Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why have they taken tax off my husband

Why have they taken tax off my husband

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why have they taken tax off my husband

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, I had those games. they didn't want to count it for my allowance, but did want to count it for my interest income.

In the end, bizarrely, they decided to go with the way that got them less...

S
Yes, I think my accountant made a mistake to be honest with the number of months. But it's all clear here pretty much:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...t/00216874.htm

In the OP's case I would say if they entered before Jun 1 then put 2 months ($1000 tax free allowance) or Jun 1 or after then 1 month (only $500 tax free allowance).
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

1) Download "etax" (ATO software)

2) Fill out the info (including bank account number)

3) Click on submit

4) Wait a couple of weeks

5) Watch the money appear in your bank account

No need for a printer, it's all done online and very easy to do yourself.

I was in a similar situation, I worked two weeks at the end of the tax year and received it all back no probs
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36
1) Download "etax" (ATO software)

2) Fill out the info (including bank account number)

3) Click on submit

4) Wait a couple of weeks

5) Watch the money appear in your bank account

No need for a printer, it's all done online and very easy to do yourself.

I was in a similar situation, I worked two weeks at the end of the tax year and received it all back no probs
You cant do it like that without having done one before. You need to print it off and send it in.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
You cant do it like that without having done one before. You need to print it off and send it in.
Oh yeah forgot, I needed to do that because it was the first time - cheers.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

I've only ever done mine online!

First year I worked for two moneth and got all that tax back. I missed out of the stimulous package because I hadn't paid any tax in the previous tax year!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

My first one was done in 2008 and I did it online, pressed submit, and Whoooo hoooo, a bigger rebate than I had actually paid!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
My first one was done in 2008 and I did it online, pressed submit, and Whoooo hoooo, a bigger rebate than I had actually paid!
I think it changed at some point...at one time you needed the reference number on the previous years notice before you could do etax.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yes, I think my accountant made a mistake to be honest with the number of months. But it's all clear here pretty much:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...t/00216874.htm

In the OP's case I would say if they entered before Jun 1 then put 2 months ($1000 tax free allowance) or Jun 1 or after then 1 month (only $500 tax free allowance).
We arrived on the 30th October, so got the whole of October's allowance thanks to arriving two days before November! Great stuff. All automatically calculated.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think it changed at some point...at one time you needed the reference number on the previous years notice before you could do etax.
You still need a reference number. Maybe it changed in 2009 when I did my first one.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

You still need a reference number. Maybe it changed in 2009 when I did my first one.
I needed ref number for 2009/2010
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

You can use the e-tax, it won't be able to auto fill your details for the first year or submit electronically, but you can print it out at the end and post it off.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
You can use the e-tax, it won't be able to auto fill your details for the first year or submit electronically, but you can print it out at the end and post it off.
Yep, pretty much what I said.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

There are alternate ways of verifying identity which mean you can do it online even during the first year. If they can verify your identity electronically by either you entering bank account details or by entering the code from your Group Certificate (for the OP - thats the document from your employer with the amount of annual pay on it) then you can submit electronically the first time.

I did my first one electronically in 2004 with my bank details, and I did a friend's first one with the details from his Group Cert. never needed to print either
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:47 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think its pro-rata
As others, yes it is (UK isn't - or wasn't)

Originally Posted by babysinead
We don't have a printer....only laptop, can i get the forms in the newsagents/post office?

If he has overpaid by $400.00 surely he can claim the whole lot back? I feel quite annoyed as he gave them his tax file number and they didnt use it
In 2007 we managed to submit electronically as first timers without printing.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 11:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
As others, yes it is (UK isn't - or wasn't)

In 2007 we managed to submit electronically as first timers without printing.
See my post above, there are various ways of doing it online as a first-timer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.