Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why so much negativity about Perth???

Why so much negativity about Perth???

Old Jun 12th 2011, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why so much negativity about Perth???

surely that wherever anyone lives in the world there are going to be peopl who love it and people who hate it. Perth just seems to attract more discussion due the fact that it seems to be the prime hotspot for brits to emigrate to, and of course you will always get the fact that people tend to only comment when they are unhappy so it will always be biased.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:29 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Why such sensitivity indeed. Why the need to justify that Perth is something other? I do agree it sounds to me as you that a lot of folk are not entirely convinced in their stated convictions as to the attractions of living in Perth.
Because the OP asked ... "Why the negativity?", and "Can anyone give me some positives about Perth or WA as a whole?"

Generally I dont bother with these type of threads as they so often go nowhere, but thought I'd chip in to counter the usual negativity. I guess it's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:59 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
I don't bag any other place in the world
So you didn't describe Scotland as essentially a third world country?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be back in Perth soon and I'm looking forward to the 'weather' and city break.

But I personally think I will come back wanting a bigger city.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:10 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'll be back in Perth soon and I'm looking forward to the 'weather' and city break.

But I personally think I will come back wanting a bigger city.
Come on then, lets have a drink Badge!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:20 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Come on then, lets have a drink Badge!

Badge on Tour - Perth, for one night only!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all

I am very curious about Perth. The huge drawcard for me is its climate (which I've thoroughly researched). I have most of what I need in life, am not bothered by it's isolation, and love the outdoors. But then again it can be hard to know what it is really like until you live there so reading other people's feedback is good.

I am tired of the changeable climate here in Sydney - it is driving me up the wall. We've had over 160 rain days for the 12 months ended May. Granted the La Nina has been bad but I long to live somewhere where there is good chance a weekend summer BBQ will not be ruined by rain. I actually prefer a boring, predictable climate.

Also Sydney can be too much of a rat race for me and I prefer things a bit quieter.

I have three cousins now who live there and they all love it.

I've been for a couple of visits and it resonated with me a lot. My challenge is going to be convincing my wife to move
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GreenMan72
I've been for a couple of visits and it resonated with me a lot. My challenge is going to be convincing my wife to move
Just out of interest, what is putting your wife off Perth?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GreenMan72
I am very curious about Perth. The huge drawcard for me is its climate (which I've thoroughly researched). I have most of what I need in life, am not bothered by it's isolation, and love the outdoors. But then again it can be hard to know what it is really like until you live there so reading other people's feedback is good.

I am tired of the changeable climate here in Sydney - it is driving me up the wall. We've had over 160 rain days for the 12 months ended May. Granted the La Nina has been bad but I long to live somewhere where there is good chance a weekend summer BBQ will not be ruined by rain. I actually prefer a boring, predictable climate.

Also Sydney can be too much of a rat race for me and I prefer things a bit quieter.

I have three cousins now who live there and they all love it.

You might be interested in this research I did a while back which includes Sydney and Perth weather:

Annual Dry days Per Year (>= 1mm)

288 Brisbane - Annual Rainfall 1149
270 Adelaide - Annual Rainfall 622.1
265 Perth - Annual Rainfall 867.6
260 Sydney - Annual Rainfall 1084.4
255 Melbourne - Annual Rainfall 648.5

Summer Dry Days Per Month (Avg Min/Max Temps Celsius)

30 Perth (17.9 - 29.7) <---- Very dry summer
28 Adelaide (16.7 - 28.6) <---- Very dry summer
26 Melbourne (14.3 - 25.9) <---- Medium dry summer
23 Brisbane (20.7-29.4) <---- Humid with afternoon storms
23 Sydney (18.7-25.9) <---- Somewhat humid with afternoon storms

Winter Dry Days Per Month (Avg Min/Max Temps Celsius)

27 Brisbane (9.5-20.4) <---- Very dry, very warm winter
25 Sydney (8.0-16.3) <---- Very dry, warmish winter
21 Melbourne (6.0-13.4) <---- Wet, very cold winter
19 Adelaide (7.7 - 14.8) <---- Wet, cold winter
16 Perth (9.0-17.4) <---- Very wet, warmish winter

Note: Based on 100 yr averages at city centre reading stations (where available). Source: Australian Bureau of Meteorology
Note: Comments on right of temps mine so just best guesses based on the numbers

Last edited by fish.01; Jun 12th 2011 at 11:20 am.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
27 Brisbane (9.5-20.4) <---- Very dry, very warm winter
25 Sydney (8.0-16.3) <---- Very dry, warmish winter
21 Melbourne (6.0-13.4) <---- Wet, very cold winter
19 Adelaide (7.7 - 14.8) <---- Wet, cold winter
16 Perth (9.0-17.4) <---- Very wet, warmish winter
Seems to go from 'very cold' to 'warmish' in less than 3C!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Seems to go from 'very cold' to 'warmish' in less than 3C!
There is a "cold" in between...the whole range has to fit in 7 degrees so 3c is a big jump on that scale You have experienced it, you know it's true...be careful or I'll add the antarctic winds

Last edited by fish.01; Jun 12th 2011 at 11:33 am.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by fish.01
you know it's true
I KNOW the 'very cold' bit isn't!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

This classic song popped into my head when I started reading this thread:

http://youtu.be/wzNjmIWbns4

I think it describes it brilliantly

Last edited by Amazulu; Jun 12th 2011 at 11:42 am.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bcworld
I KNOW the 'very cold' bit isn't!
I vaguely remember when I did it thinking I was being generous to Sydney in the interests of impartiality as I knew some would consider 16.3 as a warm winter. I was trying to be impartial because as a queenslander I consider all of them freezing But due to your protests I am willing to downgrade Sydney to cold

Melbourne on the other hand is bang on...despite being BE I am publishing a scale with the Australian version of 'very cold' ...British will just have to adjust the 'very cold' to their own scale preferably using a 2.2 exchange rate

Last edited by fish.01; Jun 12th 2011 at 11:49 am.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Just out of interest, what is putting your wife off Perth?
She has a lot of family in NSW and plenty of people have painted a negative picture about Perth (she hasn't been there herself)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.