Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of
Default Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

Every time I buy an appliance I have to haggle to avoid getting ripped off. I had limited time yesterday. I went to Retravision to buy a steam mop. Ticket price $199. Did the usual "How much for cash <ingratiating smile><Think to myself, of course I'm going to pay cash, I'm not about to trade a pig>?" and sales girl went to computer and usual song and dance about "There's not much in it. The best I can do it for you is $175 <bats eyelids>."

So I do the usual thing of traipsing off to Betta Electrical and ticket price is $199 and we go through the same dance and in the end I get it for $160 with a set of AAA batteries thrown in.

I would have happily paid $199 for the effing thing if that had been the real price, but I haven't a clue what the true value of something like that is. I'm not about to subscribe to "Which Steam Mop" magazine, but equally I don't want to have the usual conversation with (myself or) my Aussie mates which goes
"How much was that?"
"$x."
<sucks teeth, shakes head slightly>"Robbo got his for $x-$50."

It's even the same with fast food. If you go to McDonalds you can't haggle on the price. If you phone a pizza place you can. If you do, you get pizza at a reasonable price. If you don't and you don't have a coupon, you pay through the nose.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:45 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

You hit the nail on the head.

Every time I want to fill up with petrol I either have to mess around finding a pathetic shopper docket to get 4 cents off a litre from our local grocery store which is crap (Coles).

Why can't we all pay the same price for petrol and forget the stupid savings schemes.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 9:48 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

When I got here I registered for a FlyBys card which is like Air Miles but less generous.

I used it religiously for over a year every time I re-fuelled or did our weekly shop.

And guess what points we accrued? Enough to buy half, yes half, a non-stick pan!!!!

FlyBys ... forget it mate!
Old Dec 14th 2006, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CHnJ
Every time I buy an appliance I have to haggle to avoid getting ripped off. I had limited time yesterday. I went to Retravision to buy a steam mop. Ticket price $199. Did the usual "How much for cash <ingratiating smile><Think to myself, of course I'm going to pay cash, I'm not about to trade a pig>?" and sales girl went to computer and usual song and dance about "There's not much in it. The best I can do it for you is $175 <bats eyelids>."

So I do the usual thing of traipsing off to Betta Electrical and ticket price is $199 and we go through the same dance and in the end I get it for $160 with a set of AAA batteries thrown in.

I would have happily paid $199 for the effing thing if that had been the real price, but I haven't a clue what the true value of something like that is. I'm not about to subscribe to "Which Steam Mop" magazine, but equally I don't want to have the usual conversation with (myself or) my Aussie mates which goes
"How much was that?"
"$x."

It's even the same with fast food. If you go to McDonalds you can't haggle on the price. If you phone a pizza place you can. If you do, you get pizza at a reasonable price. If you don't and you don't have a coupon, you pay through the nose.
I know what you mean. I prefer to buy all of my appliances and most other goods from Myer of DJs. I have found that the level of service given is much better and they will always price match. They are also great with returns for faulty goods. I would say that the Myer one card is better than the flybys as the rewards seem to be quite good.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rab
When I got here I registered for a FlyBys card which is like Air Miles but less generous.

I used it religiously for over a year every time I re-fuelled or did our weekly shop.

And guess what points we accrued? Enough to buy half, yes half, a non-stick pan!!!!

FlyBys ... forget it mate!
Yep..already forgotten
Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:12 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

"How much was that?"
"$x."

Maybe you could find out how much they are in the UK (from Internet), multiply that by 2 and then see if you can get that. Either that, or ask Robbo

I must admit I'm not keen on the haggling - never have been.

Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Bought a laptop yesterday - Officeworks: almost $1800 all up, Good Guys offered me $1660 (with the offer to beat Hardly Normal), Hardly Normal came in at $1638, went back to G.G's and got it for $1595.

Thats the laptop, wireless router, internet security and bag

Geezus, just set a price and be consistent, will ya?
Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:27 am
Love it here!

SalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of lightSalSa is a glorious beacon of light

"How much was that?"
"$x."

Sent you karma
Thought it was just us that felt like this! Been here 4 weeks and sick to our back teeth with shopping....it takes FOREVER! And then you get kicked in the teeth by know-all 'mate' telling you you should have gone to so-and-so's that's where i always go.........well i didn't and i'm more than happy with the price i paid so leave me alone.

Sorry for rant. Need to lie down.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:31 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[

It's even the same with fast food. If you go to McDonalds you can't haggle on the price. If you phone a pizza place you can. If you do, you get pizza at a reasonable price. If you don't and you don't have a coupon, you pay through the nose.[/QUOTE]

Sounds silly, not forwarding thinking is it.

Sympathies.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:42 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SalSa
Sent you karma
Thought it was just us that felt like this! Been here 4 weeks and sick to our back teeth with shopping....it takes FOREVER! And then you get kicked in the teeth by know-all 'mate' telling you you should have gone to so-and-so's that's where i always go.........well i didn't and i'm more than happy with the price i paid so leave me alone.

Sorry for rant. Need to lie down.
These "mates" are probably lying.I've got one who even knocks off 15 minutes off his journey times to impress.He tells me it takes him x mins to get up to somewhere on the Sunshine Coast.Then I do the same journey doing the "obligatory" 10 kms over the speed limit and it always takes me 15 mins more than his time.Something doesnt add up somewhere ...
Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
These "mates" are probably lying......Something doesnt add up somewhere ...
And of course their house has always been valued at $50K more than yours - even though its next door to yours...........
Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

These "mates" are probably lying.I've got one who even knocks off 15 minutes off his journey times to impress.He tells me it takes him x mins to get up to somewhere on the Sunshine Coast.Then I do the same journey doing the "obligatory" 10 kms over the speed limit and it always takes me 15 mins more than his time.Something doesnt add up somewhere ...
It's even more irritating when in fact you've already factored in an extra/lower $y to head him off at the pass! lol
Old Dec 14th 2006, 11:55 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

So mething is only worth what your willing to pay. As long as you use this discipline the rest don't matter
Old Dec 14th 2006, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I with you on this one. I never seem to be able to achieve the travel times other people claim (unless I speed or it's 2am on Sunday morning).
Old Dec 14th 2006, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I with you on this one. I never seem to be able to achieve the travel times other people claim (unless I speed or it's 2am on Sunday morning).
I've been living in my area for 3 years and I still think travel times are quicker than they are. Getting into a car seems to surrender all normal notions of time. Unless its the main mall which is quicker than I tell people(!)

lol. Haggling. I don't bother haggling as I never seem to buy the stuff you can haggle on. You can almost imagine Eric Idle turning up with his big mate. 'That's 4 for the gourd'.

You can't haggle in Coles or Bunnies can you. Can you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.