Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?

Wikiposts

Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?

Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:25 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tell renth!!

Play every week then do they??
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:26 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
It means that it is further, in milage, than anyother city, to any other city in the world, doh
As for criteria, i was talking about the major one, milage!!

i rest my case

Its expensive to leave :scared:

AUSSIE RULES!!!

But then again WA has got the Gingin dog cemetary and the Afgan camel hearders cemetary, i'm just dying for a visit

PS I have lived and worked in WA and love it

Expensive to get out? Flights to Europe are cheaper (with expetions of course)

And Aussie rules is in whole Australia! Heard of the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers?

Hey, when did you live/work in WA? I thought you just visited when you moved??
Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:12 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Good point Simone that was exactly what I was going to ask ?
And seeing as I'm bored (what's new...) I've done some surfing:

"Tourists commonly refer to Perth as the "friendly city", and famous notables have also renamed the city after their personal experiences. Astronaut John Glenn called Perth the "City of Lights" after his historic fly-over in 1962 and victorious America's Cup skipper Dennis Connor referred to it as the "most isolated city in the world". "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Perth, the most isolated city of its size in the world"

http://www.ssonet.com.au/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=2661
( didn't even know they had a 'Pride' festival!)
"Most articles about Perth speak of it as the world’s most isolated city, but this geographic isolation doesn’t stop it from being a cosmopolitan and vibrant place. "

"This modern city is often described as the most isolated city of its size in the Western World" (hmmmmmm )

The most isolated city in the world, the second windiest city in the world, yes, Perth has it all. If you listen to strange claims made by people who have no evidence behind their claims, that is.
(unfortunelty it doesn't go into it any further)

"A brief, hopefully informative, geography lessonfollows: Perth (capital of the state of Western Australia, population approxi-mately 1.5 million) runs a close second to Santiago, Chile as the world’s mostisolated city"

Important lessons I learned in Perth: Perth is the most isolated cityof more than 1 million people in the world.

Actually, it doesn't really matter if it is or not! It's actually pretty cool that it is, and still such a liveable city
My point (somewhere) was/is, what doesn't it have?
Now don't say jobs or choice, because that has to do with size.
By the way, isn't Perth growing rapidly (not as fast as Brisbane (luckily )
So, if your giving reasons for NOT moving to Perth name things like employment and less shops, unless you can come up with a (good) reason why isolation is bad... Oh, and unless you like doing city trips (not that I think the cities in Oz are so special, you'd be better of in Europe if you like cities and city activities anyway)

Oh, and please all realise that I haven't anywhere said that Perth is BETTER than other cities. All are fine, we're moving to Perth because I've lived there before and have friends there. For some jobs you'll definetely have more chance in Sydney and Melbourne.

Now, come on people, I WANT people to give me reasons that I'm wrong, or at least agree with me, so that I know I'm not talking crap (I get a bit confused sometimes, AND still have a lot to learn...)

A last quote:

The people of Mount Isa are a cosmopolitan crew - 24,000 folk and about 50 nationalities between them. They live in Australia's most isolated city, surrounded by Australia's unique landscape - rugged outback beauty, big lakes, old mines and wildlife.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:19 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Simone82
Now, come on people, I WANT people to give me reasons that I'm wrong, or at least agree with me, so that I know I'm not talking crap (I get a bit confused sometimes, AND still have a lot to learn...)
Simone, I think you have already bonded to Perth and WA as a kid. Live it, Love it.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 1:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally posted by Megalania
Simone, I think you have already bonded to Perth and WA as a kid. Live it, Love it.
Yes, I have. I'm biased.
I hope I do love it, which will probably only be determined whether I miss my parents or not. Sounds pretty stupid when I write it down, because I'm not that close to them, but I know there is a strong possibility it can happen.

Arrghghh, I wish I had your (annoying) 'gift' of keeping posts short! Maybe 30 years on...
Old Mar 19th 2004, 7:50 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stoney
Firstly have you taken a mediteranean holiday from England lateley... if you dont want to be crammed into some tacky resort sharing a hotel with the rest of the UK's lowlifes you will haveto pay well over 2000 quid never mind dollars for the family.

And as for Rottnest $35 for a trip to a leisure playground is a bargain, the people who say once you have been once that's it are the sort of people who get off the ferry wander around the cafe's for an hour and stand on the jetty for the rest of the time
before going home
Get stuck in to WA and its great
Most moaners on here want things at their feet why they came in the first place is a mystery
Go Stoney!!

Dead right mate. Our cousin from Perth says Sydney sider snobbery against Perth is rife and so far looks like he's right.

Shame really - both are quite different and lovely (in my opinion) in different ways. I guess it's not just the UK with a huge divide between north and south
Old Mar 19th 2004, 7:52 am

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by owieb
Didn't realise that you had to go to a 5-star resort to have a good holiday!
Shit thats where we have been going wrong
LOL
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:20 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Go Stoney!!

Dead right mate. Our cousin from Perth says Sydney sider snobbery against Perth is rife and so far looks like he's right.

Shame really - both are quite different and lovely (in my opinion) in different ways. I guess it's not just the UK with a huge divide between north and south
Sydney snobbery against itself is far worse. We hardly hear of Perth otherwise.

