Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?

Wikiposts

Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?

Old Mar 18th 2004, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stoney
with the rest of the UK's lowlifes
Think that says more about you.!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82

Nickyc, I don't really get you don't prefer Perth, but why always come in these threads, if you haven't even lived there.
I wouldn't want to live in Sydney (too big, to busy in NSW, I don't know why....) but I don't come into threads about Sydney.
I did actually live there for six months but couldn't stay any longer because I couldn't get a job!

I travelled across by train and back by road, so actually saw every mile pass by, which certainly helps to appreciate the distances involved.

I have good friends (from the UK) who lived in Perth on two occasions and know it intimately - but who don't live there any more.

I've lived in Australia for longer than you've been born, travelled all over it and would say I'm in a pretty good position to make comparisons.

I actually like Perth as a city. It's a nice size and there are some great things about it.

However, I think a lot people seem to be swayed by the picture postcard views of beaches at sunset, large cheap new houses and every weekend on the beach. They don't realise or appreciate the reality of living in a small city thousands of miles from any other major population centre.

Sure, if they're going to be happy with campervan holidays up and down the coast (not a lot of 5-star resorts in WA are there?)then good luck to them. They might not mind that to leave the state and explore anywhere else is either 6-days driving or a 4-hour flight. They might not mind that an awful lot of goods in the shops have to come over from the Eastern states with delays and extra expense involved. They might not mind that their pay is lower and white-collar jobs are fewer

But, if they hadn't realised any of that, and what I say makes them think that maybe migrating to the East Coast would be a more successful move for them - then I've done them a favour, haven't I?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:28 pm
owieb

Originally posted by nickyc
Sure, if they're going to be happy with campervan holidays up and down the coast (not a lot of 5-star resorts in WA are there?)then good luck to them.
Didn't realise that you had to go to a 5-star resort to have a good holiday!

Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:31 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Firstly have you taken a mediteranean holiday from England lateley... if you dont want to be crammed into some tacky resort sharing a hotel with the rest of the UK's lowlifes you will haveto pay well over 2000 quid never mind dollars for the family.

And as for Rottnest $35 for a trip to a leisure playground is a bargain, the people who say once you have been once that's it are the sort of people who get off the ferry wander around the cafe's for an hour and stand on the jetty for the rest of the time
before going home
Get stuck in to WA and its great
Most moaners on here want things at their feet why they came in the first place is a mystery

My mediteranean holidays have never been tacky but I can imagine some of them are, maybe the ones you went on?

And Mandurah, Rockingham and the rest of Perth isn't full of Brits then? last time I went down that way all I heard was English accents. I find that Australia is full of the type of people that love the 'tacky' type of holiday you mentioned!!!!

I don't think $140 for a family is a cheap day out (Rottnest) but maybe you do? It all comes down to how much you can afford, as a one off trip it's ok but every weekend then it's a no no.

I'am not sure what person (if there is one) would spend an hour in a coffee shop and the rest of the day on the jetty, maybe the 'low lifes who love the tacky med holidays' !!
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by owieb
Didn't realise that you had to go to a 5-star resort to have a good holiday!
Palais De Versace. Very tasteful and 5*. camping is much better than one upping the neighbours on the star rating.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 8:52 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nickyc
I did actually live there for six months but couldn't stay any longer because I couldn't get a job!

I travelled across by train and back by road, so actually saw every mile pass by, which certainly helps to appreciate the distances involved.

I have good friends (from the UK) who lived in Perth on two occasions and know it intimately - but who don't live there any more.

I've lived in Australia for longer than you've been born, travelled all over it and would say I'm in a pretty good position to make comparisons.

I actually like Perth as a city. It's a nice size and there are some great things about it.

However, I think a lot people seem to be swayed by the picture postcard views of beaches at sunset, large cheap new houses and every weekend on the beach. They don't realise or appreciate the reality of living in a small city thousands of miles from any other major population centre.

Sure, if they're going to be happy with campervan holidays up and down the coast (not a lot of 5-star resorts in WA are there?)then good luck to them. They might not mind that to leave the state and explore anywhere else is either 6-days driving or a 4-hour flight. They might not mind that an awful lot of goods in the shops have to come over from the Eastern states with delays and extra expense involved. They might not mind that their pay is lower and white-collar jobs are fewer

But, if they hadn't realised any of that, and what I say makes them think that maybe migrating to the East Coast would be a more successful move for them - then I've done them a favour, haven't I?
Yes, you're right. Some people don't realise that.

But there are a LOT of people that like camping holidays etc, I would never go to a 5 star resort.

It's your comments like 'eternal mystery' and 'propaganda' that get too me! THere's plenty of good things about Perth (yes, I know you know too) and also still jobs etc. It's not like it's the arse end of the planet. It's a city of 1.6 million, and they all seem to be surviving.... Or even doing very well!

And comparing it with Africa?? Come on!
And what would it matter anyway.... Some people (not you obviously) could still be happy if the city had everything you need...

And there's a lot between Perth and Broome, and Perth and Adelaide, but not if you're obviously a city person.
And yes, people do need to realise that.
I guess I just mean that others have got to realise that people are not always into city trips but camping trips....

