Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is life so friggin complicated

Why is life so friggin complicated

Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:13 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Why is life so friggin complicated

Originally Posted by haggis supper
Sadly she didn't and it's led us to separate.
Sorry to hear that Col - feel free to ping me for a beer one night if you want.

BB
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

flanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to allflanagaj is a name known to all
Default Re: Why is life so friggin complicated

I get the impression that a great many on this forum are just out to judge. Given none of you understand my circumstances or motivations for wanting to go then I am rather disappointed.

Please don't make any further posts regarding my question as I won't be reading them.

Thanks
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

BASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond reputeBASHO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
There are horses in australia

The 12 year old gets no vote

In 18 mths time your chance will be over... Ask the missus to give it a go for your sake... If she won't then sod her and DIY

Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flanagaj
I get the impression that a great many on this forum are just out to judge. Given none of you understand my circumstances or motivations for wanting to go then I am rather disappointed.

Please don't make any further posts regarding my question as I won't be reading them.

Thanks
You asked for advice/opinions. You gave some information but obviously not everything, you'd still be typing . We can only go by what you've written and make comments. You don't like them, that's fine but if those comments clear anything in your head then everyone had done you a service. If you had wanted particular comments, you should have said so. Anyway, you won't be reading this so I've probably wasted my time.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

erfanonline is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, the other 2 people in my life don't share the passion
Those two may be thinking that you are the one who don't share their common passion!

Perth has everything I enjoy about life. Great Windsurfing, mountain biking and weather...
Have you lived there for long time? You are only thinking about the things you like. Have you thought about the day to day works you will have to do for living in Perth? Are you sure you won't get bored with everything you mentioned? After 5 years?

Your situation is nothing so complicated. People are living with more complications in all countries. I am not sure how much you have discussed with your family about the issue. Have you always started with a tone like "We need to move to Australia because I love it there"? If so, you should try "Lets discuss on moving to Australia and see whether it is worth or not"

Anyways, I would like to give you some suggestions (based on the fact that I had to make a number of curicial choces in my life already, life is not always fair)

1. Discuss again with your family in friendly tone. Try to make them understand about your passion and give them words that you will consider returning to UK if things do not go along in Perth (and be honest in your heart with the promise, do not make a false promise)

2. May be come to a decision (combined decision by discussion) to give it a try, for two years. Or, if they agree, for four years. In four years, you can obtain citizenship of Autralia, which will not expire. So, if you return to UK after getting Australian passport, you can return when you retire in UK and live the rest of your life in your dream city.

3. Make a three months holiday in Perth (in most suitable season) so that they can experience and rethink about living there.

4. If nothing works, why don't you spend few months holiday (may be alone) in Perth every year? You can always get a tourist visa.

Leaving family will not be a good decision. You will surely going to miss them, may be 5 years after you leave them. Then, there will be no going back.

By the way, if you think things are too complicated and is causing you much mental pressure, please consider visiting a counselor, it really helps releaving stress.

Last edited by erfanonline; Oct 10th 2013 at 11:25 am.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

The regulars on here will be saying to themselves 'What excuse does he have now for not going ...', but I am going to put my cards on the table here.

I am conscious that in just over 18 months time that piece of paper in our passports will be worthless and an opportunity of a lifetime will have gone and as a result I know deep down that having always wanted to go to Aus I will have no issue of getting on the plane and going. Perth has everything I enjoy about life. Great Windsurfing, mountain biking and weather. I have always been happiest when the thermometer hits 30c (pretty rare in the uk) and I can get out cycling or get the BBQ out!!! I feel alive when the sun is shining and the weather is warm. The prospect of 6 months cold weather ahead of us in the Uk is most depressing. The windsurfing gear gets packed away, the winter cycling gets done, but only so the fitness does not go.

So why am I writing this. Well, the other 2 people in my life don't share the passion and are perfectly happy here in the Uk with there horse riding life style. The Wife says that she has everything she wants here in England. My 12 year old Daugther tells me Aus has nothing she wants and all of her horse riding idols left Aus to come to England.

It is a tough one and the only avenues I see are.

1. Adopt the 'you only get one shot in life' and go on my own. Not ruled this out

2. Don't go and resent them both when the visa has expired

3. If you know of a number 3 that does not have the pain associated with 1 & 2 please do share.
My honest opinion is it sounds like you are in a unhappy place/time right now, not feeling overly enamoured of your wife/child and are dreaming of a fantasy life somewhere warm. You might need to go and see a counsellor/ psychologist and get to the bottom of your feelings. If your marriage is over then you need to use your visa, but you will be forgoing a close relationship with your daughter...if your marriage is sound you might have to just get over the dream of Oz and make the most of what UK has to offer and go on as many windsurfing holidays as you can.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
I am writing this from Perth and I think you have a slightly unrealistic view of what life is like here.

First of all the weather. I live opposite a beach and walk the dog on it most days. It has been empty for months. Why? Because we have had storms, crap weather - the wife got soaked in the rain yesterday and cold - we are forecast single figures tonight.

Then when it is good, and it will hopefully improve next week as we are half way through spring, a chunk of the summer is worse - just too hot. Low 30's are fine. But when it is hovering around the 40 mark it's horrid and all people want to do is head in doors and sit under a air conditioner. There is a good reason why the beach here in January is empty from late morning. That and the wind.

