Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:00 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I've been forced to shop in the US rather than Australia

Tell me about it, found a M&S jumper the other week, quality doesn't compare to the stuff from here.

Originally Posted by tictac
I have vastly reduced my clothes shopping in Australia as I am sick of the crap quality and tremendously high prices
Old Aug 14th 2008, 5:02 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

It's all down to inflation, the workers in china now get paid 2c a day from 1c

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I also buy very little in Australia now as well. Even though the AUD has been really strong recently, prices have not come down in the shops here. You watch though, now that the AUD is getting weaker, prices will start to go up because of the 'poor exchage rate'.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

so where does everyone shop?!?! I have bought from SierraTrading Post.com and thought it was excellent value. Am lloking at dealextreme.com for some techy stuff but any other recommendations??? Oh how i miss ebuyer!

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I now buy very little in Australia - it's too overpriced here. Sure, things like big electricals, TVs, furniture are best bought here but most other stuff is cheaper if you import it - often radically so. Even after paying for the extra cost of delivery you can save heaps. I don't care about warranty issues on small items as I am saving so much I can afford to buy another and still save. Aussie retailers are saving so much due to favourable exchange rates yet they refuse to pass these savings on - so I refuse to shop with them.

CDs and DVDs from CD-WOW in Hong Kong
Books from the Book Depository UK
Electronics from Amazon and others in the US
RC aircraft stuff from the US and Asia
Outdoor stuff from REI and others in the US
Numerous stuff from Ebay

Even with delivery costs, I have paid 25-60% of the best Aussie price.

Last edited by chmaiden; Sep 23rd 2008 at 3:48 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 4:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chmaiden
so where does everyone shop?!?! I have bought from SierraTrading Post.com and thought it was excellent value. Am lloking at dealextreme.com for some techy stuff but any other recommendations??? Oh how i miss ebuyer!
I've just got a shipment in from the US. Mainly RC aircraft stuff, electronics and books. A pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones - AUD120 delivered in Perth. Cheapest Australian price - AUD250! A 4 pack of Sony Ni-Mh AA rechargeable batteries - USD4.50. Cheapest Australian price - AUD18. I bought 4 packs.

I'll check out your websites.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Ive just descovered Victoria Secrets website, and it delivers to OZ.
I thought it was just underwear but they big range of clothes, and sell some nice summer dresses and tops.

www.victoriassecrets.com
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

hi i bought parts for a motobike from the usa via ebay they were 60% cheaper for same parts i saved 40% after shipping
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:23 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

[/QUOTE]

Found a camcorder cheaper on Amazon, however, wouldn't deliver to Aus- boo hoo.

Dave
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
OK,

For a few days now I've been researching and after a decent tent to take me outback in a couple of months time, to do a hiking trip in Sept in Europe and the Simpson Desert next year.

I had narrowed it down to a few particular higher end tents with lifetime guarantees and so on since its for some serious travel and I'd rather entrust my wellbeing to them than some $30 effort of a tent from Anaconda/kmart.

So - could I manage to get them here ? Could I buggery. Every dealer said not in stock and we could order it, for about 4 times the price that they sell stateside. Naturally this being Australia the idea of actually ordering stuff online I threw out some years ago and spent days running around trying to get this sorted.

Why not order things from the US directly thinks I. Top plan, apart from the fact that the brands I want all lock the dealers regionally and we're stuck with a she'll be right distributors who dont actually want to import or sell anything.

In the end I stumbled upon this site http://www.ishop-america.com and have ordered the stuff from the USA from exactly the same shop that would not ship to me directly because of the regional issue.

In fact the shipping was a lot cheaper than the shop would have charged me directly if they were able to send it. Best part about it you simply set up an account and can order from ANY USA online retailer. They ship it to ishop in the US who then ship it to you.

Now seeing the Aus Dollar is doing so well I can't see myself getting too bored of ordering stuff at half the price as here that quickly
Oz is way behind on internet shopping in everything I found......domestic market is both too small and uneducated as to how to shop effectively to get good prices. You on the other hand know better.

I did a google.com.au search for a fax machine when I worked in The Gong.....I typed in the model number, name and best price and lo and behold my first option was a supplier in Alice Springs.........not a single search result quoted a price....frigging useless.

I showed the secretary the same search on google.co.uk and she was amazed at the number of results I got ALL showing their price. When I showed her some jewellery and clothe website searches in the UK she was in la-la land it was so good she could not believe it.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

Sorry, didn't read the full thread but take a look at http://hennessyhammock.com/

I have one of these hammocks and they're great!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Oz is way behind on internet shopping in everything I found......domestic market is both too small and uneducated as to how to shop effectively to get good prices. You on the other hand know better.
Very true, my mum could not believe how bad it was last time she was over as she gets a lot of stuff over the net.

My mum tried to find an item for my daughter's birthday and I could not get it for love nor money over the net here. Eventually she found it on a UK website and they delivered it here for free (and at cheaper than I could buy in the shops in Aus). Unbelievable.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Gems
Ive just descovered Victoria Secrets website, and it delivers to OZ.
I thought it was just underwear but they big range of clothes, and sell some nice summer dresses and tops.

www.victoriassecrets.com
excellent!!! what other sites do you guys use then?! lets get this list going!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

yummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the roughyummymummy77 is a jewel in the rough

Figleaves.com for cheaper bras etc and better choice than here...if I remember correctly delivery was only £4.00 regardless of order size!
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

oops
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

here are another couple of UK stores that deliver:

asos - modern styling clothes for women and men.
http://www.asos.com/

Topshop - well everyone knows this store.
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...atalogId=19551

also figleaves have a discount website, womens and mens sale underwear,nightwear and swim wear, etc

http://www.figleavesclearance.co.uk/
Old Sep 24th 2008, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Dimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really niceDimond is just really nice

What are the customs & GST charges on this kind of purchase?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.