Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

Old Dec 14th 2006, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
These "mates" are probably lying.I've got one who even knocks off 15 minutes off his journey times to impress.He tells me it takes him x mins to get up to somewhere on the Sunshine Coast.Then I do the same journey doing the "obligatory" 10 kms over the speed limit and it always takes me 15 mins more than his time.Something doesnt add up somewhere ...
It's the old 'my Dad is bigger than yours' syndrome. From when there was always a boy at school who had a father who apparently was always better than your father. Always sourced good Xmas presents, always knew someone who knew someone else with a lorry from which cargo just fell off the back of.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've been living in my area for 3 years and I still think travel times are quicker than they are. Getting into a car seems to surrender all normal notions of time. Unless its the main mall which is quicker than I tell people(!)

lol. Haggling. I don't bother haggling as I never seem to buy the stuff you can haggle on. You can almost imagine Eric Idle turning up with his big mate. 'That's 4 for the gourd'.

You can't haggle in Coles or Bunnies can you. Can you?
I think the time thing is how Einstein arrived at his theory of relativity. Another example of this is exercise. If I set the exercise machine for 1 hour and watch an hour long TV programme, I still have 10 minutes left when the programme finishes. Because I'm moving, the time-dilation effects of Einstein's theory kick in.

On the haggling front, I was buying something the other day which I thought was non-negotiable, when the bloke turns to me and said "I'll see you right there on the price" and knocked off 10%.

Going off subject: we had a big shout yesterday. A fire in a local factory - 14 trucks in total, BA Bus, Frankston Teleboom (and hence MEB firefighters) and the thermal imaging camera. We got the call about 5:45 and didn't finish until 13:30. I think we raised the share price of McDonalds as well

Old Dec 14th 2006, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think the time thing is how Einstein arrived at his theory of relativity. Another example of this is exercise. If I set the exercise machine for 1 hour and watch an hour long TV programme, I still have 10 minutes left when the programme finishes. Because I'm moving, the time-dilation effects of Einstein's theory kick in.
Time Dilation: this is the only aspect of The Theory of Relativity I 'understand' fully with the old photon/time clock experiment explanation. Much of the rest makes my head go around in circles, luckily my mate has a PHD in it and explains it quite well.

Going off subject: we had a big shout yesterday. A fire in a local factory - 14 trucks in total, BA Bus, Frankston Teleboom (and hence MEB firefighters) and the thermal imaging camera. We got the call about 5:45 and didn't finish until 13:30. I think we raised the share price of McDonalds as well
Been playing with matches again? You lucky sod.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Time Dilation: this is the only aspect of The Theory of Relativity I 'understand' fully with the old photon/time clock experiment explanation. Much of the rest makes my head go around in circles, luckily my mate has a PHD in it and explains it quite well.

Been playing with matches again? You lucky sod.
You guys are meant to will fires out ya buggers! lol
Old Dec 14th 2006, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CHnJ
Every time I buy an appliance I have to haggle to avoid getting ripped off. I had limited time yesterday. I went to Retravision to buy a steam mop. Ticket price $199. Did the usual "How much for cash <ingratiating smile><Think to myself, of course I'm going to pay cash, I'm not about to trade a pig>?" and sales girl went to computer and usual song and dance about "There's not much in it. The best I can do it for you is $175 <bats eyelids>."

So I do the usual thing of traipsing off to Betta Electrical and ticket price is $199 and we go through the same dance and in the end I get it for $160 with a set of AAA batteries thrown in.

I would have happily paid $199 for the effing thing if that had been the real price, but I haven't a clue what the true value of something like that is. I'm not about to subscribe to "Which Steam Mop" magazine, but equally I don't want to have the usual conversation with (myself or) my Aussie mates which goes
"How much was that?"
"$x."
<sucks teeth, shakes head slightly>"Robbo got his for $x-$50."

It's even the same with fast food. If you go to McDonalds you can't haggle on the price. If you phone a pizza place you can. If you do, you get pizza at a reasonable price. If you don't and you don't have a coupon, you pay through the nose.
So true...a few months ago we were after a new fridge...went into Betta electrical, and saw a decent fridge for $2995 + $50 delivery, when we asked for cash price the woman tutted, pressed loads of keys on her computer, then eventually said the cheapest she could 'do' the fridge for was $2750 + the $50 delivery charge..well, to cut a long story short we ended up leaving the store that day because my 4 year old needed to wee. Went back the next day ready to pay the $2750 + delivery, but ended up chatting to a different sales consultant..and funnily enough he could 'do' the fridge for $2450 INC delivery!!!!!
Old Dec 14th 2006, 10:48 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

This happens in so many of the stores - they will cycle round the promos of 25% off this range this week, 20% off another range next week and so on.

