Reload this Page >

Why I'm leaving the UK....

Why I'm leaving the UK....

Old Dec 17th 2003, 12:55 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why I'm leaving the UK....

Originally posted by jandjuk
cheers donna - i thought you'd be off across the nullabor by now.... or do you have a satellite dish on your campervan?

Thanks for your kind thoughts - same to you and yours!

(incidentally - just in case people misread my post, I'm not leaving the UK for another 6 months or so... But I thought I'd post my reasons now.... you're not getting rid of me that easily...)
Not off in the camper just yet, Chris is re-fitting it as we speak and I am making curtains. Keeps us busy and out of mischief We are currently renting a house off someone on the forum who has kingly agreed to rent on a temp basis over xmas, so we hope to be hitting the open road in January. I don't think I have seen any designs for a satellite dish but I wouldn't put the addition of one pass Chris.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Dear Jon

Donna
Donna, I bet you've always wanted to start a letter or a post that way I do apologise for my insensitive post in another thread BTW - the end bit. Good luck on your travels early next year.

OzTennis
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:18 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by OzTennis
Donna, I bet you've always wanted to start a letter or a post that way I do apologise for my insensitive post in another thread BTW - the end bit. Good luck on your travels early next year.

OzTennis
Hello there OT,

Not sure what post you may be talking about, I don't take things too seriously on this forum, although sometimes I am a glutton for a debate. So no apology required. It's all part of the rich tapestry of forum life. Without which, things would be awfully dull...don't you think
Old Dec 17th 2003, 1:38 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Good post, jandjuk...would make wise reading for many people on this forum.

Like you, we're going back to Oz because we feel we have nothing to lose by taking such a step. Although we have good jobs here in the UK (Cambridge, by the way, sympathise with the surreal atmosphere comment!) they are not careers (we don't have any career plans at all - work to live not live to work and all that). We have virtually no assets, no kids and nothing to stop us. We are lucky in that Mr Bundy has Right to Abode here and can thus come back and live here whenever he wants.

I think it's important that we try this move now, before we have a family, a home, endless ties. If it doesn't work we'll come back - we'll probably come back for a stint at some point anyway. This gives us choices.

I've already done a year living out there with Mr Bundy and it worked well. I'm happier and healthier out there - we both are. That's not to say that there aren't things I'll miss about the UK, but there are already things I miss about Oz. We've been here in the UK for over three years - time to try something new.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Hello there OT,

Not sure what post you may be talking about, I don't take things too seriously on this forum, although sometimes I am a glutton for a debate. So no apology required. It's all part of the rich tapestry of forum life. Without which, things would be awfully dull...don't you think
re new life down under/a place down under. Totally agree with your views on what purpose the forum serves.

OzTennis
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bundy
Like you, we're going back to Oz because we feel we have nothing to lose by taking such a step. ...
Same for us Bundy.

Both myself and young_lass are under 30, no kids and with a bit of cash from our house sale. No expectations of escaping crime, politicians etc. Even go as far as to say no expectation of staying in Oz for the rest of our lives - just looking to two years then we'll reassess again, may stay, may come back. We are going for the experience (understanding this means good and bad) and a little fun along the way.

The only hopes I do go with are that after the initial 2 years are up I'm still able to stay true to this, and (of course ) I'm still with young_lass.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:22 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by OzTennis
re new life down under/a place down under. Totally agree with your views on what purpose the forum serves.

OzTennis
No Worries sent you PM
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by young_lad
Same for us Bundy.

Both myself and young_lass are under 30, no kids and with a bit of cash from our house sale. No expectations of escaping crime, politicians etc. Even go as far as to say no expectation of staying in Oz for the rest of our lives - just looking to two years then we'll reassess again, may stay, may come back. We are going for the experience (understanding this means good and bad) and a little fun along the way.

The only hopes I do go with are that after the initial 2 years are up I'm still able to stay true to this, and (of course ) I'm still with young_lass.
young_lad/lass

That's a great way to look at it and I'm sure you'll succeed in whatever you do. Good luck.

OzTennis
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:25 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by young_lad
Same for us Bundy.

