Wikiposts

Why emigrate?

Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:44 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why emigrate?

Originally posted by denhim
i totaly agree with everything you have to say wolfens wife.

i hear people saying that the wages arn`t as good in oz. well the wages ive seen been offered to welders in perth match my wage or beat it.
ive read tax is high in oz, well its just as high here.
i could go on and repeat all the reasons everyone has been putting on this forum about why we want to leave the u.k and resettle in oz, but i tell you the way things are right now in this country, the amount of people wanting to emmergrate(not nessessary oz) is only going to rise and rise.

If you are 6 pounds ($16) an hour which is about all you will get in Perth if you are lucky, you must be a poor wielder .
I am in engineering and and have seen the wages and the way people are treated , most wielding jobs require you to be a boilermaker its all heavy work and rough as shite.
The employers here are ratbags you will love working in sheds that heat up to 50c in the summer and go down to 5c in the winter first thing in the morning , they sack and take on by the week.
Keep your head down all day and speed up these boys want blood , and stopages are about 20% higher , get used to being treated like dirt, engineering workers here are the lowest of the low.
You can work in away which pays better but thats means a long time away from your family and working outside in 40c plus 12 hours a day in crap hole places .
Good Luck to you.

Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:52 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Houdini
You banged the nail on the head there - living like an ex-pat in any country will always alienate you from the locals. Make an effort to fit in to the local lifestyle, culture, traditions etc. and soon you will feel more at home. Sadly I think there are a few people on this forum who choose to live like expats in their new country and then complain when things don't work out as they'd like them to, or they get offended for being a called a pom.

Remember, their land, their rules. If you don't join in you'll always be on the sideline.

Just a small point is this Australia you talking about? may I ask what culture and traditions, the lets gets a carton and piss it up in the backyard I think anyone will fit into that.
The locals in Perth stick together as do the Poms which seem to be out numbering those born here , if 100,000s of Aussies came to the UK and took your jobs how do think the locals there would feel?

Old Jan 29th 2003, 10:57 am
up the boro!

denhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant futuredenhim has a brilliant future

well i like to call myself a welder not a wielder.
but the jobs i`m looking at pay $20 $25 an hour. no im not a poor welder as you put it but a coded welder. and do you think that i work in a clean office?? all welding workshops are rough as shit, and i`m sure not all companies will treat me like dirt. thanks for trying to put me off but i cant see why things have to be so black and white with you. do you think that british companies are any different? and as i`m going by myself being away from my family wont be a problem.
Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:00 am
Dudley

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Just a small point is this Australia you talking about? may I ask what culture and traditions, the lets gets a carton and piss it up in the backyard I think anyone will fit into that.
The locals in Perth stick together as do the Poms which seem to be out numbering those born here , if 100,000s of Aussies came to the UK and took your jobs how do think the locals there would feel?

Back on the turps again PB? Join AA. Learn to speak helpfully and not with malice.

Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Perth Helena
Don't know why some think the bbq is "dreaded". It's just another way to cook things - meat, veg, tofu, etc. Rather than get spatters all over the cooktop, or heat up the kitchen with the oven, or have cooking smells throughout the house, or have pans to wash, just put it on the barbie. We had one right outside our kitchen door in Vancouver, under cover of the overhang. Even in pouring rain, we'd frequently barbeque. Some things just taste so much better done that way, especially lamb (marinated first in dijon mustard, garlic, lemon juice, white wine, rosemary and soy sauce). I've tried it in the oven, it's great too but the grill imparts a nicer flavour. Seems less fatty too since most of it drips off.

I agree with you to a point. But I don't like ALL beaches to get like the Gold Coast, Miami or Waikiki. Problem is, how to keep it from getting that way all up and down the coast. It'd be okay in small pockets to have hotels (low-rise preferably), with the beach lounge chairs and waiter service, but not everything. I wouldn't mind more cafes and restaurants where you can sit outside and eat and drink, versus all houses. I'd like to see wider paved boardwalks where more people can walk, cycle, run, rollerblade. Undeveloped, unspoiled beaches are quite popular as more places get spoiled with overdevelopment. Nothing uglier than clumps of tall hotels right on the beach. Just doesn't fit.

And as far as things to do, get off your butt and use your imagination. Seems like you're the "sit back and entertain me" type. Beaches should be about doing stuff. Snorkel, bodyboard, surf, build sandcastles, run along the beach, swim laps, or just bob around like a cork. I'm not a fan of all sorts of entertainment on the beach, since it will all cost money. The beach is nice because of its low cost factor. Start making it like Disneyland and there'll be no low-cost options for parents and kids will get even lazier & useless when it comes to entertaining themselves.

