Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
\\
So are you more in to the sound and look of a car then ?

Did you have a peg and playing card on the back wheel of your bike.......

I did but grew out of it aged about 11 back in the 70's..........me thinks most V8 crazy hoons here are still stuck in that era....just my opinion.

There's a word for those in to being more concerned with how things look.....what is it now...........oh yes, poseur isn't it.

What fancy cars are you referring to that are made like Matchbox cars?..there's plenty everywhere in the world but I have yet to see anything made in Oz that is any good be it sports car or not.......the Ford Territory isn't all bad mind you......Monaro ......I need to have a go.
But UK drivers make their Matchbox cars sound even 'louder' for such a small car.

I love the Holden and Ute, from the 1970s, and the Fords from the 70s too.

Apart from that, not concerned.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

I know next to nothing about Oz made cars, but I do remember the Vauxhall (Holden) Monaro being one of Top Gear's cars of the year for 2004.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie cars not the best but, give me a Ford Falcon over a Ford Mondeo anyday.

This may have been true of the early Mondeo, but the new models are a very different vehicle. I believe that they were designed by the same people who did the VW Passat.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
Aussie cars not the best but, give me a Ford Falcon over a Ford Mondeo anyday.

This may have been true of the early Mondeo, but the new models are a very different vehicle. I believe that they were designed by the same people who did the VW Passat.
Agree. But then the newest Fords are not really that bad either or have improved since 1998. I was actually originally comparing the mid 90s models. I have a 1995 Falcon. Apparently, and I find it hard to believe, but the EF was one of the safest cars in its size when it was introduced in 1994.

Il feel that Aussie cars do not compare with some European cars - they wouldn't in the same way most yank cars wouldn't.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:34 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

In the big scheme of things, who really gives a monkeys, if it can get you from point A to point B and back again. If anyone listens to that Professor Stern , we will all be walking or on horseback within the next 10 years anyway, to curb global-warming. No-one will be driving a car or flying, so what is the big debate abut which country's car is better?
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
In the big scheme of things, who really gives a monkeys, if it can get you from point A to point B and back again. If anyone listens to that Professor Stern , we will all be walking or on horseback within the next 10 years anyway, to curb global-warming. No-one will be driving a car or flying, so what is the big debate abut which country's car is better?
.................if we take heed of the gaz guzzlers now perhaps our kids will also be able to enjoy getting from a to b..........
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:39 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Well........I saw the Top Gear report and I have sat in one...that's as close as I have got.

Does look like a Calibra on steroids though..........or a coupe version of any old commodore............is much of the car designed and built from scratch without borrowing anything from elsewhere ?..........

(No...don't open up the Porsche 911 debate on design never changing)
Why change a good thing? (911)

Last edited by Suni&Jay; Nov 3rd 2006 at 3:46 am.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:45 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't get comfy in any oz cars we tried, just don't seem to be built as well as german cars. You can buy a much higher spec oz car for a mid spec euro car.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:52 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by themerlin
What gets me is when these people driving these V8 things start to cry and moan when fuel prices get a little high.
I had this Sheila behind me the other day in her 'Bundaberg' livery Ute. Not only did she have her ****in foglights on, she also had high beam on...it was a beautiful day with clear blue skies FFS!

Sure she had a tache.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

i dont think its the cars i think its the dick heads mechanics that work on them i got a brand new MIT's triton $37g had it one day and couldn't get it into gear took it back using in 3rd there was no oil in it got it back and it has a clunk! took it back again to get the wheel bearing tightened up the clunk they said was cos !its a truck gearbox! he Nair i dont think so trucks have hi and low 16 gears mate it still clicks i paid $1650 dealer delivery and got nothing its just a rip of just on trying to buy another one guess wot it wont be a Mitsubishi :scared:
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:54 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Bloke
They maybe kack but the don't sound and look like Matchbox model cars.
Where's DunroaminUK when you need a laugh?

Ok ok, easy tiger.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:57 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Olibeneli]I have been known to drive a few fancy cars but jeeze, these V8s here are shite.

It's all show and no go........chrome this and that, loadsa noise and the car is held together (just) by a bit of tape and a few screws. Very poor quality IMO.

Simple fact.....there is not a half decent Oz made sports car.

If there is please enlighten me.

I saw a holden commodore 4.0 V8 4 door saloon that must have been 15 years old at least........shite bucket with a tattooed pony tailed middle aged guy driving it and this damn thing has his kids in it......and the thing has got a roll cage inside..............WHAT THE F***...........so he's going racing in it is he.............or was the roll cage to hold the thing together???.....I could possibly understand it if he was 16 and no brains/experience. Is this the middle aged men still stuck in 70's land brigade?

Bet he shops in bare feet too..........

Oh yeah........bare foot shopper advocates.......please wear shoes so you don't have to waste so much water washing your feet every day ....there's a drought on you know.

I'm still in an argumentative mood.....

I'm hoping to resurrect an old argument on here where some guy was saying Oz V8 super cars were the pinnacle of motorsport........come on !!![/QUOT]

most things in OZ are shite mate

you just get used to it
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pleased with my V6 Camry.

(Aussie made)
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I'm pleased with my V6 Camry.

(Aussie made)
Are they made in Oz.......I didn't know that.

Is the factory here but staffed by ....err.....immigrants.......

(ducks for cover)
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Are they made in Oz.......I didn't know that.

Is the factory here but staffed by ....err.....immigrants.......

(ducks for cover)
Made here.

I know! Something from Australia which is actually top quality. Shocked me too! (ducking for cover with you - wait until vash gets up. He'll be coughing on his Cornflakes when he re-reads this thread. There'll be bowls flying, spoons clanging and milk spilled as he bangs that keyboard looking for a reliability index hyperlink)

(Next car will probably be a Honda or Toyota import though.)

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Nov 3rd 2006 at 4:35 am. Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.