Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are IT salaries in OZ so less(Comparitively)

Why are IT salaries in OZ so less(Comparitively)

Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

ahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura about
Default Why are IT salaries in OZ so less(Comparitively)

Today I was comparing salaries in OZ(Sydney), UK(London) & USA(New York) on payscale.com.
Strangely the salaries paid in OZ is much lesser(even with the Higher AUD value) it is just not comparable to what is paid in USA or UK? do you know why? is it that cost of living is more cheaper in OZ than these 2 cities? the max rate that I got is Sydney=114K, New York=145K & London=60K

Cheers!!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are IT salaries in OZ so less(Comparitively)

The max rate for what?

There will be many IT people earning much more than 114k in Sydney, and certainly plenty earning much more than 60k in London.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

And many earning a lot less

A 40k job in the Uk is 100 in Oz. If exchange rate is 1.6 thats still more so don't get OP's point either
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

ahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura aboutahmedwaseem2000 has a spectacular aura about

Well, its *not rate* its *Salary*. the maximum range of salary is not exactly comparable in all the 3 cities. just wanted to know the reasons why they are not comparable? and do you know what are all the factors that matter to get better packages?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:18 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahmedwaseem2000
Well, its *not rate* its *Salary*. the maximum range of salary is not exactly comparable in all the 3 cities. just wanted to know the reasons why they are not comparable? and do you know what are all the factors that matter to get better packages?
Well there's little point comparing your numbers because they don't seem accurate if you think these are max salaries. Surely it depends what role you're looking at...you haven't said.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well there's little point comparing your numbers because they don't seem accurate if you think these are max salaries. Surely it depends what role you're looking at...you haven't said.
I was comparing for the IT consultant on permanent role with similar certification(IBM Certified solution developer), Qualification(Master of Computer Applications) & Experience(7 years)
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

umair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant futureumair has a brilliant future

Today I was comparing salaries in OZ(Sydney), UK(London) & USA(New York) on payscale.com.
Strangely the salaries paid in OZ is much lesser(even with the Higher AUD value) it is just not comparable to what is paid in USA or UK? do you know why? is it that cost of living is more cheaper in OZ than these 2 cities? the max rate that I got is Sydney=114K, New York=145K & London=60K

Cheers!!
Ahmed,
Have you considered the tax rates? The take home pay will depend on the tax rate as well.

Thanks.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Well, salaries in 'comparative' professional IT roles in London and NYC probably are higher than Sydney.

They are probably the worlds top 2 financial centres and that is where the money is. Certainly in London. So that will skew the overall picture somewhat.

Look outside IT roles within the financial sector and perhaps salaries are more in line with each other.

Just a thought.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers!!
I was comparing IT salarys a couple of weeks ago as I will be heading back to the uk shortly and found that aus paid a lot more than I would be earning in the uk.

Going back to the uk will be a pay cut for me so I am unsure how you have come to the opposite conclusion
Old Dec 20th 2010, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dave99
I was comparing IT salarys a couple of weeks ago as I will be heading back to the uk shortly and found that aus paid a lot more than I would be earning in the uk.

Going back to the uk will be a pay cut for me so I am unsure how you have come to the opposite conclusion
I was verifying in payscale.com. its more based on surveys conducted in different cities than any specific person.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future

Ever since I can remember similar IT jobs pay 20-40% less in Oz than in Europe or North America. This problem is even more acute now with the cost of living so high in Oz.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Because IT is not as required in Sydney, and has a lot of people after the same jobs.

A "sellers market" ..

Perth has good salaries for mining. London not so. Strange huh?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dave99

What's your area of expertise? Even in the midst of the recession a lot of people I know in tech were commanding higher rates/salary in London than comparable roles in Oz (Sydney/Melbourne)
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OzExpat
What's your area of expertise? Even in the midst of the recession a lot of people I know in tech were commanding higher rates/salary in London than comparable roles in Oz (Sydney/Melbourne)
my area of expertise is in Data warehouse. I have been working on this for around 7 years now with a masters degree(Master of computer application) & IBM certifications.

Can any one shed some light on the factors that matter for the better pay package? I know in India, the factors could be how well you do in the interview, your qualification, how desperate the company is to hire you matters when they are deciding on the pay package.

There is a general practice in India that one can show an offer from a different employer and demand more from the one currently interviewing. is this the practice in OZ as well?

Last edited by ahmedwaseem2000; Dec 20th 2010 at 6:48 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

my area of expertise is in Data warehouse. I have been working on this for around 7 years now with a masters degree(Master of computer application) & IBM certifications.

Can any one shed some light on the factors that matter for the better pay package? I know in India, the factors could be how well you do in the interview, your qualification, how desperate the company is to hire you matters when they are deciding on the pay package.

There is a general practice in India that one can show an offer from a different employer and demand more from the one currently interviewing. is this the practice in OZ as well?
At least we know what job you do now. Forget payscale or whatever. Look on jobserve.com.au for DW jobs and speak to some agents. What they'll pay is what they'll pay though. You can definitely negotiate but if they offer 100k don't expect to get 150 ;-). And if its not enough to live (Oz is very expensive) then you'll be better off somewhere else. Contracting might be an idea too.

What they look at here is local experience and no. of yrs experience. You don't have the 1st one so to get it you won't be able to negotiate much at all. Thats just the way it is. They're dead funny about the local experience - especially if you're from india.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.