Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:00 am
  #46  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,551
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Does look like a Calibra on steroids though..........or a coupe version of any old commodore............is
It looks better than a Calibra in IMHO.

A women at work had the blokes pissing themselves when she described a 'yellow 2 door Commodore'.
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:12 am
  #47  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,158
iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

I have a very nice car.
It's got 4 wheels and one for spares. It has an engine which turns the drive shaft which makes the wheels go round. There's a round thing I twist when I'm sitting in the driving seat and that makes the front wheels go left and right, but not at the same time.
This in turn, takes me to the places I want to go. <falls over in astonishment> It's pretty good.
Compared to the car I had in the UK, it works exactly the sam I used that for getting from A to B too.

Last edited by iPom; Nov 3rd 2006 at 6:14 am.
iPom is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:43 am
  #48  
LSH
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 88
LSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Well guy's i have been a German fan for many years! Mainly Audi but having seen the cost of purchase and insurance i decided to look into the Local Oz market, once i got here (7 weeks ago). So and some might say foolishly i have got a Holden Calais V V6 3.6 and am hoping it stays reliable! I was very taken with the spec of the car and if any of you have driven the new models the way in which it has a German feel to the drive!! I know i was surprised so here's hoping it stays ok, if not its down to the Audi shop post haste.

I was very close to buying a Golf GTI but with all this straight road stuff and religious speed watching i thought a cruiser was in order! Dont know what you guy's think?

Leo (Jury is still out on Oz)
LSH is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:47 am
  #49  
Life's a gamble
 
Suni&Jay's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Solihull2Gold Coast-Sept '06
Posts: 2,492
Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by LSH
Well guy's i have been a German fan for many years! Mainly Audi but having seen the cost of purchase and insurance i decided to look into the Local Oz market, once i got here (7 weeks ago). So and some might say foolishly i have got a Holden Calais V V6 3.6 and am hoping it stays reliable! I was very taken with the spec of the car and if any of you have driven the new models the way in which it has a German feel to the drive!! I know i was surprised so here's hoping it stays ok, if not its down to the Audi shop post haste.

I was very close to buying a Golf GTI but with all this straight road stuff and religious speed watching i thought a cruiser was in order! Dont know what you guy's think?

Leo (Jury is still out on Oz)
What Audi did you compare to? 3.6 V8 can't be cheap on fuel, so cost in long run?
Suni&Jay is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:54 am
  #50  
LSH
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 88
LSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
What Audi did you compare to? 3.6 V8 can't be cheap on fuel, so cost in long run?
I got the 3.6 V6 (still over 250bhp) which is a little better on fuel, i get around 9L per 100k. But as i said looking at the cost of purchase and the insurance it was worth taking a risk on the local market.

The only Audi's in this price bracket would be A3's! 2.0T being quick but not that much better on fuel and the TDI being excellent on fuel but insurance and the higher cost of Diesel i decided to drive a hard bargain with a local dealer and see how it went.

Leo
LSH is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:04 am
  #51  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,583
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by iPom
I have a very nice car.
It's got 4 wheels and one for spares. It has an engine which turns the drive shaft which makes the wheels go round. There's a round thing I twist when I'm sitting in the driving seat and that makes the front wheels go left and right, but not at the same time.
This in turn, takes me to the places I want to go. <falls over in astonishment> It's pretty good.
Compared to the car I had in the UK, it works exactly the sam I used that for getting from A to B too.
You either 'get' cars or you don't.
You obviously don't, but I'm sure there is something you like that car lovers don't.
Amazulu is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:10 am
  #52  
Life's a gamble
 
Suni&Jay's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Solihull2Gold Coast-Sept '06
Posts: 2,492
Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by LSH
I got the 3.6 V6 (still over 250bhp) which is a little better on fuel, i get around 9L per 100k. But as i said looking at the cost of purchase and the insurance it was worth taking a risk on the local market.

The only Audi's in this price bracket would be A3's! 2.0T being quick but not that much better on fuel and the TDI being excellent on fuel but insurance and the higher cost of Diesel i decided to drive a hard bargain with a local dealer and see how it went.

