Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is life so friggin complicated

Why is life so friggin complicated

Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why is life so friggin complicated

Originally Posted by verystormy

Then you need to really think about lifestyle. How often do you think you will be out in all that nice weather enjoying it? We work some of the longest hours in the world. Yes work. You will be spending most of it at work. Then we still have all the normal bits of life to do - clean the loo, go shopping and everything you do now.

Ultimately you have to decide if you prefer your wife and child over what it a bit of a mythical life you think you will have here.

When we moved to LA my view of what life was going to be like, and what it was really like were two totally different things. I have no idea how or why I thought we would be sat out each evening eating dinner, looking over the ocean. I've been in the US 6 years now, and the only time I've eaten dinner overlooking the ocean was when we had a vacation in Hawaii.

Originally Posted by GarryP
We seem to have moved from a 1950s standpoint, where the husband says "I've decided, we're going to Australia", to a standpoint where somehow the wife is suppose to have a veto. That's not in the middle!
There is no in the middle though, they either move to the other side of the world, or they don't. No matter which choice is made, one person is going to have to give in on what they want (it can't be seen as a compromise)

Originally Posted by macy
Your seriously considering leaving your wife and 12 year old daughter and moving over to the other side of the world if they don't want to come..... wow....wow.... lost for words..... if you can't see how selfish that sounds then ..... well lost for words....your whole statement of why you want to move is me me me......... thinking about it, maybe ask your family if they minds if you go, they might not miss you too much anyway.....problem solved...
My thoughts exactly.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:44 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

and there was this thread & a particular post from the OP 10 months ago. Its like the never ending story.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...8#post10423138

Originally Posted by flanagaj
Given that we have no family in Australia and we have only spent 3 weeks there whilst we activated the visa, I think the likelihood of getting an extension is pretty slim. The only reason I was looking for an extension would be so that we could look to move out after my Daughter has finished her schooling in the UK, and that would take us over the 2.5 years remaining.

Decisions, decisions
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Life is 'friggin complicated' when you have a family.

However, if he is massively committed to windsurfing and sun, he will go and at least he won't have any 'what if' s.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

The only real issue here is whether to ditch the wife and brat if they won't come to Australia and come alone.

Absolutely the OP'S call.

Rooted if you do , rooted if you don't.

My suggestion, holiday if you can afford it, then make the call.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
and there was this thread & a particular post from the OP 10 months ago. Its like the never ending story.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...8#post10423138
Must be a bright kid, she's currently 12, and 10 months ago she only had 2.5 years of school left.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Must be a bright kid, she's currently 12, and 10 months ago she only had 2.5 years of school left.
He seemed to be saying he wanted to wait until she's finished school, but what age would that be? Not many stop at 16 now. So even a 5 year extension now would not be enough.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:31 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Just seems that way to you, on the information he has given on here.... Which is invariably almost impossible to get across properly.

This thread is a classic example of why I feel very strongly, that for most people airing your very personal issues on a public internet forum is generally a bad idea.

I've seen this T'Net gang mentality for over 18 years now, and I shake my head at peoples reaction sometimes.

Stick to talking to people that actually know you Flangaj, you'll get a much better hearing.
The trouble with speaking to people IRL, who do know all the details, is that they tend to give opinions based on the facts (as they see them) and they may be at odds with what the person asking for advice wants to hear. That's the beauty of the t'interweb; you present your case as you see fit and sit back and wait for validation of your choice/impending choice. If you don't get that, then you flounce. (Particularly if what you're being told online matches with what people IRL are saying to you.) Just my observation after wasting too much time here over the years.

What the OP chooses to do shouldn't be judged by strangers - we have no right whatsoever to comment on his situation (despite being invited to do so). However, his daughter does have the right to judge his decisions. And that judgement, possibly made as a 12-year-old - a difficult age for anyone, may well influence the relationship she has with her father, and the opinion she holds of him, for the rest of her life.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
The trouble with speaking to people IRL, who do know all the details, is that they tend to give opinions based on the facts (as they see them) and they may be at odds with what the person asking for advice wants to hear. That's the beauty of the t'interweb; you present your case as you see fit and sit back and wait for validation of your choice/impending choice. If you don't get that, then you flounce. (Particularly if what you're being told online matches with what people IRL are saying to you.) Just my observation after wasting too much time here over the years.

