Why Oz

Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

susannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant future
Default Why Oz

Hi I'm new to this forum. I am trying to decide between New Zealand and Oz to move perm with my 2 year old son.

I am studying to teach. I really just wanted to know why you all decided on Oz?

Susi
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Oz

Originally Posted by susannah
Hi I'm new to this forum. I am trying to decide between New Zealand and Oz to move perm with my 2 year old son.

Susi

Three good reasons:

1. Better weather
2. Better economy/opportunities
3. Citizenship in two years from permanent residence - not five.

Jeremy
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:42 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Susi

Because I can and life's too short
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:29 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Susi
Hi Susi

Simply for me, I have lots of family in Aus, I have been to Aus and loved it.

Not sure which country I'd have gone for if not for family ties, New Zealand would have been very very tempting.

But then again if you go to New Zealand and you don't like it you can always wait a few years then make the move to Aus.

Just go where you think you will find what you're looking for!

Best of luck
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:51 pm
aussie73

l read on the forum a while back there were a few people who immigrated to NZ and when they went to OZ for a holiday found they liked OZ much better.
One of them wanted to move from NZ to Queensland, said they liked the warmer climated and the beaches.

Last edited by aussie73; Jul 20th 2005 at 11:03 pm.

Old Jul 20th 2005, 11:15 pm
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aussie73
l read on the forum a while back there were a few people who immigrated to NZ and when they went to OZ for a holiday found they liked OZ much better.
One of them wanted to move from NZ to Queensland, said they liked the warmer climated and the beaches.

Well everyone is different. I know a couple who went to Aus and ended up in New Zealand as they found Aus to dry and not like UK, they love New Zealand.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradley7
[B]
But then again if you go to New Zealand and you don't like it you can always wait a few years then make the move to Aus.
Five years plus processing time for NZ citizenship is a long time to wait. Most people will qualify for Australian citizenship a lot more quickly.

Australian citizens can live freely in NZ, and while NZ citizens no longer get automatic PR in Australia (just indefinite temporary residence), Australians in NZ still get automatic PR. Rules could always change but that's the way it is for now.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

susannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Five years plus processing time for NZ citizenship is a long time to wait. Most people will qualify for Australian citizenship a lot more quickly.

Australian citizens can live freely in NZ, and while NZ citizens no longer get automatic PR in Australia (just indefinite temporary residence), Australians in NZ still get automatic PR. Rules could always change but that's the way it is for now.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I am going to look into it better. The idea of 2 year PR is very appealing I must admit.

Thanks again

Susi
Old Jul 21st 2005, 7:49 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by JAJ

Perhaps the best thing she could do would be to immigrate to OZ and if after 2 years when she has Aussie Citizenship, she decides she prefers NZ she could easily move over there.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 8:52 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: Why Oz

Susi

Go for Oz. Do the 2 yrs. Get your Oz passport regardless of how you feel. It will behandy whatever you do after that.

It's better for employment, weather's easier, politics better I think. More opportunities. If it's beach and suburbs you like, it's Oz. If it's country life i.e. cows in paddocks, horse riding, and more village-like feel, go NZ.

If you think you can manage financially better in the UK and will miss family, don't go at all. It depends on what motivates you.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 9:03 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Go for Oz. Do the 2 yrs. Get your Oz passport regardless of how you feel. It will behandy whatever you do after that.

It's better for employment, weather's easier, politics better I think. More opportunities. If it's beach and suburbs you like, it's Oz. If it's country life i.e. cows in paddocks, horse riding, and more village-like feel, go NZ.

If you think you can manage financially better in the UK and will miss family, don't go at all. It depends on what motivates you.
or if it is the country life, as said above, that you like go to Tasmania get the best of both worlds. Scenic wize very similar to NZ

Last edited by possoms; Jul 21st 2005 at 9:05 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:44 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by possoms
or if it is the country life, as said above, that you like go to Tasmania get the best of both worlds. Scenic wize very similar to NZ

However, I will say if you are into the country life, NZ has no evil paralysis ticks to kill ya dog and no snakes but I agree from what my hubby says Tas is v. much like here.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 2:24 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mumomonty
However, I will say if you are into the country life, NZ has no evil paralysis ticks to kill ya dog and no snakes but I agree from what my hubby says Tas is v. much like here.
They do however have sandflies that are big enough, and mean enough to take your dogs head clean off.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 10:33 am
Member of Mumo-land

Originally Posted by PeteY
They do however have sandflies that are big enough, and mean enough to take your dogs head clean off.

Yeh that's true.
Still love Oz though. It's so unique.