British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why is Perth so popular with Brits? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-perth-so-popular-brits-610133/)

BrightYellowGun May 19th 2009 11:21 pm

Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

I'm heading to Oz in a couple of weeks on a WHV and pretty much every time I tell someone, the conversation goes like this:

"Whereabouts are you going?"
"Central Coast NSW."
"Where's that?"
"About 50 miles north of Sydney."
"Oh, my daughter/sister/dad/plumber moved to Perth, is it anywhere near there?"

I've also noticed lots of people on this forum moving to Perth.

So my question is, what's the deal with bloody Perth?! :confused: Why do Brits love it so much?

Answers greatly appreciated. :D

Hutch May 19th 2009 11:25 pm

Re: Why is Perth so popular with Brits?

Originally Posted by BrightYellowGun (Post 7586803)
So my question is, what's the deal with bloody Perth?! :confused: Why do Brits love it so much?

You got me.

the plumber May 19th 2009 11:27 pm

sheep mentality........flack jacket....check, helmet....check, medical kit....check.

i'm gone....:p

spartacus May 19th 2009 11:39 pm

I'm heading to Oz in a couple of weeks on a WHV and pretty much every time I tell someone, the conversation goes like this:

"Central Coast NSW."
"Where's that?"

Easier to move to Perth than anywhere else if your daughter / sister / dad / plumber already lives there.

MartinLuther May 20th 2009 12:05 am

It gives them something to complain about.

Which makes them happier than a pig in clover. :lol:

moneypenny20 May 20th 2009 12:41 am

I remember someone posting years ago that they chose Perth because it was nearer the UK than the Eastern side :blink:

It's good we're all different ;)

asprilla May 20th 2009 12:43 am

ho ho... I think I remember the same post.

Not sure if this is correct, but I'm sure I read somewhere that last year Brisbane became a more popular destination for Brits than Perth?

Going back to the original question, I reckon it's because lots of folks have family or friends, or know someone who knows someone that has moved to Perth.

edit - plus, I suspect that approx 10yrs ago, folks from the UK would have been able to move to Perth and buy up huge houses/plots of land, getting more for their $$$ than they might on the East coast. So tales of "Peter and his family just sold their 2bed terrace and bought a 5bed home 10mins walk from the beach" would have filtered back to family and friends, and the chinese whispers would have carried on to this day.

(ps - I just made that last bit up, it may or may not be true. It probably isn't.)

renth May 20th 2009 12:53 am

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 7586924)
edit - plus, I suspect that approx 10yrs ago, folks from the UK would have been able to move to Perth and buy up huge houses/plots of land, getting more for their $$$ than they might on the East coast. So tales of "Peter and his family just sold their 2bed terrace and bought a 5bed home 10mins walk from the beach" would have filtered back to family and friends, and the chinese whispers would have carried on to this day.

(ps - I just made that last bit up, it may or may not be true. It probably isn't.)

It's very true - I remember looking a the realesate web site back in 2001 from the UK and being amazed at how much house you could get for your money in Perth, coupled with an exchange rate of about 2.75 you could flog a modest house in the UK and move into a huge house on a quarter acre block by the sea and slap a new 4x4 on the driveway to boot. And that's exactly what tens of thousands of poms did.

Bit different now though...

Wol May 20th 2009 1:29 am

And for the past few years there have been more jobs than toenail clippings in WA - and most people coming do need to have an income! Changed a bit now, though.

Family of 3 May 20th 2009 3:03 am

Can't answer for anyone else, but we've visited Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Cairns, Canberra, Darwin, Alice (most several times) on holiday and liked Perth the best. (We live in Singapore so a bit nearer!).

Simple really.

ACE May 20th 2009 3:05 am

"Central Coast NSW."
"Where's that?"

Career opportunities (hubby works in oil refining), climate, slower pace of life, and isolation were the things that sold it for us. We love living south of Mandurah on the coast as it rarely gets too hot. We have lived here for almost 3 years with no aircon and greatly appreciate the lovely see breezes.

What struck me the first time I came to Perth on contract in the 80's was the friendliness and welcoming nature of the locals and I have to say I have not been disappointed this time round either. I don’t know about WA being more popular for Brits than Queensland I would imagine it is pretty close and probably not as attractive as it once was as it is still quite expensive here. It feels very Australian all our neighbours are Aussies where we are renting and also where we are building and I really feel part of a close community; it feels a bit like stepping back in time which obviously has it’s downside too but the good far out weighs the bad.

It clearly doesn’t suit a lot of people for the very reasons that we like it, for us it is absolutely a lifestyle choice and we love it.

the troubadour May 20th 2009 3:40 am

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 7586924)
ho ho... I think I remember the same post.

Not sure if this is correct, but I'm sure I read somewhere that last year Brisbane became a more popular destination for Brits than Perth?

Going back to the original question, I reckon it's because lots of folks have family or friends, or know someone who knows someone that has moved to Perth.

That is pretty much the case.Bought in 2000 in the inner city with plenty of change to spare.
Perth seems to have been the prime destination for Brits for decades with a lure of cheap housing,sunny climes,beaches,and claimed easy going life style.
And yes Brisbane is closing in on Perth as the prime destination for Brits perhaps the immigration figures for 2008-09 will show QLD ahead?

ozhappy981 May 20th 2009 6:03 am

We chose Perth because of the climate. Coming from wet, cold, dark South England we loved the idea of warm, dry, sunny Perth :). Been here now 1.5 years and not been disappointed - very happy here :).

calNgary May 20th 2009 8:10 am

I went to perth in the 80s and so did alot of my mates, it was all to do with price cheapest flights, before the tinternet dont think many of us looked into other citys, that might be why as a kid i did every holiday for 12yrs in alicante :D

Nu-Shooz May 20th 2009 8:18 am

"Central Coast NSW."
"Where's that?"

No idea mate:blink:

You are chosing the better destination;) so don't worry about it.;)