Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why nurses????????

Why nurses????????

Old Oct 21st 2003, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why nurses????????

Don't you think its worrying that there are so many nurses jobs available in Oz at the moment?
Is this because everyone over there is ill?
Or
Is it because their NHS is as crap as ours and there's low morale leading to a huge turn over of staff?

Just a thought............

Tazzy
Old Oct 21st 2003, 9:12 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Why nurses????????

Originally posted by Tazzy
Don't you think its worrying that there are so many nurses jobs available in Oz at the moment?
Or
Is it because their NHS is as crap as ours and there's low morale leading to a huge turn over of staff?

Tazzy
Maybe its the wages...a bowl of rice, and a pat on the head don't quite see you through the week methinks.
Old Oct 21st 2003, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

Or

Tazzy

There's a national shortage of nurses in the UK and in Australia mainly because of an ageing population.
I'm a radiographer and there's a national shortage there because the government decided to reduce the number of training places about 10 years ago and now wonder why there aren't enough to staff the hospitals, after all, most of these ill people need an x-ray.
I had a phone interview for the job I've been offered in Oz and when I was asked about the workload I deal with in my present job there was a lengthy silence and then the comment "Oh, I hope you aren't too bored here"....All I can say is bring on the boredom!

Claire
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 7:05 am
Goodpubmisser

My girlfriend/Partner is a nurse (Australian born). There are actually a lot of female part time and non working Nurses around due to having to look after their children.

The Government in its typical vertical thinking frenzy has made more places available at Universities so that more Nurses can be trained. As it is Universities struggle to fill their Nursing placements.

What about a bit of lateral thinking for a change - give Nurses free child care? This would persuade many of the female Nurses above to come back work/go full time. Some of the wards which lie empty at a hospital due to lack of nursing staff could be utilized.

Nursing is a stressfull job as they have to deal with people in pain etc. In actual fact a full time Nurse at a Private hospital gets paid slightly less than a public hospital.

:lecture:

Old Oct 22nd 2003, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

What about a bit of lateral thinking for a change - give Nurses free child care? This would persuade many of the female Nurses above to come back work/go full time. Some of the wards which lie empty at a hospital due to lack of nursing staff could be utilized.

If only the government had a bit of lateral thinking. This would be the answer to a lot of problems in Health care and Education!:lecture:

Tazzy
(the teacher)
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Sorry there Goodpubmisser, that top paragraph was quoted from you, just didn't go all small like it usually does!!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:02 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

there are many reasons why everywhere is short of nurses - low pay, crap hours are the main ones. colleagues/patients crappy attitude towards you, threat of abuse, assault, even murder. crap childcare, expensive childcare, inadequate childcare areothers. On the wider scale, its down to lack of government funding of the NHS in general. And our nursing and midwifery council are deciding to put our 3 year registration fee from £60 to £150 every 3 years ; add onto that annual union fees of up to £150 - we dont object to paying it, but thats our annual payrise gone!!
I have just gone back to nursing after 3 years out, having been qualified for 13 years. I have had to start back right at the bottom - £17100 pa. Australian Nurses are paid according to their evidenced years of practice, so get from $38,000-$52,000; I beleive this all depends on State, Private/Public hospital etc.As I have said before, nurses from uk and oz have highly regarded qualifications and are welcome everywhere - many younger nurses (and some of us older ones!) are taking up the opportunity to go and work abroad. If you regathered all the uk nurses from across the world and put them back into the nhs perhaps there wouldnt be a shortage!!

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Oct 22nd 2003 at 9:05 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:03 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

If only the government had a bit of lateral thinking. This would be the answer to a lot of problems in Health care and Education!:lecture:

Tazzy
(the teacher)

That would be a marvellous idea - it would save me the £290 a week I currently pay!!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
That would be a marvellous idea - it would save me the £290 a week I currently pay!!!!

Good grief! Is that the going rate for child care these days? I had no idea that's how much it cost. (With one on the way all this kind of info is valuable to me!!)
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 9:36 am

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Good grief! Is that the going rate for child care these days? I had no idea that's how much it cost. (With one on the way all this kind of info is valuable to me!!)

dont panic, unless you are having twins!!
My twin boys are 2 1/2 and are in full time childcare at £130 each a week, plus my 6 year old goes to after school club at £27.50 a week. Dont expect too much from the tax credit thingy either, I get around £60 a week!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 10:16 am
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Same here! I pay £210 per week for 2 children. I get £35 per month to "help towards the costs"LOL!!!!!
However, I could have had much cheaper childcare. It could have cost me £150 per week, if I was happy with a witch (I jest not!!!) looking after my kids!!!!!
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:17 pm
Nutty Nurse

LondonNurse will become famous soon enoughLondonNurse will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Foggies
There's a national shortage of nurses in the UK and in Australia mainly because of an ageing population.
I'm a radiographer and there's a national shortage there because the government decided to reduce the number of training places about 10 years ago and now wonder why there aren't enough to staff the hospitals, after all, most of these ill people need an x-ray.
I had a phone interview for the job I've been offered in Oz and when I was asked about the workload I deal with in my present job there was a lengthy silence and then the comment "Oh, I hope you aren't too bored here"....All I can say is bring on the boredom!

Claire
I wish I could be bored at work, sigh!!!

It takes the piss in the UK tho, especially London. Got 11 student nurses on my ward at the moment!!!! And i'm working on a childrens ward. Now you may think ooh that'll help ease the laod but I'm afraid to say I sometimes havent got time to go for a wee let alone do a teaching session :-(

Placements are absolutly bulging in London and its not fair on the students or patients the students learning is being comprimised as they have to toss a coin between them over who gets to do obs, who gets to do the drug round with me, etc... It's just not on. would you want someone looking after you who didnt have a lot of practice during their degree?

I'd love to know how many staff did train in the 80's and 90's cos it seems like nobody did! the staff nurses on my ward are all in there mid 50's or early 20's and there is a huge retention problem. Most nurses only stay on the ward 6-12 months at the most because of the cost of living and constant staff shortages...

I'm hoping to leave soon, gain PR and do my midwifery degree in Oz asap.

P.S anyone know where's good for miders in Oz?
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:32 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

Hello from one London nurse to another!!!
We're hoping to move to Perth and I came across this website.

www.wchs.health.wa.gov.au

Not posted a link before. hope this works. If not, I'll send you a PM.

Anyway, give it a go, it looks really well presented.
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 2:32 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

Yeh hey!!!!

It works..
Old Oct 22nd 2003, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

personally i dont think its anything to do with the nhs, hospitals will be the same all around the world,

its a lifestyle change where the weather is better and we can afford to live a little better with the income generated from the house sale

patients, in my opinion are the same wherever you live

and why not nurses, just as much as to say why not doctors plumbers, pasterers, hairdressers, there are other people who are on the modl list who deserve to get in just as fast as nurses, after all without the builders and other such people we wouldnt have the hospitals to work in

arlene