Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why not many pools in Melbourne?

Why not many pools in Melbourne?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:36 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why not many pools in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by The Crow
That's why The Basin stays so green - all the rainwater running down from Mt Dandenong I quite often drive up and over the mountain to visit a friend in Monbulk and it can be lovely and sunny here - but I can hit fog and rain on the mountain and then sunshine again the other side. Great driving route though
I went over Mt Dandenong about mid to late Feb and it was all green up there. It was greener then that it is now down here on the MP. There's a lot of areas up there and to the east that are reminiscent of the UK (if only the roads were busier ).

Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pinny
Hi Everyone
I have searched quite a lot of properties in the Melbourne area & have come to the conclusion that there are not that many with pools (well not as many as i expected).
Is there restrictions put in place for pools ie water restrictions or are they just expensive to run.
Anyones advice on this matter would be grately appreciated.
Cheers
Enough said about the weather, we had ours installed as soon as we bought the place - kids only seem to use them till their late teens and we wanted them to get as much fun out of it as possible.

We bought before the water restrictions got too bad so we didn't have to pay extra for the initial fill. I think they're quoting around $2k for newly installed pools - just for the water which has to be shipped in - ours only cost $50 to fill from the tap in the first place.

The other thing with water restrictions is that you're required to top them up with a bucket or recycled water. Now at 2 -3 hours to fill by hose you can get a lot of excercise (and spillage) being on bucket duty.

The guy who installed our pool is moving on to building works and has been helping us out with renovations over the last few months. He tells me that pools are still selling pretty fast even though, like everything else, they are much more expensive than they were.

You can negotiate on a pool - just like you would on a car but in the same way they'll try to reduce the specification while they're discounting. Just stick to what you want, tell them you can't afford or won't pay what they're asking and see if they'll be flexible.

Finally I think the need for a pool also depends on your lifestyle and where you live. We're an hour from the coast so nipping to the beach of an evening isn't an option and we've an acre block so we don't really need to worry about loss of garden.

Hope this helps.

Carolyn
Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:52 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
. Best time for rain is the winter months, but often thats more drizzle/ grey skies than heavy rain.

Agree, but then I've been here 3 winters
Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:54 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We are having a pool for next summer - we may consider solar heating to prolong the use. Our friends in the neighbourhood - in fact we have four close by with pools - use theirs from Nov-Mar. Obviously solar heating and a pool blanket/cover keeps the temperature up - doesn't bother me to much, I like cold water

Just to add there are 6 outdoor pool complexes within 20 min drive from us - these are also open Nov/Dec-Mar -- so can't be that bad, can it!!
You kept that quiet, we'll be at yours for our summer holidays now
Old Apr 19th 2008, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
You kept that quiet, we'll be at yours for our summer holidays now
Fraid it's not going to be a snazzy in-ground one! Friends of ours have an above-ground pool (7mx3m), but have decked around it and it looks great
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:01 am

Fraid it's not going to be a snazzy in-ground one! Friends of ours have an above-ground pool (7mx3m), but have decked around it and it looks great
It'll be better than ours mate

The girls are going to have a ball
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

hi all

can anyone please tell me cost implications for a pool

how much to install and running costs per month / year
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
hi all

Yes the implications are I can't afford it
Old Apr 19th 2008, 6:20 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the implications are I can't afford it
even earning the kinda money you are Frazer ???

Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
hi all

how much to install and running costs per month / year
$40,000 - $50,000 for a "normal" one to install. Up into the $100,000+ for specially shaped ones with palm tree islands, water slides, infinity edges and waterfalls.

Or so I'm told.

Buzzy
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
$40,000 - $50,000 for a "normal" one to install. Up into the $100,000+ for specially shaped ones with palm tree islands, water slides, infinity edges and waterfalls.

Or so I'm told.

Buzzy
You can get one much cheaper then that mate.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

You can get one much cheaper then that mate.
I was including installation, pool pump, excavation, pool blanket, rubber duck, inflatable chair....

Buzzy
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I was including installation, pool pump, excavation, pool blanket, rubber duck, inflatable chair....

Buzzy
I'm sure you can get a drop in one for around $20-30k all in.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:04 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you can get a drop in one for around $20-30k all in.
Yes its called a bath tub
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Yes its called a bath tub
Wow an 8 metre bath tub, what do you do in the bath

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.