why oh why?

Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about
Default why oh why?

This subject has probably been asked hundreds of times, but bear with me i'm new. why when we have what is probably quite a good life in england do we want to emigrate? i cant quite put my finger on it, is there an answer! isaustralia really any better than here? we have a nice semi, 2 cars, o.k payed jobs, yet still have the urge to give it all up. if we could take our situation here and drop it in aus we would go tomorrow, but you cant see into the future. we don't have great expectations at all, of course we must work and pay bills, it's just a nagging at the back of our minds. i know there is no answer but god it's doing my head in, help please!!!!
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:54 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: why oh why?

Originally posted by carryon
This subject has probably been asked hundreds of times, but bear with me i'm new. why when we have what is probably quite a good life in england do we want to emigrate? i cant quite put my finger on it, is there an answer! isaustralia really any better than here? we have a nice semi, 2 cars, o.k payed jobs, yet still have the urge to give it all up. if we could take our situation here and drop it in aus we would go tomorrow, but you cant see into the future. we don't have great expectations at all, of course we must work and pay bills, it's just a nagging at the back of our minds. i know there is no answer but god it's doing my head in, help please!!!!
Its an old British meme threatening to invade your mind in the form of deams of Utopia.

Take a long, long holiday in Aus; kill or cure.
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

You probably want to go as you realise that there is more to life than a small island sandwiched between the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean.

People emigrate for different reasons - one is search of a better life, another is for a change or new challenge, another to be near family - and there's no doubt more. There is no right or wrong reason to do it - there are many reasons. (I came for the latter two.)

You could spend your days in the UK wondering 'what if' or you could give it a go down under. I don't think you can lose on a personal level - you can only gain by having enriched your life.

Of course there are costs involved and only you will know whether the 'adventure' is worth the risk financially. But if you are driven by a need to discover more of this world over and above anything material, then I would definately say give it a go.

Good luck
HP
Old Nov 22nd 2003, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about

Like the idea of meme, but more than likely just prefer better weather....
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Like the idea of meme, but more than likely just prefer better weather....

..but you said yesterday you were thinking of going to Melbourne???

(In the last week we've had temps from 39.1 to 10.4 degrees, blistering sun to 20mm of rain in 20 minutes. It's crazy!)
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
You probably want to go as you realise that there is more to life than a small island sandwiched between the North Sea and Atlantic Ocean.

People emigrate for different reasons - one is search of a better life, another is for a change or new challenge, another to be near family - and there's no doubt more. There is no right or wrong reason to do it - there are many reasons. (I came for the latter two.)

You could spend your days in the UK wondering 'what if' or you could give it a go down under. I don't think you can lose on a personal level - you can only gain by having enriched your life.

Of course there are costs involved and only you will know whether the 'adventure' is worth the risk financially. But if you are driven by a need to discover more of this world over and above anything material, then I would definately say give it a go.
maybe your right, i must say i'm not to bothered about a better life, just different, but convincing the wife is a different matter, if we go i'm sure we wouldn't return, all or nothing i say..
Good luck
HP
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
..but you said yesterday you were thinking of going to Melbourne???

(In the last week we've had temps from 39.1 to 10.4 degrees, blistering sun to 20mm of rain in 20 minutes. It's crazy!)
no, we had considered melboune from a jobs point, and will still be visiting in march, main places set on are brissie and perth, having already been to perth and loved it, i know melboune weather can be shite, the idea of the next 3 months sitting in doors here pisses me off. last 2 days it has hardly got light. my daughter thinks it's time for bed at 2,0 clock coz it's bloody dark.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 12:55 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I blame Kylie...and Rolf...
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We want to go because:

boredom with the mundaneness of life here;
because we can!;
Sense of adventure;
The explorer in me wants to get out;
Sick of the rat race;
We earn lots of money and spend lots on holidays to the sun!

We are in the same situation as you. We have a good secure life here, but who wants to be stuck in the same house/place for the rest of their life? It is exciting to try something new and if you manage to get the same sort of security out there the climate will be a whole lot better as well!
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 7:42 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
We want to go because:

because we can!;
Sense of adventure;
Sick of the rat race;

We are in the same situation as you. We have a good secure life here, but who wants to be stuck in the same house/place for the rest of their life? It is exciting to try something new and if you manage to get the same sort of security out there the climate will be a whole lot better as well!
Ditto ...

I'm sure most people who do this feel insecure at times with their decision. I know I do! But we don't want to waste this chance, we don't want to regret not doing it becasue we were scared and afraid of the huge step in emigrating.

All the things we have....house, cars, good jobs... they're material things and will come again with hard work and commitment.

We all only get one crack at this life and I for one want to live mine to the full. I don't want to be sat in my rocking chair in years to come thinking ' what if ?'

