British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why is everyone getting so excited about Oprah visit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-everyone-getting-so-excited-about-oprah-visit-685594/)

renth Sep 16th 2010 1:42 am

Why is everyone getting so excited about Oprah visit?

Especially here in WA, the powers that be are apoplectic with rage that she's not coming here.

I mean, who gives a f**k? Even from a tourism perspective, how many of her core audience - fat, unemployed trailer trash would come to Australia on holiday anyway.

They probably think she's going to Austria.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...al-with-oprah/

Comment on the web site:

"Heard on the radio earlier this morning that they were trying to get Oprah supporters to gather on the South Perth Foreshore to entice her to WA. They must've changed the location as i just drove past Mirrabooka Maccas and it looks like they're already gathering there instead!"

JoeBloggs80 Sep 16th 2010 1:43 am

Re: Why is everyone getting so excited about Oprah visit?

I'm certainly not. Bloody stupid woman.

Now if it was Jerry Springer that would be different.

DeadVim Sep 16th 2010 1:44 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 8851698)
Especially here in WA, the powers that be are apoplectic with rage that she's not coming here.

I mean, who gives a f**k? Even from a tourism perspective, how many of her core audience - fat, unemployed trailer trash would come to Australia on holiday anyway.

They probable think she's going to Austria.

And being fully paid for by the poor feckers that are hosting her and fetid borish septic masses that she is dragging over.

According to reports over 2 million bucks ... better spent on ... well, anything ...

spartacus Sep 16th 2010 1:49 am

Hosts of 'daytime TV' shows deserve to be fed through a tree mulching machine (ala 'Fargo') whilst still conscious . . . I'd love to see 'Ellen' try to do that stupid dance of hers with no legs . . .

renth Sep 16th 2010 1:51 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 8851707)
I'd love to see 'Ellen' try to dance with no legs . . .

They play that show on the tellys in the gym every day. Even with the sound down that dancing thing makes me want to vomit.

Amazulu Sep 16th 2010 1:52 am

Comment on the web site:

"Heard on the radio earlier this morning that they were trying to get Oprah supporters to gather on the South Perth Foreshore to entice her to WA. They must've changed the location as i just drove past Mirrabooka Maccas and it looks like they're already gathering there instead!"

Totally agree. All the fury and 'blame' about her not coming to WA - I reckon we dodged a bullet.

spartacus Sep 16th 2010 1:53 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 8851710)
They play that show on the tellys in the gym every day. Even with the sound down that dancing thing makes me want to vomit.

I can feel the bile rising as I type . . .

Deancm_MKII Sep 16th 2010 2:08 am

They are?

SillyOldBag Sep 16th 2010 2:32 am

They're coming to Cairns, perhaps I should do a protest Father Ted stylee - "Down with This Sort of Thing" "Careful Now" :D

renth Sep 16th 2010 2:34 am

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag (Post 8851759)
They're coming to Cairns, perhaps I should do a protest Father Ted stylee - "Down with This Sort of Thing" "Careful Now" :D

Cool, is it stinger season yet? Maybe they could all go for a swim.

DeadVim Sep 16th 2010 2:35 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 8851712)
Totally agree. All the fury and 'blame' about her not coming to WA - I reckon we dodged a bullet.

They are renaming the Sydney Opera House the Sydney Oprah House for her visit ... can it get any more sycophantic?

I hope she's really fat, sweats buckets and there is an embaressing camel toe incident that is shown worldwide.

lancastrian48 Sep 16th 2010 2:36 am

.[/QUOTE]

Cmon ,it is Dullsville, gotta be exciting?

pompeyblonde Sep 16th 2010 2:40 am

God! you're a miserable bunch of poms!

DeadVim Sep 16th 2010 2:42 am

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 8851779)
God! you're a miserable bunch of poms!

What is miserable about despising a tedious media tart and the trailer trash masses that watch the drivel she produces? And getting the Australian public to foot the bill for their holiday ... most of which, I imagine, will be spent of food.

spartacus Sep 16th 2010 2:47 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 8851787)
What is miserable about despising a tedious media tart and the trailer trash masses that watch the drivel she produces? And getting the Australian public to foot the bill for their holiday ... most of which, I imagine, will be spent of food.

