wants to live with Aussies
You'll find that Melbourne/Victoria has been popular enough with Brits over the years and maybe the ones who have found what they like do not want to spoil it with broadcasting it to all and sundry.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Actually, I think all that Pom living with Pom thing is overstated. People just seem to move to what they consider the big 'draws'.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Um. Maybe because there aren't a whole lot of jobs for most of us 4 hours inland?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Um. Maybe because there aren't a whole lot of jobs for most of us 4 hours inland?
Living in Brisbane is bad enough....living 4 hours inland from here I'd have topped myself by now.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 10:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure the tiny amount of people on BE is indicative personally. We all have to live somewhere and most of us have that location dictated by work. The work 'tends' to happen in and around the cities. Ergo, people live in and around the cities.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:13 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak for other cities but if there isn't a "trend" then why do area such as Joondalup and Rockingham seemingly attract higher percentages of poms than other Perth burbs?
Wether through this site or other forms of "recommendation" there must be some reason for this.
Before I get flamed, I'm not judging this or saying its a bad thing but certianly there seems to be cultural/background draws - as with other burbs e.g. Winthrop is viewed as a strongly Malayasian burb.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is I think a lot (not all) of British are attracted to Australia by beaches and large houses.

Most have to move to the same outer suburban/beach area's to get these because:

- Inner area's have smaller, older, sometimes character homes rather than the large, new, brick/tile and pool a lot seem to want.
- Outer area's make a large house cheaper.
- The ability to buy near a good beach at a price you can afford often means you have to be a long way from anywhere.

Sometimes I think this is where "some" go wrong. They buy this lifestyle and then realise they are really urban people who want to live close to shops, people and activity. Expensive mistake to undo. For others, of course, it fits them perfectly.

Last edited by fish.01; Feb 22nd 2010 at 12:00 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I can't speak for other cities but if there isn't a "trend" then why do area such as Joondalup and Rockingham seemingly attract higher percentages of poms than other Perth burbs?
British Born Residents in
23% Joondalup
23% Rockingham

Perth average is 12% , the National average is about 4-5%.... it does make you wonder...

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
My guess is I think a lot (not all) of British are attracted to Australia by beaches and large houses.

Most have to move to the same outer suburban/beach area's to get these because:

- Inner area's have smaller, older, sometimes character homes rather than the large, new, brick/tile and pool a lot seem to want.
- Outer area's make a large house cheaper.
- The ability to buy near a good beach at a price you can afford often means you have to be a long way from anywhere.

Sometimes I think this is where "some" go wrong. They buy this lifestyle and then realise they are really urban people who want to live close to shops, people and activity. Expensive mistake to undo. For others, of course, it fits them perfectly.
Bang on. I err, reserve the right to amend my previous answer and submit this one as well for consideration....

I've even advised people off BE where people go wrong - they listen intently - and still make the same mistake as everyone else. They always turn up in a new burb, and meet all these English people - how happy they are.... However.....some do OK despite all that.

I could live city, country(outback) - in most States, but not suburban.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
British Born Residents in
23% Joondalup
23% Rockingham

Perth average is 12% , the National average is about 4-5%.... it does make you wonder...
The 2006 figure is 15% British born
23% English speaking
http://www.omi.wa.gov.au/WAPeople200...Rockingham.pdf.

It is the cheapest coastal suburb in Perth so price must be the main drawcard
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

On a personal note our final destination will rely upon work and schools, as our main criteria for settling down, yeah a beach house and a pool would be great but hey how we look at it we ain't got that here so why want it there to (in the begining anyway)
As for picking a location because of expats, nah - not us, we want to intergrate with all groups (especially the local locals)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.