What the OP chooses to do shouldn't be judged by strangers - we have no right whatsoever to comment on his situation (despite being invited to do so). However, his daughter does have the right to judge his decisions. And that judgement, possibly made as a 12-year-old - a difficult age for anyone, may well influence the relationship she has with her father, and the opinion she holds of him, for the rest of her life.
Agree totally with the above, Just one point though, I do think that discussing personal life changing issues on the net is not an ideal thing to do. People are already in a vulnerable and difficult situation and when they get negative replies it's only going to make them feel worse.

Plus those replies are never aware of the total full facts of any given situation. So I really feel one is generally doing more harm than good than exposing themselves to negative feedback on a Internet forum, especially with crucial issues.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I get the impression that a great many on this forum are just out to judge. Given none of you understand my circumstances or motivations for wanting to go then I am rather disappointed.

Please don't make any further posts regarding my question as I won't be reading them.

Thanks
Please just grow up

You have portrayed your circumstances and people have commented, giving their honest opinions. You can agree or disagree with their views but they have given them which is the purpose of a public forum.

The only thing people have sympathy for is your visa timeframe is running out and you are in between a rock and a hard place. But you know the decision you have to make and it appears more you are intent on seeking justification for making a selfish one or looking for ammo to assist with coercing your wife.

Get your hands away from the sweets and eat your vegetables
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:57 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
No, they have/had 2.5 years remaining validity of their visa, not schooling. What he said was that they would like to finish her schooling in UK but that would take them past the 2.5 years remaining visa validity.

You know, Flanagj, we were in a similar position recently. We moved to Australia as a family 7 years ago because we (the adults) wanted to. Things didn't go to plan in our chosen area and we had to move interstate. Moving to Perth was never my idea and frankly I've never really felt very settled here.

Over the years we (read I) talked about going home or moving to the eastern states. My husband is very opposed to moving as he has a job here he loves, we built a house he loves and our kids are settled. It's only me who wants to go. My desire to move has caused a lot of friction in our marriage and at more than one point I considered moving back home on my own. So, what stopped me? Well, I love my family and the thought of seeing them only rarely absolutely breaks my heart. I would rather compromise and have holidays home annually and get to stay with people who I love than be without them somewhere else and that's what I've done. Instead of allowing myself to be resentful I have built myself a life here knowing that while it's not perfect it's not really all that bad either.

My husband is supportive of me being able to take trips to satisfy my need for Canada. Maybe your wife would be the same? You know, you can always get ETAs annually and come for holidays to satisfy your need for Australia. That way nobody actually loses. You get to come to Perth and enjoy it as a tourist and keep your family. If you really, truly feel that you will spend the rest of your life resenting your wife and child if they don't move for you, then I agree with others that you and she should have some couples counselling. We found it very helpful when we were deciding whether I would go on my own or stay. Having someone to just listen to you both and have you talk to each other in a neutral setting is very helpful.

While others may have been quick to judge, I think that for a lot of people it's difficult to understand how someone could want something to the exclusion of the people in their lives they love.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

I'm just back from 5 months in UK. Went on my own and got a contract out there. It has done me the world of good but I do have a very independant and capable hubby and mych older kids. I needed to spend time there, I miss it dreadfully (ironically partly because I am an outdoors country girl and feel a bit trapped by the heat!). I had a chance to stay but decided to come back and see my youngest through to uni. My hubby will consider moving back (taking a secondment from work here) once kids are sorted. You could go on your own but it's all about compromise. It is hard when you both want different things. But for adventure, the UK is right up there - and of course you have proximity to wonderful places for travel. Australia is a great country and had been kind to us, but I no longer regard it as some kind of utopia - just a fun place for a temporary adventure.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I get the impression that a great many on this forum are just out to judge. Given none of you understand my circumstances or motivations for wanting to go then I am rather disappointed.

Please don't make any further posts regarding my question as I won't be reading them.

Thanks
Then this thread shall be closed.