Then you need to really think about lifestyle. How often do you think you will be out in all that nice weather enjoying it? We work some of the longest hours in the world. Yes work. You will be spending most of it at work. Then we still have all the normal bits of life to do - clean the loo, go shopping and everything you do now.

Ultimately you have to decide if you prefer your wife and child over what it a bit of a mythical life you think you will have here.
This is an overly pessimistic view of Perth weather...overall it is fantastic and when it is hot is
usually only for a few days and the nights are lovely...
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:15 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
This is an overly pessimistic view of Perth weather...overall it is fantastic and when it is hot is
usually only for a few days and the nights are lovely...
It's really one of those things that depends on the person, some love the weather, some hate it. I used to love the long, hot summers when I was a kid - now that I'm (so much!) older I dread summer coming!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's really one of those things that depends on the person, some love the weather, some hate it. I used to love the long, hot summers when I was a kid - now that I'm (so much!) older I dread summer coming!
But you grew up here... Some of us who weren't so lucky can't understand that at all....

But then people never appreciate what they have.... I didn't miss the green of spring in the uk and the crisp frosts of autumn till I came here....

BUT I STILL LOVE THE WEATHER IN PERF
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
But you grew up here... Some of us who weren't so lucky can't understand that at all....

But then people never appreciate what they have.... I didn't miss the green of spring in the uk and the crisp frosts of autumn till I came here....

BUT I STILL LOVE THE WEATHER IN PERF
I think you're spot on eddie. Although I'm a 'winter person' I'll no doubt miss the sun a bit when we move to the UK.

I'm glad you enjoy the Perf weather, it'd be a bugger if you didn't
Old Oct 10th 2013, 12:52 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
maybe not, but most all of the posters are immigrants (from all walks of life living in different countries not just OZ) & from those immigrants you are getting responses (read between the lines) of their own personal experiences or those of their parents that dragged them to OZ when they were children.

Of course you'd like a response that your wife should should knuckle under, agree totally with you wanting to go to OZ and without question should say 'yes dear-I'll come along do as you say'. Well unfortunately this is not the 30's, 40's, or the post war 10 quid emigrate times. This is the modern day world where partners have an equal say. When you are in that partnership, it takes the two of you to make it work - it can never be one sided IMO.

I'm wondering if you have shown this thread to your wife?

There are Brits that have emigrated then gone back home for whatever reason, ranging from homesickness, loss of jobs, loss of a spouse, an elderly parent, divorce/separation or having spent 10, 20, 30 years in away just want to go back.

Maybe you need to go back to your small corner of the world and sulk or being frustrated or keep on telling yourself 'folks don't understand my situation' & that you cannot resolve the 10 year in the making wanting to emigrate.

If you thought that by asking a group of strangers for a quick easy answer would fix everything for you - then you are mistaken.

It is your problem to fix - go fix it

Last edited by not2old; Oct 10th 2013 at 1:52 pm. Reason: added text
Old Oct 10th 2013, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

jambo72 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand the OP's dilemma.

My visa runs out in 2017 and everyday I worry myself sick that I will miss the chance to go back.

The problem with me is that my partner has children from her previous marriage. 2 boys aged 20 and 18 and one girl aged 13.

We have our own daughter who is just 4 months.

My partners father and young sister live in Brisbane so there are family ties other than myself.

However her ex is very controlling and a very difficult man. He has already threatened to go to the police if we even take his daughter to Oz on holiday.

I do have a lot of sympathy with him and its the main reason we are waiting until the girl is 16 so she can make her own mind up.

I know he will dictate her decision at the time and she will stay.

Ethically I am really struggling with this, however I miss Oz so so much and I also want to be able to give my own daughter the opportunity. Once its gone, its gone forever.

I also dont want to split up her family, however the moment they separated this was always something that could happen.

I really dont want to regret not going (if that what we decide) for the rest of my life either.

Last edited by jambo72; Oct 10th 2013 at 2:32 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I have seen plenty on here take the children away from the other parent to Australia (usually the mother doing this) and I have seen others leave their children from previous relationships behind as well. So the OP would be in good company on BE if he did something similar. And I don't think he is more deserving of criticism than any of the countless others in the same situation.

To the original question about the third option, I think there is only one and that is for OP and his wife to give it a trial run for an agreed length of time. There would have to be very strong trust there though, because wife surely knows that if OP reneges on the deal and doesn't want to move back, she might be stuck if the child also wants to stay (by that time presumably old enough or nearly old enough to make her own choices). So the trial is not a great option, but it would be the best compromise option.

If wife won't consider it then it is back to 1 & 2. I know which I would choose, I would not leave Mr BS for a country and if I had a child I most certainly would not leave it. But as I say, we don't criticise other people for their choices around the children so why criticise the OP. It is impossible to know how strong this marriage is, but I wonder would it survive this anyway, in which case maybe OP should go whilst he has the chance.

If already separated its more understandable, but actually leaving your wife and child to move because you want to is staggering..
Old Oct 10th 2013, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
You act quite childish for a supposed adult.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
You act quite childish for a supposed adult.
Just seems that way to you, on the information he has given on here.... Which is invariably almost impossible to get across properly.

This thread is a classic example of why I feel very strongly, that for most people airing your very personal issues on a public internet forum is generally a bad idea.

I've seen this T'Net gang mentality for over 18 years now, and I shake my head at peoples reaction sometimes.

Stick to talking to people that actually know you Flangaj, you'll get a much better hearing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.