Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Shopping in Oz isn't fun.

Originally Posted by kitty4

I think it's great here in Oz when you ask people how they are, they usually say 'good thanks'. In the UK I found most would say 'not too bad' or 'ok I suppose, I'm bearing up', it's like you've got to quickly get onto the next point of conversation before you get their entire medical/emotional history. My mum is with us in Oz for a holiday at the moment and we took her to the rodeo, this really upbeat woman sat next to her and said 'hi, how are you going' as usual - well the poor woman got my mum's entire medical history and woes (I pretended I wasn't with her). Maybe it's an English thing, like the obligatory weather conversation.
I find Aussies don't mind deadpan, droll replies like "I'm still alive..still breathing", I know one Aussie bloke who always answers "yeah, well, one does ones best in the face of adversity you know you know" likes he's suicidal to every "How ya been?". They are like the English in this regard,but they don't seem to like aggressive smartarse scarcasm which I think is quite nice, to be honest.

It's all basic manners in a way so I don't knock it.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Hi Guys,

I was chatting to hubby last night about this thread and he works in Clive Peeters in Burleigh (GC). Anyway, he has said that it anyone wants any electrical goods (whites and tv/dvd's etc), go into see him (ask for Wayne the Brit) and say you are from the expat forum he will give the best price without you having to go to 15 other shops and then back to him.

I know what a pain it is, I'm sure we got ripped off when we first got here, not knowing we could haggle for everything.

Judith
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Angelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the roughAngelap is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sonictigger
Hi Guys,

I was chatting to hubby last night about this thread and he works in Clive Peeters in Burleigh (GC). Anyway, he has said that it anyone wants any electrical goods (whites and tv/dvd's etc), go into see him (ask for Wayne the Brit) and say you are from the expat forum he will give the best price without you having to go to 15 other shops and then back to him.

I know what a pain it is, I'm sure we got ripped off when we first got here, not knowing we could haggle for everything.

Judith
Now thats the kind of thing that is really good about BE-Well posted Jude