You find yourself wanting something but know that every couple of months you can get the samething cheaper and loathed to pay 'full' price. Then you get peed off waiting for the promo to happen, that you end up getting it, for it to be discounted the following week
Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:20 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys are meant to will fires out ya buggers! lol
I seem to be better at putting them out than starting them. It always takes me three or four attempts to get a burn-off going (outside of fire season of course). Even the log burner in the house can take a couple of attempts.

I was talking to the bloke running the "canteen" yesterday, saying that McDonalds must have been pleased to see them (although they were probably still trying to recover from the huge order). He said that he was up in Mudgee a couple of weeks ago and they (CFA & RFS) swamped the local economy. I wonder if any traders start any of the fires

Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I seem to be better at putting them out than starting them. It always takes me three or four attempts to get a burn-off going (outside of fire season of course). Even the log burner in the house can take a couple of attempts.
Know what you mean.

It's amazing how hard it is to light a fire at the best of times. Houses go up quickly because of the interior decoration and furnishings. Before I came to Australia I assumed burning off involved petrol and matches, now I realise its the fuel load, age, configuration, moisture content, (etc) I have people from a suburban block say to me on my bush block in later winter - "oh that will burn" - and it won't, it just won't (easily).
Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

jdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud ofjdt3000 has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

It's even the same with fast food. If you go to McDonalds you can't haggle on the price
Are you having a laugh?!? Damn right you can't haggle, it's a fast food restaurant!!! I think I would feel like a right ****head haggling at the front counter of McDonalds...

"How much for this Big Mac?"
"$6"
"No, Really? For me? What if I pay cash?"

LOL

Regards,

Jamie
Old Dec 15th 2006, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jdt3000
Are you having a laugh?!? Damn right you can't haggle, it's a fast food restaurant!!! I think I would feel like a right ****head haggling at the front counter of McDonalds...

"How much for this Big Mac?"
"$6"
"No, Really? For me? What if I pay cash?"

LOL

Regards,

Jamie
I think he is - his point was the contrast with the haggling in the pizza shop which I haven't heard about.

Anyway, Cnjh is one of my favourite funny posters at the moment and makes me laugh.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:08 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midwifetanya
So true...a few months ago we were after a new fridge...went into Betta electrical, and saw a decent fridge for $2995 + $50 delivery, when we asked for cash price the woman tutted, pressed loads of keys on her computer, then eventually said the cheapest she could 'do' the fridge for was $2750 + the $50 delivery charge..well, to cut a long story short we ended up leaving the store that day because my 4 year old needed to wee. Went back the next day ready to pay the $2750 + delivery, but ended up chatting to a different sales consultant..and funnily enough he could 'do' the fridge for $2450 INC delivery!!!!!

I'm going to be stuffed if we ever get to Oz - I couldn't haggle to save my life

There's a daytime programme here in the UK, called, "Dont get done get Dom", where the presenter goes 'undercover' into shops and stuff and haggles hundreds of pounds off items... I watch in open mouthed amazement.. one of the best was him advising a bloke via earpiece while bloke was buying an engagement ring.. £500 off, and a dozen red roses AND a bottle of champagne thrown in.

Perhaps I should see if the entire series is on dvd so I can learn how to do it
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

It's even the same with fast food. If you go to McDonalds you can't haggle on the price. If you phone a pizza place you can. If you do, you get pizza at a reasonable price. If you don't and you don't have a coupon, you pay through the nose.
YOU CAN HAGGLE FOR PIZZA!!! Now you tell me, I just paid full whack for a meatball monster

Seriously, can you haggle over pizza prices, like say to them, "I don't have the coupon, but I hear you sell a pepperoni passion for $5, so if you go that low for me, I'll buy one?".
Old Dec 15th 2006, 11:03 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
YOU CAN HAGGLE FOR PIZZA!!! Now you tell me, I just paid full whack for a meatball monster

Seriously, can you haggle over pizza prices, like say to them, "I don't have the coupon, but I hear you sell a pepperoni passion for $5, so if you go that low for me, I'll buy one?".
And they always f*** up the change
Old Dec 15th 2006, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

I have pissed myself laughing at this thread, as we have been here 5 weeks now and spent most of that time SHOPPING!!!!!

I must admit though, i love the haggling. I was know in the UK for being the voucher girl, so it's come so very naturally to haggle.

We did walk out of AMart the other day though as we wanted to buy a rug and dining furniture, some stupid salesman gave us the wrong price for the rug. They could do us a deal though 100 bucks off! Yep, $100 off a rug, you can see how over priced these things can be if you don't haggle. They annoyed us so much we told them to stick their rug and dining suite.
(we'll probably end up paying double in Freedom! )

Melis
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Melchels is on a distinguished road

You can't haggle in Coles or Bunnies can you. Can you?
Now that would be funny, imagine at the checkout when the till attendant scans every item you say, 'is that your best price? how much for cash, I will give you 5 cents less!' I think that is something they should do on the Chasers on ABC!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.