Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why oh why can you not get a decent ute in the UK?

Why oh why can you not get a decent ute in the UK?

Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:44 pm
Badge

Default Why oh why can you not get a decent ute in the UK?

here we've got 2x4, 4x4 hiluxes etc.

We're getting twin cab pickups now...(with the commercial insurance)

But why can't you get a decent bloody ute in the UK?

I see a Sierra one knocking around, c 1982.

It's enough to make you want to get on a plane and migrate...

Badge

Or am I wrong. Can you?!

Old Nov 21st 2003, 4:00 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why oh why can you not get a decent ute in the UK?

Originally posted by badgersmount

Badge

Or am I wrong. Can you?!
The white van man is more popular over here..i would guess its somthing to do with the weather?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

AussieinLondon is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen fairly modern (if not new), very ute-like things in London. Can't recall who produces them. They are a ute with a detachable cover for the tray (like a proper ute really, derr). People here never take the detachable bit off. That would be the weather as noted above.

I'll keep an eye out and the next time I see one, I'll post something like "I found a ute in the UK". Don't hold your breath in anticipation though
Old Nov 21st 2003, 4:21 pm
Badge

but they're the spate of new 'pickups', where people have left the canopy on...

I'm talking bout the car-ute..must be the weather - you'd get your tools wet, eh?

Badge

Old Nov 21st 2003, 4:30 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

There has never been a market demand(so everyone kept telling me) for utes in the UK.I can't ever recall seeing a flat bed ute in the UK either.Even the UK spec hilux comes with a car engine,just for that country.Its because people in charge tell us what we want and we have become a nation of unfarmable sheep.
Said with exception to most people on this site as we're all trying to do our own thing
Old Nov 21st 2003, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Just imagine if you had your own Ute over here it would come complete with its own swimming pool in the back I imagine that is why they are not very popular, you would have to have one of those revolting platic clip on covers on top for most of the year!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 4:39 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Does'nt stuff just get nicked out the back of a ute? Surely you can't leave stuff in there anyway?

You could get a fibreglass top i guess....
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:12 pm
Badge

Tina I once saw a piccy of a aussie family in an impromptu pool in the back of a 4x4 Hilux. Complete with toys etc, beer.

Badge

Old Nov 21st 2003, 6:43 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

but they're the spate of new 'pickups', where people have left the canopy on...

I'm talking bout the car-ute..must be the weather - you'd get your tools wet, eh?

Badge
I read in Autocar magazine recently that Vauxhall were going to start importing a Holden Pickup from next year. I'll see if I can find it & post more details.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by PeteY
Does'nt stuff just get nicked out the back of a ute? Surely you can't leave stuff in there anyway?

You could get a fibreglass top i guess....
You have large metal boxes bolted on the back of the ute which lock, protect from theft and wet weather, by large I mean about 5 foot long one on each side usually and a small one inbetween.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:10 pm
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough

Badge

Or am I wrong. Can you?!
Had to post Badge

I run a proper UK ute not even close to aus utes? its not a grey import its official UK spec. the insurance comps dont sting U if they list it as a non commercial vehicle!! (hard to find though).
If you cant find a co try NFU Direct (national farmers union direct).

my one is a navara by nissan it is 2.5 tdi and is the 2001 (old shape) and is just about useful all round????

Off road in dam difficult situs it will out perform R rovers new type as well as old.
The 2001 and half model is much better on the road but very much lacking off road the fuel cons is better with more top end speed.

Aviod the ford ute Ugh drive it and see what i mean.

The Mittsie is good ( very thirsty) but lots of money for less spec,,,, high insurance due to boys that like big tyres,,,,,, the on road ability is less than the nissan (4x4 ability is very rough) and for that matter the load area (the side cheeks are not as deep as the nissan) is much less, even more so if u intend to put a canopy on top.

Try the Isusu or Chevi depending on your importer a dam fine vehicle works very well off or on and very good on fuel good load area but still only grey import material so expensive on insurance.

Dont be tempted on cheeper imports cos they cost u lots on insurance and excess if it all should go wrong!!!

All that beside Badge get rid of the family saloon ( i was running a 3.0 petrol with no tax beni and got the pick up claimed all me VAT back and now get depriciation value etc etc.) pay your money take ya choice etc but drive them all!!! the chevi is the one if you can get the insurance (6 speed 4.2l tdi etc etc.) you could look out for the nissan 3.0 tdi explorer beter engine apparently not driven it yet though

Utes in Oz well big engines fat tyres 8 foot by 4 foot load areas and go very fast (in a straight line) great for work
Old Nov 21st 2003, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

will_e_web is an unknown quantity at this point

Because it rains a lot here.

If it helps, think of a van as a hard-topped ute. Then buy a van, and be amazed that nobody can just reach into the back of it to steal things like you can with a ute.

Will

Badge

Or am I wrong. Can you?!