Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Move To Australia

Wikiposts

Why Move To Australia

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:59 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Move To Australia

I think that dependent on your situation that some of the items in your list are going to affect you. Comes down to your frame of mind and attiitude on how the negatives affect you overall experience.

We have been out here since October and we have really enjoyed ourselves. Yep from your list I could say

1) Bank charges can be annoying
2) Creepy crawlies can freak you out some times
3) There are some really expensive areas and there are some really cheap areas. The problem is finding the inbetween areas (Cheap areas are usually cheap for a reason). But they are out there. Use whatever support you can get because arriving in Melbourne with a bit\lot of internet research will not prepare you for how big it is.
4) Yep there is high tax but isn't there in the UK.
5) Very lucky found a job in my field straight away. This one really depends on your profession and perseverance as well as luck.
6) Yep it can be have to shop around
7) GST=VAT. Its the Stamp duty that gives me the sh*ts
8) Possums can be annoying if they get in your roof etc but I'd be more worried about the rats.
9) Havn't seen any snakes yet.
10 and 11) Melbourne climate suits us fine we get some hot days and a cool change can be a real blessing. Can't comment on what the winters like though as we aint been through it yet but it can't be worse than UK.
12 and 13. Taking your credit card to the doctors takes some getting used to. Dentist bills are gonna hurt when the kids need braces etc.

The main thing to remember when moving to another country is that you have to start up a new life and theres gonna be good and theres gonna be bad just as there was in your old life.

Listen to the negatives cos having them in mind lessens the blow of when they happen to you for real.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 12:59 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dazuk
For our active years though, prefer ... an ignorant uninformed view of the world in general.
Quorn seems to be having the desired effect.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:02 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Megalania
That's two cracks about quorn. You got something against vegetarians? If you do, spit it out - don't just make sly innuendos.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:02 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

an ignorant uninformed view
You didn't need anybody elses did you Daz you have plenty of your own
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:03 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

Originally posted by downunderpom
That's two cracks about quorn. You got something against vegetarians? If you do, spit it out - don't just make sly innuendos.
Quorn ...... spit it out

Amazing how they go together so well
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:06 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by HUP
Quorn ...... spit it out

Amazing how they go together so well
Now THAT'S funny. I just get annoyed at these 'subtle' cracks. If Megalomaniac has somenthing to say against Quorn, or vegetarians, then say it. Don't hint. I don't do 'hint' very well. I prefer straight talk.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:06 pm
dazuk

Originally posted by HUP
You didn't need anybody elses did you Daz you have plenty of your own
Good to see you have adopted the aussie attitiude of personal insults over reasoned debate.

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:07 pm
dazuk

Originally posted by Megalania
So you have a problem with non meat eaters, must scare you, are you an Aussie by any chance???

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:12 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

Good to see you have adopted the aussie attitiude of personal insults over reasoned debate.
Nah nothing to do with Aussie attitude. Its the attitude I save for tw*ts who can't seem to do anything but whinge, wherever they live. Its the attitude I save for tw*ts who generalise an entire population with sad and ignorant observations.

Hey Daz the hat fits you "Come on down"
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:17 pm
dazuk

Originally posted by HUP
Nah nothing to do with Aussie attitude. Its the attitude I save for tw*ts who can't seem to do anything but whinge, wherever they live. Its the attitude I save for tw*ts who generalise an entire population with sad and ignorant observations.

Hey Daz the hat fits you "Come on down"
OK good to see you judge me and call me a twat, like I said you are a real aussie now, cant bear to hear anything bar good news regarding Aus. I am a whinging pom, how original , you are not generalizing at all then???

Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:19 pm
I like kittens.

, you are not generalizing at all then???
Nope - I think HUP was being QUITE specific.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:24 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

No...I think it is more of an issue of the inability of someone to get a vegetable (grow, buy or steal), prepare it, cook it and eat it. I could off course be wrong.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:25 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

So you have a problem with non meat eaters, must scare you, are you an Aussie by any chance???
Sorry, prefer bigger game, nice of you to offer yourself but.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:26 pm
I like kittens.

Originally posted by Florida_03
No...I think it is more of an issue of the inability of someone to get a vegetable (grow, buy or steal), prepare it, cook it and eat it. I could off course be wrong.
Now you've completely lost me - Quorn is mushroom.
Old Feb 22nd 2004, 1:27 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Now you've completely lost me - Quorn is mushroom.
So your a mushatarian then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.