Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Perth NOR secondary schools so "bad"?

Why are Perth NOR secondary schools so "bad"?

Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Perth NOR secondary schools so "bad"?

Can I just say again that I'm not saying they are bad, just curious that the perception of whether good or bad changes from primary to secondary school.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Zenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to allZenshin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
In my opinion, the UK has certainly gone too far in terms of assessment. But Australia is too far at the other end of the spectrum.

I find it worrying that Australia will allow teachers into teacher training courses who 'failed' (for want of a better word) their last two years of schooling and then will not hold them accountable in any way for student progress. Moreover, it is just about impossible to remove a teacher for incompetence in Australia.

The UK has also accepted people onto teaching undergraduate courses with very low A level grades but at least there exists a system of accountability in UK schools and the UK is taking steps to make it easier to remove incompetent teachers.

I wonder how many people reading these boards would be happy about having their child educated at the equivalent to GCSE and A level by a teacher who last studied the subject in question when they were 13...
I never heard of this occurring in my 7 years of teaching in the UK. I have seen it operating in Western Australia on many occasions over the last 4 years.

Where did you get information like that?? My brother in law only went to year 10 but decided to go back to school when he was in his 20s. He had to complete an equivalent of year 11 and 12 in order to get to do his teaching degree in Mathematics. He has done and passed all the required subjects that he now has to teach so is obviously more knowledgable than a 13year old at Maths. I would say the high school teachers would definitely have the required knowledge to teach their subjects. Primary school teachers may be another matter as it is not so clear cut.

As far as the transition from primary to secondary and what makes schools so "bad"? I think people perceive it to matter whether or not a private school would be better for high school. I know growing up it was always looked at as if the high school years were the ones that really count and I suppose a lot of parents had the attitude that perhaps it was worthwhile paying for those years. Some private schools have better facilities and perhaps they think their child will be more keen to stick with high school if they are stimulated more by what the school can offer. I doubt many of these "bad" high schools are really that bad. It may just be a handful of students giving the school a bad rep. I would advise personal visits to schools to see if you get a vibe about a school from both the staff attitude and students attitudes.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

I had a history cover lesson about 5 months ago (Feb/Mar). I have not studied history since taking my 'O' Level 28 years ago although I do enjoy the subject. The kids loved my lesson and one student kindly said he had learnt more in this lesson than he had all year! Nothing as planned as the teacher forgot to leave work (!) and we just talked as a group with me guiding them. To me, it's only so helpful to have knowledge, it's about enthusiasm, personlity, discipline and relationships. The point I'm making is don't get to concerned about teachers who failed years ago or are teaching outside their subject. Quite often these teachers will be working twice as hard to be successful.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
To be honest it isn't just NOR schools. Many state schools in Perth underperform in relation to the socio-economic nature of their catchments.

One of the key reasons is that many parents in NOR suburbs send their children to state primaries but then send them to private secondaries. Not all of the kids who are left in the state schools are disruptive but there is probably a higher concentration of children from parents who don't think that education is something to be valued - and therefore greater problems exist in these schools.

Why do parents take their kids to private schools? Because they perceive that the education experience will be better. Is it better? In many cases probably not.

There are huge issues caused by a lack of teacher accountability in WA (and in Australia generally). Not only that but the entrance qualifications for teacher training are extremely low - meaning that we have the irony of kids who perform poorly in schools for whatever reason going on to teach others in the very same schools in which they scored poorly.

There is also a lack of local autonomy for schools in Australia - there is a big brother approach to education which centralises huge amounts of decision making - including in many instances the recruitment of teachers. I don't believe that this provides a firm foundation for creating excellent schools.

Having said all of that, I am currently more optimistic about education in Australia than at any time in the last 4 years. The move towards greater accountability - pushed by the federal government; significant pay rises for teachers in WA; Julia Gillard puashing a form of Teach Australia and greater numbers of 'gifted' streams occurring in state schools (streaming is always contentious but it's something in which I firmly believe). All of this bodes well for education. There seems to be recognition at last that Australia is slipping behind the rest of the developed world.
I am sorry but students who perform "poorly" can NEVER become teachers (and would not want to be) Students who perform poorly end up at TAFE not uni. You stilll need to be a "B" average student to get into teaching training, and to be honest, I have never met a dumb teacher, only lazy ones. That said, as a teacher in the WA system, there are many things that could be done better.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zenshin
I would say the high school teachers would definitely have the required knowledge to teach their subjects.
You might want to believe that but you'd be wrong. Many might. Many don't.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
I am sorry but students who perform "poorly" can NEVER become teachers (and would not want to be) Students who perform poorly end up at TAFE not uni. You stilll need to be a "B" average student to get into teaching training, and to be honest, I have never met a dumb teacher, only lazy ones. That said, as a teacher in the WA system, there are many things that could be done better.
You don't need to apologise but you don't know what you're talking about.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-25918,00.html
Old Aug 1st 2009, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
I had a history cover lesson about 5 months ago (Feb/Mar). I have not studied history since taking my 'O' Level 28 years ago although I do enjoy the subject. The kids loved my lesson and one student kindly said he had learnt more in this lesson than he had all year! Nothing as planned as the teacher forgot to leave work (!) and we just talked as a group with me guiding them. To me, it's only so helpful to have knowledge, it's about enthusiasm, personlity, discipline and relationships. The point I'm making is don't get to concerned about teachers who failed years ago or are teaching outside their subject. Quite often these teachers will be working twice as hard to be successful.
There is a lot of value in what you say.

But for some subjects - for example maths, physics, chemistry - I believe that you need treachers who were successful in these subjects at university.

I have yet to meet a teacher who has not studied physics at university but has successfully taught a highly-able physics student up to the age of 17 or 18. Bright kids tend to find you out very quickly.

You can't get by with enthusiasm, personality and relationships when you are teaching university-bound students the fundamentals of molecular chemistry.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 8:44 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Maybe you should ask for opinions from people whose children have actually attended those schools before deciding that they are "bad". My children attend one of the so called bad schools and do quite fine, thank you.

Do people think that just because they pay a lot of money to send their kids to private schools there are no problems with them? From what I've seen there are just as many bullies, gangs, drugs, etc at private schools as the public ones, it's just covered up better.
My sister pays for her 3 kids to go to private school & in her own words "They are ferrell!!!" So you find them in private as well as state. IMO if I can find a state school that has similar results & has good reports then mine are going to a state school & i'll spend the money on something else... (like $6000 for my daughters braces!!)
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Can I just say again that I'm not saying they are bad, just curious that the perception of whether good or bad changes from primary to secondary school.
Know it's an old thread but my view on this is that Australia has so many fairly cheap private schools that paying for a little bit of selection at secondary just gives the kid a bit more breathing space - even if the drugs just get more expensive lol.

Can't think of any other real reason why so many would do it. I would not send my kids to a fee-paying school for results, just the very fact there is a selection means some effort is going on somewhere in the system. You're sifting out some of the biggest issues - somewhat arbitarily.