Anyway Mexico and Brissie don't have what Sydney and Perth do have. City surf beaches. It does all depend on ones outlook and lifestyle. As Owieb says that Ningaloo is just 12 hours drive from Perth, from Sydney a similiar treck will get you to Mexico and Brissie. For you lot in Perth to fly to Adelaide it is $150 ow. For us to fly to the other capital cities it is normally below $100 and a few hours less.

My point is the remoteness is there (and great for those who want it) but can be bought out of with cash and a little time.

BTW my theory is that Darwins proximity to Indonesia is what reduces its remoteness.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:28 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Expensive to get out? Flights to Europe are cheaper (with expetions of course)
who wants to go to europe, i moved here to get away from that pit
Hey, when did you live/work in WA? I thought you just visited when you moved??
1990 to 1991.

Spent a lot of time between Perth and Geraldton. Fantastic places, both of them and still feel like "home" even now, but i think a "holiday home" would be more apt for me. I am in no way knocking Perth, i love it and all your reasons for loving it are, imo, correct. But it doesn't matter how you look at it it IS isolated and having to fly to leave the state (or get anywhere else in a REASONABLE time) would send me stir crazy.

Its horses for courses, lets face it Aussie is soooo big, it has something for us all.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:34 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by bondipom

Anyway Mexico and Brissie don't have what Sydney and Perth do have.
not to mention the massive snobbery between MELBOURNE and Sydney
As Owieb says that Ningaloo is just 12 hours drive from Perth,
JUST 12 hours!!! yeah of complete nothingness (except the necropheliacs tour ) The first set of traffic lights you hit after leaving Perth are in Geraldton, heaving metropolis that it is
Then after that the delights of Canarvon, ok if you LOVE bananas and a long jetty
BTW my theory is that Darwins proximity to Indonesia is what reduces its remoteness.
No shit sherlock

Last edited by hevs; Mar 19th 2004 at 9:36 am.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:40 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

who wants to go to europe, i moved here to get away from that pit

1990 to 1991.

Spent a lot of time between Perth and Geraldton. Fantastic places, both of them and still feel like "home" even now, but i think a "holiday home" would be more apt for me. I am in no way knocking Perth, i love it and all your reasons for loving it are, imo, correct. But it doesn't matter how you look at it it IS isolated and having to fly to leave the state (or get anywhere else in a REASONABLE time) would send me stir crazy.

Its horses for courses, lets face it Aussie is soooo big, it has something for us all.
Aha!
Yep, big!

It definetly helps that I think that Perth isn't isolated because we lived in the northwest for nearly 2 years (17 hours from Perth)
And in the southwest, 3/4 hours from Perth.
It's all relative (also what is reasonable time to some isn't to others bla bla )

Now, Nullagine, that was remote! And hot! We drove 200kms to Newman every 2 weeks for shopping. And went to Perth for our christmas holiday!! Now, that was alright for a while (and I was a kid) I would definetly not want to live that remote for longer (I think, I can't know, because I haven't been in the situation.... )

My parents nearly bought the S-bend caravan park south of Geraldton in 1992, but didn't seem like a good idea(financially) so, they bought a wholesale nursery in the southwest instead (unfortunetly also not good financially, but at least we had friends there, and it was less isolated

Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:46 am
High in the Dandenongs

My parents nearly bought the S-bend caravan park south of Geraldton in 1992, but didn't seem like a good idea(financially) so, they bought a wholesale nursery in the southwest instead (unfortunetly also not good financially, but at least we had friends there, and it was less isolated

And less hot!!!
spoke to my friend in Gero yesterday, its still boiling!
The caravan parks still there, nothing much changes there, they just keep adding loads of new stuff on the edges. My grandparents lived in Tarcoola beach (a bloody lovely spot) and that WAS right on the edge of town, now its in a fair way. I'd just like to know what everyone does for work there though!!
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:50 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

JUST 12 hours!!! yeah of complete nothingness (except the necropheliacs tour ) The first set of traffic lights you hit after leaving Perth are in Geraldton, heaving metropolis that it is
Then after that the delights of Canarvon, ok if you LOVE bananas and a long jetty
CARNARVON??? :scared:

Kalbarri's a bit better... and Shark bay

Or, you could take the inland route, New Norcia, Meekathara! :scared:
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:51 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

not to mention the massive snobbery between MELBOURNE and Sydney
Yep. Thats a 2 way parochialism.
I guess you enjoyed the short trips driving around WA.

No shit sherlock
Others needed that pointing out.
Old Mar 19th 2004, 9:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

And less hot!!!
spoke to my friend in Gero yesterday, its still boiling!
The caravan parks still there, nothing much changes there, they just keep adding loads of new stuff on the edges. My grandparents lived in Tarcoola beach (a bloody lovely spot) and that WAS right on the edge of town, now its in a fair way. I'd just like to know what everyone does for work there though!!
yes, less hot, though my dad loved the heat (he's mad!) I'm still amazed he hasn't had skin cancer after always working out in the sun building houses and stuff!

Work in Geraldton area: mining!! (and of course a bit of farming/fishing/tourism)

here found this (am bored):
http://www.mwdc.wa.gov.au/default.asp?documentid=17

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.