Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is it the men don't seem to get homesick but the women do!!??

Why is it the men don't seem to get homesick but the women do!!??

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:39 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Why is it the men don't seem to get homesick but the women do!!??

It seems to me that when people go back to the UK after emmigrating to Oz it's mainly the women who were more homesick than their hubbies/partners?

This is certainly the case in our family. Hubby is quite happy to stay here (very laid back, almost horizontal!) but my daughter and I on the other hand feel very homesick.

Is it that they are made of tuffer stuff after all and that us women are just to emotional, or is it that less bothers them because they are less intelligent!!!!!!!!!!! (only kidding before you all start!)

Are there any men out there that feel homesick ???
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:41 am
owieb

Default Re: Why is it the men don't seem to get homesick but the women do!!??

Originally posted by janeyray
No.

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

According to my other half, if he showed any sign of weakness, our family would collapse. Think he's trying to tell me that I am an emotional disfunctional subnormal being?

Di
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 12:58 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by owieb
No.
What, you don't miss

The Friday nights out with the 'lads'

The annual trip to Amsterdam or the beer festival

The pre- football meet ups in the pub on a Saturday

Wearing the Union Jack boxer shorts in Spain (hubby never did this!)
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:08 am
owieb

What, you don't miss

I was never a 'lad' so didn't do lads nights out. I used to work in the music industry so every thurs, fri, sat I was out performing in clubs.

I must admit I do like Amsterdam and used to go there quite a bit, but I certainly don't miss it

Not a big footy fan so never had any pre-football meet ups.

I always found a g-string gave me a much better tan than Union Jack boxer shorts!

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:10 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

What, you don't miss

I go out here but I have mellowed and prefer relaxing and watching a film or going for a meal instead.

Amsterdam is an over rated place and not worth more than a visit. I did like short trips around Europe but there are plenty of short trips around NSW and Oz to be made. I may get bored of those and then I will head off to Asia.

I was never a season ticket holder and I just watched a recording of Match of the Day on Sunday. Here I watch an equivalent on Monday and try and surf on Saturdays (conditions and crowds permitting).

I could wear Union Jack boxers down Bondi Beach but I refrain. You slowly meet new friends and the phone/e-mail is always there for those back home.

I may miss aspects of the UK but none so much as to make me emotional.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:10 am
home again, home again

I always found a g-string gave me a much better tan than Union Jack boxer shorts!
Oh errrr.... cant get much of a flag on those!!:scared:
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:13 am

[i]
You should hang out at Tamarama (Glamarama). All the nice men are tanning their butt cheeks for their big night out on Oxford St.
:scared:
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:17 am
owieb

Oh errrr.... cant get much of a flag on those!!:scared:
And if I go down to Swanbourne beach I don't have to wear anything! :scared:

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:18 am
home again, home again

And if I go down to Swanbourne beach I don't have to wear anything! :scared:
Ohhhhh.. Wheres that then?
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Down girl, down..
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:23 am
owieb

Ohhhhh.. Wheres that then?
Swanbourne beach is just up from Cottesloe and although not officially a 'clothing optional beach' it is well known for being just that!

Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:30 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

What, you don't miss
I never bothered with this sort of stuff. I gave up drinking over 20 years ago (couldn't stand the taste of the stuff) and would far rather have a conversation with friends and set the world to rights than do any of the other things on the list. Footy? I prefer to 'do' rather than 'watch', so never was much of a spectator.

I think you'll find that 'lads' don't emigrate - they're big mouths with no desire to be a 'doer', and would be lost without their idiot mates to back them up. And as for asking them to take on any responsibility... LOL :scared:
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:31 am

Originally posted by downunderpom
I never bothered with this sort of stuff. I gave up drinking over 20 years ago (couldn't stand the taste of the stuff) and would far rather have a conversation with friends and set the world to rights than do any of the other things on the list. Footy? I prefer to 'do' rather than 'watch', so never was much of a spectator.

I think you'll find that 'lads' don't emigrate - they're big mouths with no desire to be a 'doer', and would be lost without their idiot mates to back them up. And as for asking them to take on any responsibility... LOL :scared:
There is enough of them over on the WHV.
Old Oct 23rd 2003, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that when people go back to the UK after emmigrating to Oz it's mainly the women who were more homesick than their hubbies/partners?

This is certainly the case in our family. Hubby is quite happy to stay here (very laid back, almost horizontal!) but my daughter and I on the other hand feel very homesick.

Is it that they are made of tuffer stuff after all and that us women are just to emotional, or is it that less bothers them because they are less intelligent!!!!!!!!!!! (only kidding before you all start!)

Blokes seem to have a lot less need for pals and family than us girls. Frankly most men rely heavily on their partner for everything, whereas women seem to need a bigger circle. Most we know who have gone back and its a heap now it is usually the women, except for one bloke whos wife could find a great job and he got stuck at home with the 2yo and 4yo and they were gone in a year too. Seen two immigrant divorces because she hated it and he loved it.

Oz is also still very male orientated, jobs, pay, promotions, most of my aussie women friends still do all the washing cooking, cleaning childcare etc, would never go out in the evening before cooking hubbys tea!! Look at BBQ's girl side boy side thing, eek!! I hate that.

Plus a lot of the things OZ does not (like shops, clothes, weekends in New York) are girl things.

Men happy anywhere as long as they have a couch and a beer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.