Ditto. And even if things go horribly pear-shaped, it is possible to bring the positive out of things that go badly. So if we hate Oz and come fleeing back, at least we'll know that we tried it and didn't enjoy it. Better than the 'what ifs'. Sometimes you have to take a risk, although it is clearly better to do this when you're relatively footloose and fancy-free (ie not dragging kids about the world).

I think those of us with aussie partners are in a unique position because someone will have to live away from home...it comes down to weighing up the options and seeing which of the two homes seems to be the better option.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:28 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I was thinking that must a hard position to be in, Bundy - at least with hubby and me we will be expats together!
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:36 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Pollster
I was thinking that must a hard position to be in, Bundy - at least with hubby and me we will be expats together!
I think it can go either way. Some would find it very hard but I have always loved Australia and have spent some time living there so it was never a huge and scary decision to move back there. We've lived over here for 3 years, so Mr Bundy has had a chance to experience life here too. We've weighed it up and decided that Oz is better for us.

There are so many things to take into account: we don't have kids yet, but when we do, one set of grandparents will be on the other side of the planet. But it will always be easier for my parents to travel to Oz than for Mr Bundy's to travel to the UK. My parents are very positive about the move too, which helps a great deal.

Although we won't be expats together, we have each had to adapt to living in the other's country, so we know what the stumbling blocks are and can support each other in that respect.

We're pretty positive people too, and we always try to make the best out of any situation which is why we thing we can make this work. We're not blind to the problems - living there for a year is not like emigrating there, I know that - but we have a whole support network out there (the other advantage of having an aussie other half - you get a ready made family already in situ).
Old Dec 17th 2003, 3:45 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Some would say that wasn't an advantage, Bundy, depending on what the outlaws are like!
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:20 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Also, it's funny that when I first arrived in the UK I thought:

- the television is rubbish (all I could see were endless reality shows, endless soaps, very very few of the best American shows on in prime time, cheesey light entertainment shows, and lots of antiques shows) - but then it grew on me, I got used to it and found plenty of things to watch that I like a lot, and even find myself appreciating Ant & Dec!

- the people are 'backward' - some of them dress funny and and funny ideas about things etc etc etc - but then I got used to them and discovered they weren't 'backwards' after all.

- there was tons of red tape and bureaucracy and it took me forever to achieve basic daily tasks. Then I figured out the systems, set my new life up and got used to it.

etc etc etc basically exactly the same thing all the new expats on this website complain of! That's why I take what they say with a pinch of salt and try to poke holes in their arguments!

Because these things are just a result of things being different... nothing to do with the particular country itself...
Those are probably some of the truest words ever posted on this forum & what I try to tell people constantly. So many things are not better or worse ..... just DIFFERENT!

We are in the same position as bundy & OzT etc, one english one aussie, we are happy here in Australia. That doesnt mean that we wont ever move back to the UK to live, but for now, even though we are in the position that we could move there tommorrow if we wanted, we choose to stay here. (btw bundy, Dagboy grew up just outside Cambridge, his family still lives there )

Jon, good luck, great post

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Dec 17th 2003 at 11:27 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 11:45 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The good thing about Oz TV being rubbish is it gets me doing other stuff. There are things that are worse than the UK but I find I just do things different where I can. Main thing is there is nothing so bad to make me want to return to the UK. Again like the Dagboys I like the UK a lot and we could easily live there again.
Old Dec 18th 2003, 12:04 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I'm just saying you should think about the things that ARE REALLY IMPORTANT TO YOU IN LIFE, and work from there. You get used to living with everything else (eg the weather, the television programming etc etc) - these are are unimportant in the whole scheme of things.

If I was brought up in Britain, I personally would find it very hard to justify leaving the UK permanently. Most things you are chasing can be found in Britain - and those that can't are offset by those things you won't find in NZ or OZ.

You should still emigrate for the experience - but ALWAYS have a back out plan if after a few months or years you decide to return to your home country.

I suspect some of you won't like hearing this, but remember it's all just IMHO!!
What a brilliant and very honest post.

We didn't do any travelling/back packing when we were younger and just look at our experiences here now as if we were on a long working visa. Although an expensive one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.