So, what's the worst case scenario if it doesn't work out in Oz? We come back and start again. O.k, bit of a bugger, but hey... at least I can sit in that rocking chair and bore everyone with ' Look at what we did...!" stories !!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up

We want to go because:

because we can!;
Sense of adventure;
Sick of the rat race;

Good answers, some of them ring true, i also think of our future as well as that of our 4 year old, the thought of retirement here the way things are dosn't bode to well, what with pensions and that. it would be a nice thought to retire in a warmer climate, also my best friend died last year aged 39, i must admit it made me think about my own mortality.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by TraceyW
Ditto ...

I'm sure most people who do this feel insecure at times with their decision. I know I do! But we don't want to waste this chance, we don't want to regret not doing it becasue we were scared and afraid of the huge step in emigrating.

All the things we have....house, cars, good jobs... they're material things and will come again with hard work and commitment.

We all only get one crack at this life and I for one want to live mine to the full. I don't want to be sat in my rocking chair in years to come thinking ' what if ?'

So, what's the worst case scenario if it doesn't work out in Oz? We come back and start again. O.k, bit of a bugger, but hey... at least I can sit in that rocking chair and bore everyone with ' Look at what we did...!" stories !!!!
if we go i've said i certainly would not come back, but my wifes abit flakey on that matter, the cost of returning would be huge, you have to make it work. when we done a list of pros and cons i honestly couldn't find a thing i would miss about this country, my parents and brother say go for it, wifes mum says good on ya, but my wife hasn't even mensioned it to her dad, said shes scared what he will say. i say fowarned is forarmed!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 2:52 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

if we go i've said i certainly would not come back, but my wifes abit flakey on that matter, the cost of returning would be huge, you have to make it work. when we done a list of pros and cons i honestly couldn't find a thing i would miss about this country, my parents and brother say go for it, wifes mum says good on ya, but my wife hasn't even mensioned it to her dad, said shes scared what he will say. i say fowarned is forarmed!!!
I'd say we're all pretty much going with the attitude that we will not be coming back. What's the point in all the heartache if you jack it in and come home? But, it could go wrong, unforseen things may happen. You cannot be 100% sure of something working until you do it. Me and hubby are just preparing ourselves for the worst case scenario...if it all goes wrong, for whatever reason. I'm sure you've read peoples bad experiences on this forum and I bet they went out with the intention of giving it their all and not coming back.

We also have two young children 4 & 2. We worry so much that this is the right thing for them. Again...won't know 'til be do it. We say, we'll give it two years of 100% trying, if after that time ( and after gaining citizenship) we don't feel it's working we will re-assess the situation.

As for your wife not telling her Dad, I completely understand that one. Hubbys parents have been fantastic in supporting us through this, my parents on the other hand...not so good.
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TraceyW
I'd say we're all pretty much going with the attitude that we will not be coming back. What's the point in all the heartache if you jack it in and come home? But, it could go wrong, unforseen things may happen. You cannot be 100% sure of something working until you do it. Me and hubby are just preparing ourselves for the worst case scenario...if it all goes wrong, for whatever reason. I'm sure you've read peoples bad experiences on this forum and I bet they went out with the intention of giving it their all and not coming back.

We also have two young children 4 & 2. We worry so much that this is the right thing for them. Again...won't know 'til be do it. We say, we'll give it two years of 100% trying, if after that time ( and after gaining citizenship) we don't feel it's working we will re-assess the situation.

As for your wife not telling her Dad, I completely understand that one. Hubbys parents have been fantastic in supporting us through this, my parents on the other hand...not so good. I understand what your saying, thats why huge investigation is called for, visiting places first is a must, we will be going to all the places we've shortlisted, visiting hospitals concerning jobs, checking prices of goods, foodstuff, household, even as far as knocking on peoples doors to get a realistic view of what life in certain areas is like. Of course nobody would go through all this if they didn't have the intension of giving it 100%, but a thread on here a while ago, a chap said his family had finally got to melbourne, then his wife decides she can't stand spiders and the like and wants to come home after 3 weeks, thats madness, i hope they sorted it out and best wishes to them. i want to no all the pitfalls before hand so no shocks await us and you cant say i didn't expect this or the other. we have a list 2 foot long of subjects we want to ask, although a lot of the questions have been answered on here. But we want to here it from the horses mouth so to speak.....
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

We want to go because:

because we can!;
Sense of adventure;
Sick of the rat race;

Yeah, pretty much the same as Tina. I also have a bit of a turbulent past that I'd rather forget and not having the ups and downs of my family in my face spurs me on. But it's a bug inside of me that will always be itching if I don't at least try it.

Noodle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.