Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

I have been known to drive a few fancy cars but jeeze, these V8s here are shite.

It's all show and no go........chrome this and that, loadsa noise and the car is held together (just) by a bit of tape and a few screws. Very poor quality IMO.

Simple fact.....there is not a half decent Oz made sports car.

If there is please enlighten me.

I saw a holden commodore 4.0 V8 4 door saloon that must have been 15 years old at least........shite bucket with a tattooed pony tailed middle aged guy driving it and this damn thing has his kids in it......and the thing has got a roll cage inside..............WHAT THE F***...........so he's going racing in it is he.............or was the roll cage to hold the thing together???.....I could possibly understand it if he was 16 and no brains/experience. Is this the middle aged men still stuck in 70's land brigade?

Bet he shops in bare feet too..........

Oh yeah........bare foot shopper advocates.......please wear shoes so you don't have to waste so much water washing your feet every day ....there's a drought on you know.

I'm still in an argumentative mood.....

I'm hoping to resurrect an old argument on here where some guy was saying Oz V8 super cars were the pinnacle of motorsport........come on !!!

Last edited by Olibeneli; Nov 2nd 2006 at 11:23 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 12:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by Olibeneli

I'm hoping to resurrect an old argument on here where some guy was saying Oz V8 super cars were the pinnacle of motorsport........come on !!!
V8s are kack, give me Brit Touring Cars anyday.

Oh yeah........bare foot shopper advocates.......please wear shoes so you don't have to waste so much water washing your feet every day ....there's a drought on you know.

Best argument yet for the anti-barefeet brigade
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:15 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

No. They are all shite.
Crap Yank cars made in Australia.....badly.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Oh I’ll join in too…. Cr8p American way of putting a badly performing huge block engine into a tin can. God forbid it has to be able to turn a corner whilst driving. Oh, and the Aussie fix for these rubbish blocks, stick a supercharger on it……!!!!

The Germans have always been brilliant engineers. They’ve now got a production model 1.4 litre engine pushing nearly 200bhp. That new Golf GT would amaze many a local hoon. They’d still be burning their tyres in a plume of smoke as the 1.4 reaches the next set of lights. That’s just straight line stuff. Any country / hilly roads and it’ll be a case of.......“I’ll put the kettle on for you”

Graham
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

StellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura aboutStellaDave has a spectacular aura about

I have been known to drive a few fancy cars but jeeze, these V8s here are shite.

It's all show and no go........chrome this and that, loadsa noise and the car is held together (just) by a bit of tape and a few screws. Very poor quality IMO.

Simple fact.....there is not a half decent Oz made sports car.

If there is please enlighten me.

I saw a holden commodore 4.0 V8 4 door saloon that must have been 15 years old at least........shite bucket with a tattooed pony tailed middle aged guy driving it and this damn thing has his kids in it......and the thing has got a roll cage inside..............WHAT THE F***...........so he's going racing in it is he.............or was the roll cage to hold the thing together???.....I could possibly understand it if he was 16 and no brains/experience. Is this the middle aged men still stuck in 70's land brigade?

I'm still in an argumentative mood.....

funniest post I've read all day, LOL.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:14 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
V8s are kack, give me Brit Touring Cars anyday.

They maybe kack but the don't sound and look like Matchbox model cars.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:21 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

No matter how bad they are,im sure they'll still be an upgrade on my Fiat Punto.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

A simple answer to your question, no there isn't

I have been trying to make this point in the year I have been here.

The only aussie built car that would do any good on the world stage is the Ford Territory.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

I drive a Australian built car and its fantastic.

It looks great.
Drives great.
The build quality is superb.
Its economical for a big car.

Above all I would buy another one

But it is a Mitsubishi!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

But it is a Mitsubishi! [/QUOTE]

I didn't realise what a poor reputation Mitsubishi has over here, every garage I go into has a bad word for them. In the UK they have a good reputation, someone said thats because the UK ones are made in Japan and not Australia.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:53 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Ive heard cars are more expensive in Oz.
Is an aussie made one cheaper than the imports?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by brido
Ive heard cars are more expensive in Oz.
Is an aussie made one cheaper than the imports?
It depends on what you want. If you want European they are a bit dearer.

My Subaru Impreza worked out the equivalent of £12500 here, in the UK it would have been almost £18000.

My Sister has just brought a Merc 350SLK, this was $109000 on the road, thats about £45000, I think that is about the same as the UK.

John
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jond
[SIZE=7]

I didn't realise what a poor reputation Mitsubishi has over here, every garage I go into has a bad word for them. In the UK they have a good reputation, someone said thats because the UK ones are made in Japan and not Australia.
I'm on my 5th Mitsy and have had no faults with any of them. The one I have now is a pain to work on, you have to strip part of the engine to change the 3 rear spark plugs, but you only change them every 100,000km anyway. I think garages just don't like working on them, most Mitsubishi cars in Australian and New Zealand are made in Japan its just the Magna/Diamante/380 that is made in Australia. But I could be wrong I know they have a big engine and assembly plant in Victoria.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:56 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Why are Oz made cars shite ?....Is there a decent one in existence

Originally Posted by jond
I suggest that in the UK they have a good reputation because there are hardly any of them on the road to begin with, and therefore you will have fewer reports of bad apples. I've been in the UK for nearly three years, and seen only a couple of Mitsus in that time - both of them 4WDs.

I can assure you that the Japanese-made ones are just as dodgy as those made in Australia. The company has enough recalls to fill a book.

Click here for the details...
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Best argument yet for the anti-barefeet brigade [/QUOTE]

But the bare footed brigade don't wash their feet do they

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.