Leo
I have a A3 2.0T DSG, had same and 2.0TDI DSG back in the UK. Looked at all the oz cars, but just don't feel like they are well built.
Anyway hope all goes well with your car.
Suni&Jay is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:24 am
  #53  
LSH
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 88
LSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
I have a A3 2.0T DSG, had same and 2.0TDI DSG back in the UK. Looked at all the oz cars, but just don't feel like they are well built.
Anyway hope all goes well with your car.

I hope it does too!

How do you like the 2.0T? I had the A3 2.0TDI DSG in the uk and have to say its one of the best cars we have had! I even had an S4 at one point but settled for the A3TDI.

Leo
LSH is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:41 am
  #54  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,158
iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You either 'get' cars or you don't.

ROFL! What's to 'get'? It's a car.... a mode of transport bottom line. I don't think Australian cars are crap any more than other cars in any other country.

You obviously don't,.
Really? I'm glad you think you know me so well.

iPom is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:49 am
  #55  
Proudly Deplorable
 
Amazulu's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: Alloha snack bar
Posts: 23,583
Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by iPom
ROFL! What's to 'get'? It's a car.... a mode of transport bottom line. I don't think Australian cars are crap any more than other cars in any other country.



Really? I'm glad you think you know me so well.

Whatever dude.
Like I said, you don't 'get' cars.
An Aston Martin DB9 is not the same as a Toyota Camry.
Amazulu is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:53 am
  #56  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,158
iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by Amazulu
]
An Aston Martin DB9 is not the same as a Toyota Camry.
Really? Knock me down with a feather.

My choice would be a British racing green MGB GT, purely for the legroom you understand. I'm more of a classic car sort of girl. Modern cars don't hold the same attraction for me.
They're not so common in Aus though.


... but like you say... 'whatever, dude'.

Last edited by iPom; Nov 3rd 2006 at 7:56 am.
iPom is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 8:20 am
  #57  
Life's a gamble
 
Suni&Jay's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Solihull2Gold Coast-Sept '06
Posts: 2,492
Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by LSH
I hope it does too!

How do you like the 2.0T? I had the A3 2.0TDI DSG in the uk and have to say its one of the best cars we have had! I even had an S4 at one point but settled for the A3TDI.

Leo
Yeah, love it, Like I said had both 2.0T DSG and 2.0TDI DSG, prefer the 2.0T.
Would have liked the 3dr as we had in UK but as it's our only car in oz went for 5dr (bloody kids!)
They don't do a S-Line in the A3, WTF is all that about?
Test drive RS4 if you get a chance
Suni&Jay is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:12 am
  #58  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 72
Melchels is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

How can anyone from UK possibly moan about Aussie cars! The UK car industry.....what car industry!

Now when we did have a British car manufacturer they came up with:

Austin Allegro
Austin Maxi
Mini Metro
Morris Marina
Rover 800
Triumph Acclaim
Austin Ambassador......need I go on?
Melchels is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:14 am
  #59  
Life's a gamble
 
Suni&Jay's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Solihull2Gold Coast-Sept '06
Posts: 2,492
Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by Melchels
How can anyone from UK possibly moan about Aussie cars! The UK car industry.....what car industry!

Now when we did have a British car manufacturer they came up with:

Austin Allegro
Austin Maxi
Mini Metro
Morris Marina
Rover 800
Triumph Acclaim
Austin Ambassador......need I go on?
NO! I think you can stop there
Suni&Jay is offline  
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 10:03 am
  #60  
LSH
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 88
LSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant futureLSH has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
Yeah, love it, Like I said had both 2.0T DSG and 2.0TDI DSG, prefer the 2.0T.
Would have liked the 3dr as we had in UK but as it's our only car in oz went for 5dr (bloody kids!)
They don't do a S-Line in the A3, WTF is all that about?
Test drive RS4 if you get a chance

Would i love an RS4!!!

It's either the house or an RS4, difficult one really! Have you seen the price of them and they dont even come with demerit points, get out of jail cards!! I ask you.
LSH is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.