Why OZ?

Old Mar 13th 2005, 6:35 am
aussie73

Default Why OZ?

What was it about OZ that made you choose it over other countries such as
Western Europe or Canada, was it the climate, beaches, outdoors, same language similar culture and system of government.

Old Mar 13th 2005, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice
Default Re: Why OZ?

Originally Posted by aussie73
Western Europe or Canada, was it the climate, beaches, outdoors, same language similar culture and system of government.
For me a mix of many things. However some factors include:

Family moving there
Beaches/Climate
Outdoors style life possible for more than 2 weeks a year!
Similar Language
Strong Job market
It's not england!

Alex
Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

for me.. anywhere was preferable to New Zealand! ...just got lucky in the fact i love Australia.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:14 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by aussie73
It chose me as I met my husband there.

I had to leave the place and return to the UK to appreciate it's good points though.

M

Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:20 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
It chose me as I met my husband there.

I had to leave the place and return to the UK to appreciate it's good points though.

M
You had to leave to appreciate what you had lost

I had to come to learn to appreciate something I never knew existed - a place I feel truely comfortable with.

Cas
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:26 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
You had to leave to appreciate what you had lost

I had to come to learn to appreciate something I never knew existed - a place I feel truely comfortable with.

Cas
This is true, whilst all the posts everyone makes are very valuable to those wanting to make a move to wherever, it is certainly something within that makes us happy when we are there, if that makes sense.

I have enjoyed being back to the UK, it has answered some questions for me but somehow my heart never really left Australia. I thought it would have done as the 7 years I was there in Oz I was homesick but realised that it was only the people in the UK I missed, not "England".

As someone once said "Home is not home until you are there!".

M

Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

English speaking - too lazy to learn another language.

Not American - I am not enamoured by the north American continent.

Australian attitude - it's positive. UK is full of pessimism.

Different weather - spent all our life in the wet and wind.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:29 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Bix

Australian attitude - it's positive. UK is full of pessimism.
Blimey Bix you will be shot down in flames for that comment! UK full of misery guts Never!!

I have to say on reflection of both places, I did find a more of a sense of optimism on a day to day basis in Australia, more than the UK. Even going to work, somedays I feel like screaming as those I work with put everything down, they find it hard to see the brigther side of anything.

M

Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:42 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

You see this in the workplace all the time. It only takes one pessimist to ruin the atmosphere for all. The good manager will change that persons attitude or if that fails isolate them for the good of all.

Good things do not come from dullness and pessimism. They come from positive and lively attitudes.

I have always tried to instill this in those around me. Look at any given event and try to find something positive. It may only be that it has been a learning experience but that in itself is a positive thing.

Now to use a couple of television quotes:-
I didn't get where I am today by being a pessimist.
Always look on the bright side of life.

Smile and the world will smile with you.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:50 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Bix
You see this in the workplace all the time. It only takes one pessimist to ruin the atmosphere for all. The good manager will change that persons attitude or if that fails isolate them for the good of all.

Good things do not come from dullness and pessimism. They come from positive and lively attitudes.

I have always tried to instill this in those around me. Look at any given event and try to find something positive. It may only be that it has been a learning experience but that in itself is a positive thing.

Now to use a couple of television quotes:-
I didn't get where I am today by being a pessimist.
Always look on the bright side of life.

Smile and the world will smile with you.

So true

Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:08 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
English speaking - too lazy to learn another language.
I thought you were from Cornwall? Surely you had to learn English before you came here?

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Merlot]Blimey Bix you will be shot down in flames for that comment! UK full of misery guts Never!!
/QUOTE]
We took our bikes to the Peaks yesterday and hired a trailer for bub...the guy on the desk told us it was a bit late in the day (2.30) to be hiring bikes (they close at 5). He reluctantly hired us a trailer. He then shouted at another customer for skidding on oneof his bikes as it would wear out the tires. It was like "you can hire our equpiment but please make sure you do not have any fun" It was so amusing the fact he was such a misery guts.

As for going to Oz, we went first time as it was easy to get a PR visa (sister sponsored us) and IT was on the MODL, so it meant we could go and achieve our objective (live/work/travel overseas before starting a family). But now we plan to go back, with baby, before the PR runs out.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 11:46 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Gorthugher da Dagboy.

Syns dha glapp.

Nos dha.