I can picture it now . . . the whole of the Bruce Highway blocked with burger vans heading for Cairns . . . just like cholesterol blocking an artery . . .

DeadVim Sep 16th 2010 2:49 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 8851797)
I can picture it now . . . the whole of the Bruce Highway blocked with burger vans heading for Cairns . . . just like cholesterol blocking an artery . . .

They'll make the indigenous alkies look like the marketable face of "coloured" Australia.

pompeyblonde Sep 16th 2010 2:51 am

K.....:unsure:

spartacus Sep 16th 2010 2:54 am

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 8851811)

Don't you tell 'im to K . K . . K . . .K . Kalm down . . . !

DeadVim Sep 16th 2010 3:07 am

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde (Post 8851811)

I guess the non-"miserable" mood is to welcome her and her devotees into the country and hope that the revenue from tourism will far exceed the millions spent on housing and feeding the ****s.

Nah, I'll stick with my original thoughts ... :D

pompeyblonde Sep 16th 2010 3:25 am

Well atleast you're open to possibilities!:) And she may by us all a new car!

petensue Sep 16th 2010 3:27 am

Comment on the web site:

I like Oprah but I don't understand either why some people in the media are getting so excited.There was someone on the radio yesterday I think from WA tourism offering to put them all up for free if they come to WA!

Oh and the Ellen dance and the audience that are so desperate for her to dance with them,someone tell her it is not a good look!Sue.

MartinLuther Sep 16th 2010 3:59 am

Comment on the web site:

I'm not. Didn't know she was coming.

renth Sep 16th 2010 4:06 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 8851879)

Must be just here in WA - because she's NOT coming.

MartinLuther Sep 16th 2010 4:49 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 8851887)
Must be just here in WA - because she's NOT coming.

It's probably just me not paying attention.

I'm off to the dentist on Tuesday maybe I'll be more informed after that :D

harrip Sep 16th 2010 5:13 am

By the amount of PR it is generating, its probably the best $2.8m Tourism Australia have ever spent.

moneypenny20 Sep 16th 2010 5:58 am

I am so pissed off with the whole nonsense it's untrue. This woman is obscenely wealthy, why are the Australian taxpayers paying for this trip? The clip I saw on the news led me to believe it was one of her end of show gifts, then I find out my taxes are paying for these worthless screaming morons to come over? WTF is it all about?

Up here we have the radio morning show people campaigning for Ellen de whatsit to come to the Gold Coast and they're flying to 'Hollywood' to ask her. WHY WHY WHY? Her wife/girfriend/life partner is Aussie, they're worth a staggering amount of money, surely if she wanted to come to Australia, they could do it.

It's seriously unimportant crap but it makes me seriously bloody angry.:curse:

I need a holiday. Who's paying?

Dreamy Sep 16th 2010 6:00 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 8851797)

I'm envisioning crimplene encased, generous thighs chafing beneath the FNQ heat and humidity.

I'm kind of glad I moved now.

IvanM Sep 16th 2010 7:16 am

I am suprised the OP has not done a "would you" thread on her.

Pollyana Sep 16th 2010 7:32 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 8851879)

Likewise! If it hadn't have been for this thread I wouldn't have known.....or cared :lol:

BenandPam Sep 16th 2010 9:12 am

People were up in arms when they heard that Tiger Woods was going to be paid a couple of million to play by the Victorian Government, yet it was clear that his being in Melbourne had a huge impact on the tournament in question, with people buying tickets for every day of the competition and standing in line just to see him practice on the course. Thousands of visitors came not just from interstate but from overseas, so it was money well spent.

Oprah is being paid about the same amount as Tiger, and yet Tourism Australia who are paying the money seem to have no way of measuring the benefits. I suppose they are hoping that if Oprah is bringing 300 people from America that they will consume $3.5 million worth of food?

vivi Sep 16th 2010 9:22 am

Oprah who?:rolleyes:

BenandPam Sep 16th 2010 12:32 pm

I love when people say "the tax payer is footing the bill". Actually, this will be coming out of a budget allocated to Tourism Australia, so is effectively already spent, not something that has come out of the blue and needs new funds. Same as Tiger's appearance fee came out of Victoria's budget that they use to market Melbourne as being the nation's sporting capital. It is only visible because it is deemed newsworthy.