Why OZ?

Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:59 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why OZ?

wow

I know I've asked this before , but taking a peek in here I'm amazed at what lengths people go to to get to Oz and saddened by how everybody seems to be negetive about Britain...I've known people who've gone for a visit over there and have a good friend who's there to stay but what's the big attraction for a Brit to go to Oz?

..I mean there's a whole World out there and you know what?
believe it or not you get bloody homesick when you leave ..wouldn't want to see the price of an airfair from Oz to U.k

What happened with people going to the south of France or Spain for a spot of sunshine?? Maybe it just seems this way to me cos i'm in the Oz forum
Or is there really an Exodus of Brit's moving to the Land down Under?

p.s Only asking because i'm seriously considering moving back to Britain
Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:17 pm
scoobydoo

Default Re: Why OZ?

Hello!

For us it was because we had family here, had been a few times and liked it here and other "english speaking" countries did not appeal so much.

I think a lot of people feel that it is easier to move somewhere where the language is not a problem and they think that the culture is very similar to the UK, not my personal opinion though!! And of course the sun is a draw to some as well!
We assumed that the airfare home for a visit would be affordable...silly us....wouldn't be able to afford to go home for a holiday on australian wages! It is a long way...too far for us and we miss friends and family terribly.

We have some sensible friends who are moving to Spain and taking the time to learn the language etc....a much better idea than jetting off to a far away place like this and it is still in Europe so they will have the benefit of all that lovely culture and cheaper travel opportunities - and their relatives will be able to visit easily.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:25 pm
Mel Gibson

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
wow

I know I've asked this before , but taking a peek in here I'm amazed at what lengths people go to to get to Oz and saddened by how everybody seems to be negetive about Britain...I've known people who've gone for a visit over there and have a good friend who's there to stay but what's the big attraction for a Brit to go to Oz?

believe it or not you get bloody homesick when you leave ..wouldn't want to see the price of an airfair from Oz to U.k

What happened with people going to the south of France or Spain for a spot of sunshine?? Maybe it just seems this way to me cos i'm in the Oz forum

Its an English speaking country, Living in Europe there countless situations where people don't understand what you are saying and routine things such as opening a bank account applying for a job or making friends can be difficult with a language barrier. Its easy to drive in OZ because its
one of the few countries that drive on the Left hand side of the road like the UK, well except when Aussies are drunk.
It has a nice sunny climate, fantastic beaches, its not overcrowded or as polluted as Europe or the roads as conjested. It has a booming economy, one of the strongest in the world and British qualifications are more recognised
in OZ then any other country including Canada and the USA or Europe.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

wow

Hi Celtic Angel!
I think the saying is.... "Familiarity breeds contempt"
When you're living in the U.K things become so familiar so as to become boring and almost drudgery. (This was the case with us anyway!) You stop seeing what's good anymore and just start taking it for granted anyway. In our case we just craved a bit of excitement and change (before we got too old!) Sometimes you get fed-up with life becoming too predictable...
I think the lure of Australia is partly the weather (you only think of the sunshine before you get here, not the humidity, storms or skin cancer..)
The opportunities (most people percieve Australia as an "up and coming" country)
The lure of cheaper, bigger, more luxurious housing for your money, possibly mortgage free, with a swimming pool... (not realising that was before the boom, reality is often a different story... older style house, needing renovation, which is expensive as it is illegal to do many of the works yourself because licenses are needed to do most of the works, also it could be dangerous as it was probably built using asbestos products.. )
Less unemployment (people often omit the fact that many people are employed on a "casual" basis)
Less crime......we all know the reality there...
Everyone speaks English, so no need to learn a foreign language.. (fooled again!)
Besides all that, it's so hard to get in, and everyone else seems to want to go there, so you think it must be bloody good!
There IS a lot of good stuff here too.....
But there is in the U.K too, you just need to get away sometimes to appreciate it again though!
We too sometimes consider going back, not every day though.......!!
Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

wow

I assume you're living in Aus, and I have to agree that the reality often sneaks up on people and bites them on the bum!

I'm curious, how long have you been out there? And had you visited before emigrating?

I spent several months out there in the mid 90s, so even though some things have no doubt changed, I have a pretty good idea of some of the downsides as well as the plusses.

It's been said before, but I think many people want to move to an English-speaking country in the sun. Sounds simplistic, and in many ways it is, but it does save having to learn a foreign language.

I know what you mean about too much sun. I'm not going for the weather and could quite happily live in Tas, or at a high altitude in the New England Tablelands, which I particularly liked.

I'm certainly under no illusions about less crime (yeah right) or fewer social probs (yeah right, again), but I do love the space and the wildlife. Give me a modest dwelling in the bush and let me live out my dreams of being an eccentric old man who writes and illustrates books on Aussie nature! Well I can dream......

Oh, and if it doesn't work out, I can quite happily return to my picture postcard village in the Kentish Downs, because I love it here too.
Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:56 pm
wombat42

[QUOTE=kath n kim]Hi Celtic Angel!
Everyone speaks English, so no need to learn a foreign language.. (fooled again!)

What do you mean by this? Everyone in OZ does speak English, except for a small handful of migrants, Is'nt is a requirement now that all immigrants to OZ be able to speak English. Kath n Kim can you name me one experience you have had in OZ where no one could understand you because you were speaking English.

Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:09 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by kath n kim
Hi Celtic Angel!
We too sometimes consider going back, not every day though.......!!
If you both want to go back, then go back ,stop being a couple of whinging Poms hanging about the place like a bad smell, complaining about how deadful OZ is all the time.

Last edited by wombat42; Oct 24th 2004 at 11:13 pm.

Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

Why Oz because it is a beautiful country with friendly people who respect the environment . Dont expect it to be all wonderful but I dont think the UK is all bad either. We are going because you only get one life and we want to live ours if we dont like it after a couple of years we will move on . We are in our 40's and have lived and worked within a 10 mile radi us of where we are now all our lives so its time to seek adventure
I also think that we are lucky to have the opportunity I just hope we get that piggin visa !!
mary
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:31 am
owieb

believe it or not you get bloody homesick when you leave
Not everyone does!

Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Their not winging poms they are just stating their observations. No harm in that. Of course everyone is free to emigrate to whatever country they choose, Visa permitting. However what I find amazing is the number of posters who are emigrating to a country when they have never been to it or have been on a 2 week holiday and suddenly feel that all their problems will be solved by this move. Reasons for the move I have seen have been everything from less crime, to a need to not watch so much TV to a better quality of life for their children. Many of these people have not done any real research. Moving to Oz is not like moving from little britain to bigger britain, it has its own unique culture, which for some, bizzarely, can come as a surprise. For those who are moving soley for the purpose of a better life, maybe it would be an idea to look closer to home first. If the area you live in has too much crime then look at moving to another area or at least a country that allows you easy access to family should that be applicable, for those that want to get out of the 'rat race' you can do this yourself without all the upheaval. For those that dont want to watch so much TV..guess what, turn it off. Almost all problems can be solved 'in house' however if you still want to go then do it, but do your RESEARCH. Just remember that once you get there you are a zillion miles from your family and airfair is not cheap. IF after all this you still want to emigrate then great, go for it but remember its not always going to be easy but the more realistic you are the more chance you have of succeeding.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:43 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Their not winging poms they are just stating their observations. No harm in that. Of course everyone is free to emigrate to whatever country they choose, Visa permitting. However what I find amazing is the number of posters who are emigrating to a country when they have never been to it or have been on a 2 week holiday and suddenly feel that all their problems will be solved by this move. Reasons for the move I have seen have been everything from less crime, to a need to not watch so much TV to a better quality of life for their children. Many of these people have not done any real research. Moving to Oz is not like moving from little britain to bigger britain, it has its own unique culture, which for some, bizzarely, can come as a surprise. For those who are moving soley for the purpose of a better life, maybe it would be an idea to look closer to home first. If the area you live in has too much crime then look at moving to another area or at least a country that allows you easy access to family should that be applicable, for those that want to get out of the 'rat race' you can do this yourself without all the upheaval. For those that dont want to watch so much TV..guess what, turn it off. Almost all problems can be solved 'in house' however if you still want to go then do it, but do your RESEARCH. Just remember that once you get there you are a zillion miles from your family and airfair is not cheap. IF after all this you still want to emigrate then great, go for it but remember its not always going to be easy but the more realistic you are the more chance you have of succeeding.
I must say that I can't help agreeing with every word you say. I was rounded on in another thread earlier today for pointing out, quite politely I might add, that it really would be a pretty good idea to visit Aus for more than just a couple of weeks before emigrating there.

I read somewhere recently that the numbers of people who move back to the UK is about 1 in 4. Most of those returning said that it was 'not what they expected'.......

This response is very telling.....
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marysidey
Why Oz because it is a beautiful country with friendly people who respect the environment .
mary
I wish my fellow australians would respect the environment, my pet hate ciggie butts out the car window inflaming the country, marine life so full of ciggie butts and plastic bags we even have to ban smoking on the beach, people pouring water down the drain washing the petrol guzzling 4wd when we have drought. Buying large powerful cars when in reality the speed limits make that a joke. Building totally unsuitable houses for the climate, then discovering they are boiling in summer and need constant airconditioning, scoffing more junk food than most races then disposing carelessly of the packaging. And dumping stuff to avoid the $5 fee pathetic.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by wombat42
If you both want to go back, then go back ,stop being a couple of whinging Poms hanging about the place like a bad smell, complaining about how deadful OZ is all the time.
Hi Wombat42!
Was wondering where you were..... I was starting to get a bit worried, thought you might not have noticed me!
Take it easy, take a deep breath and count to ten. getting all hot under the collar and worked up isn't good for your blood pressure you know. (Especially in this heat!)
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=wombat42]
Originally Posted by kath n kim
Hi Celtic Angel!

What do you mean by this? Everyone in OZ does speak English, except for a small handful of migrants, Is'nt is a requirement now that all immigrants to OZ be able to speak English. Kath n Kim can you name me one experience you have had in OZ where no one could understand you because you were speaking English.
It's english Wombat42..........
but not as we know it!!!!
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I wish my fellow australians would respect the environment, my pet hate ciggie butts out the car window inflaming the country, marine life so full of ciggie butts and plastic bags we even have to ban smoking on the beach, people pouring water down the drain washing the petrol guzzling 4wd when we have drought. Buying large powerful cars when in reality the speed limits make that a joke. Building totally unsuitable houses for the climate, then discovering they are boiling in summer and need constant airconditioning, scoffing more junk food than most races then disposing carelessly of the packaging. And dumping stuff to avoid the $5 fee pathetic.
Couldn't agree with you more jad n rich!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.