THe thing is, what you say about Perth, people could also say about Australia in total:
isolated
fewer choice in jobs
fewer choice in shops
expensive food

But people still move to Australia over the UK....

And sorry about getting it wrong about you not having lived there, and you may be in Oz longer than I have lived, but I have lived in WA longer than you, and my parents have, and friends who've lived there all there lives..... so I don't know what your point was?
Comparisons, yes, but you are more just writing it off.... ?

Oh, and you never replied to the fact that lots of people were mentioning that there are lots of eastern states people living in Perth, who like it, wow, it's a miracle, and they even have jobs!!

Last edited by Simone; Mar 18th 2004 at 8:56 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:08 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth

Do people slag Tasmania off for being isolated? You want isolated, what about New Zealand?
Perth is the most isolated CITY in the world. fact. Weather or not you feel isolated is up to the induvidual
We like living here and we too would also rather move back to the UK than have to live in a cold, wet and depressing place like Melbourne with it's racially motivated soccer violence and gangland killings.
EXCUSE ME!!!
It was 26 today, a beautiful autumn day by my standards. ( and has been beautiful for weeks) Hardly COLD
We have only had one day of rain since the middle of January. Hardly that WET.
The sky is blue, i have rossella's kookaburras, black and white cockatoos (to name a few) in my back yard, the sun shines and the traffic aint too bad. Hardly depressing is it??
As for racially motivated soccer violence, eerrmm, thats in the UK right??
Gang land killings, one since i have been here, like i said its nice here in Melbourne. Perhaps you should come for a visit sometime
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Well I think Perth is fantastic, I spent 3 weeks their last Nov just on a holiday. I'd been their before about 10 years ago and I think it's now even better.

It's got great beaches and thriveing CBD, it's got a very efficient public transport system both trains and busses. Houses IMHO are cheaper than in Brisbane and the beach is on your doorstep instead of an hours drive away. The Swan river is a total contrast to the Brisbane river (which is similair to the Thames) in that it seems to be a series of lakes linked together rather than a river such that you cannot see across it in places it's so wide.

Cannot comment on the job situation as I didn't look. Just wish Brisbane was more like Perth.

However I could NEVER live their permenently as it's just TOO isolated but that must be obvious to you and if you are happy with that go for it and I'm sure you will have a ball.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 9:28 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so Perth is the most isolated CITY (I can hardly believe it though, what about Darwin?)

But what does this mean excactly?
What are the criteria for being isolated?

So, your're further away from other cities???
But Brisbane-Adelaide is just about as far, right?
So, disadvantages of being isolated? - not close to Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne.... Why does it matter? (except for people who do a lot of city trips)

Everything has to travel further to WA? Well, yes some things, but Perth is a big city, a lot is made there as well. And if it comes from overseas, well, it's closer to Europe and Singapore than Melbourne and Sydney.

There's less jobs(in some fields) - well, that has nothing to do with isolation, just with it being a smaller city... Tasmania is closer to SyD/Mel, but there's prob more employment opps in Perth.

So, what negatives are there with being the most isolated city? WHat do Melbourne and Sydney have that Perth hasn't?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:41 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so Perth is the most isolated CITY
Good point Simone that was exactly what I was going to ask ?
Old Mar 18th 2004, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karawara88
Think that says more about you.!

You dont know me but alll I know about you is that YOU couldnt get a job so you have scampered of home.
there are a lot of people who come out here from the UK who arent used to doing a good days work and they soon get sussed out , as far as office/IT work is concerned its vastly overpaid in UK for what you do and the Aussies have sussed that to, you get what your worth.
And before any bleeding hearts jump in, he started it.

Last edited by Stoney; Mar 18th 2004 at 11:07 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:09 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so Perth is the most isolated CITY (I can hardly believe it though, what about Darwin?)

It means that it is further, in milage, than anyother city, to any other city in the world, doh
As for criteria, i was talking about the major one, milage!!

comes from overseas, well, it's closer to Singapore than Melbourne and Sydney.
i rest my case

So, what negatives are there with being the most isolated city?
Its expensive to leave :scared:
WHat does Melbourne have that Perth hasn't?
AUSSIE RULES!!!

But then again WA has got the Gingin dog cemetary and the Afgan camel hearders cemetary, i'm just dying for a visit

PS I have lived and worked in WA and love it
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:09 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

You dont know me but alll I know about you is that YOU couldnt get a job so you have scampered of home.
there are a lot of people who come out here from the UK who arent used to doing a good days work and they soon get sussed out , as far as office/IT work is concerned its vastly overpaid in UK for what you do and the Aussies have sussed that to, you get what your worth.
And before any bleeding hearts jump in, he started it.
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Attached Thumbnails Why is Perth getting a hard time of late?-cid_002701c4087b%241edcc140%24606943d4%40computer.gif  
Old Mar 18th 2004, 11:22 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by hevs
AUSSIE RULES!!!
Aussie Rules In Western Australia Is 118 Years Old

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.