Thanks will try your Lamb sounds yummie !!!!!!!!!!1
Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:04 am
Banned

Don't know why some think the bbq is "dreaded". It's just another way to cook things - meat, veg, tofu, etc. Rather than get spatters all over the cooktop, or heat up the kitchen with the oven, or have cooking smells throughout the house, or have pans to wash, just put it on the barbie. We had one right outside our kitchen door in Vancouver, under cover of the overhang. Even in pouring rain, we'd frequently barbeque. Some things just taste so much better done that way, especially lamb (marinated first in dijon mustard, garlic, lemon juice, white wine, rosemary and soy sauce). I've tried it in the oven, it's great too but the grill imparts a nicer flavour. Seems less fatty too since most of it drips off.

I agree with you to a point. But I don't like ALL beaches to get like the Gold Coast, Miami or Waikiki. Problem is, how to keep it from getting that way all up and down the coast. It'd be okay in small pockets to have hotels (low-rise preferably), with the beach lounge chairs and waiter service, but not everything. I wouldn't mind more cafes and restaurants where you can sit outside and eat and drink, versus all houses. I'd like to see wider paved boardwalks where more people can walk, cycle, run, rollerblade. Undeveloped, unspoiled beaches are quite popular as more places get spoiled with overdevelopment. Nothing uglier than clumps of tall hotels right on the beach. Just doesn't fit.

And as far as things to do, get off your butt and use your imagination. Seems like you're the "sit back and entertain me" type. Beaches should be about doing stuff. Snorkel, bodyboard, surf, build sandcastles, run along the beach, swim laps, or just bob around like a cork. I'm not a fan of all sorts of entertainment on the beach, since it will all cost money. The beach is nice because of its low cost factor. Start making it like Disneyland and there'll be no low-cost options for parents and kids will get even lazier & useless when it comes to entertaining themselves.
You make blandness sound great Helena , Perth mainly attracts people who come to see their familys here it could be a top tourest spot but a week in Perth is long time to fill.
Holidays are spent in Asian or the gold coast for those who can afford it , people want devlopement and entertainment.
Look at the sad sods who did not what Hillarys Boat Harbour built , go up there any day of the week and its packed with people enjoying what it has to offer , this could be repeated in more areas .
I cannot understand all the bull going ion about the Mullaloo tavern being improved , its a backward state with not in my back yard people.
The BBQ thing forget it everything tastes the same , sorry its not my kind of food it was alright for cave men .

Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:18 am
Banned

Originally posted by denhim
well i like to call myself a welder not a wielder.
but the jobs i`m looking at pay $20 $25 an hour. no im not a poor welder as you put it but a coded welder. and do you think that i work in a clean office?? all welding workshops are rough as shit, and i`m sure not all companies will treat me like dirt. thanks for trying to put me off but i cant see why things have to be so black and white with you. do you think that british companies are any different? and as i`m going by myself being away from my family wont be a problem.
Well good luck to you could get $25 on contract no holiday pay , sick pay etc but not in Perth , everybody here is a coded welder they turn them out every 6 weeks.
Companies here hire for each contract and carry very few people , look I've seen work shops in the UK and these here are a lot worse.
You will be treated like dirt if you cannot come up to whats required with in a week they will blow you out.
I am not trying to put you off but engineering is a bad trade in Perth , I know loads of good toolmakers who now are bus driving because of the poor jobs here.

Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:21 am
Dudley

Originally posted by Herman
One quarter of professional Australians, or 1 million of them, aged between 25 and 40 are in Europe, mostly the UK. Every year approximately the same number of Australians emigrate to the UK as came the other way. The numbers are restricted by visa allocations so who knows how many there could be wanting to make the move. Since I arrived in Sydney 2 years ago 5 people from my team of 30 have moved to the UK. In the last 4 years I'm the only one from a similar sized team in London to make the move the other way. Almost everyone I speak to here wants to go to the UK to earn some money and to experience what it has to offer. I also come from Bristol so I know why you ask this question since not too many immigrants head to the south west, but let me assure you, London is absolutely chocka block with Australians, some of whom are good friends of mine and they love it there. One of my Australian colleagues here in Sydney came back to Sydney a year ago after 5 years living in London because they had a child and wanted to bring it up here. He told me at the weekend that they want to move back to the UK and think they made the mistake of their lives returning to a "dead end country". His words, not mine.
Your perceptions are so far from the truth they are laughable!
We live in a globalised world or should I say a westernised world? Skilled people as well as goods travel. Travel is good for workers. Travelled workers are good for nations.

Australians have been just as much a part of this rising trend as any other nationality.

The one certainty is that lots of people will always become "brassed off" where ever they are. In the 1970's I used to love Sydney - it was a big cleanish country town with lots of money sloshing around. Familiarity brought contempt and I moved out. Now I dislike going there - my excuse is that its too dirty and greedy. Use whatever rationalization is convenient. Moving around while you have the energy is fun for many people.

Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point

You make blandness sound great Helena , Perth mainly attracts people who come to see their familys here
Blandness? So if someone wants to enjoy natural, non man-made pursuits, it's blandness? Funny how you insist on putting a negative spin, even an insult, on everything that's different to what you want or like. If we don't all like what you do, then there's something wrong with us. Very immature attitude.

it could be a top tourest spot but a week in Perth is long time to fill.
Holidays are spent in Asian or the gold coast for those who can afford it , people want devlopement and entertainment.
They might vacation there for something different but they don't want to live amongst it. Big difference. Living in a tourist spot is not great. Everything is expensive, things are crowded and it gets spoiled and overdeveloped. It would be a huge mistake to turn everything into the Gold Coast. Tourists who come to WA are not looking for the Gold Coast.

Look at the sad sods who did not what Hillarys Boat Harbour built , go up there any day of the week and its packed with people enjoying what it has to offer , this could be repeated in more areas .
I agree with you there. Hillarys is a good thing, and it would be better to have a couple more similar things up and down the coast. Except you can't stick something like that into an area already developed with residences, so you have to find a place that's undeveloped. I believe they're thinking of doing that up in Two Rocks (?), not sure which suburb, but somewhere way up north. Cottesloe is a mini version which could do with a few more cafes and shops but it's too late, with all the houses already there. You'd have to displace people & put noisy, busy places right next door to some. Most would balk at that. Burns Beach might be another option. There are those who don't want any development at all. Often they're that way because they've been burned before by councils mismanaging such issues. Or they choose to live in a place that's quiet and have a problem with it being changed to the opposite. Of course, you'd call them "bland" or some other negative term because they don't want to live in the middle of the Gold Coast.
I cannot understand all the bull going ion about the Mullaloo tavern being improved , its a backward state with not in my back yard people.
Because they're trying to do something after people are already living there. You get the same resistance anywhere. A neighbourhood pub in Vancouver wanted to expand a bit, created a holy war in the area, with people threatening to burn it down. It's different if the place is already there.
The BBQ thing forget it everything tastes the same , sorry its not my kind of food it was alright for cave men.
All tastes the same? You're obviously not a good cook. Perhaps you overcook everything? Or maybe something's wrong with your tastebuds? My lamb doesn't taste anything like the tuna I make. There'd have to be something very wrong if it did.
Old Jan 29th 2003, 12:35 pm
Banned

Because they're trying to do something after people are already living there. You get the same resistance anywhere. A neighbourhood pub in Vancouver wanted to expand a bit, created a holy war in the area, with people threatening to burn it down. It's different if the place is already there.

All tastes the same? You're obviously not a good cook. Perhaps you overcook everything? Or maybe something's wrong with your tastebuds? My lamb doesn't taste anything like the tuna I make. There'd have to be something very wrong if it did.
The tavern has been there longer than some of the people have , its down at heel and the plans will improve the area and blend in .
The locals have your average Perth mentality NIMBYs ,any new devolement would be better than the present building, looking at the the way the new suburbs are being built they are souless without meeting places , yet any atempt to put some life into theses areas is met with protest.
I am sure your lamb and tuna is great and I am a very poor cook , thats why we eat out most nights, BBQs are just not for us sorry.

Old Jan 29th 2003, 8:14 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

I'm confused.

If Australia is as shit as certain people on this forum make out, where are all the other expats? Surely they should be on this forum day and night whingeing about the hell-hole theyv'e moved to? Ah, maybe they're out there making a go of it and looking at the positive aspects of their new country. Alternatively, they could be so hard up, what with all the crap wages and high tax, that they can't afford a PC.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 10:56 am
Banned

Originally posted by Houdini
I'm confused.

If Australia is as shit as certain people on this forum make out, where are all the other expats? Surely they should be on this forum day and night whingeing about the hell-hole theyv'e moved to? Ah, maybe they're out there making a go of it and looking at the positive aspects of their new country. Alternatively, they could be so hard up, what with all the crap wages and high tax, that they can't afford a PC.

Australia is far from a hell hole neither is it the land of plenty ,its a very average country at the arse end of nowhere.
The best description that I have come acroos from anyone here is it a mediocre country ie second rate .
It suits people who lack ambition its a great place to vegetate , set your hopes low and Australia is all you could want , the only heros here play with a bat and ball , the rest dig holes and abuse sheep.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pb, what time is it in Aus now? Have you been on the amber nectar? Blimey, what a downwer you have. Hope all ends well when you return to the UK. I'm sure that for every crap thing you highlight about Aus, someone, not me, could highlight a crap thing about the UK. I'm sure will settle back into our way of life well....but what ever you do, keep up the posts. Love them all. Well done.
lms

Australia is far from a hell hole neither is it the land of plenty ,its a very average country at the arse end of nowhere.
The best description that I have come acroos from anyone here is it a mediocre country ie second rate .
It suits people who lack ambition its a great place to vegetate , set your hopes low and Australia is all you could want , the only heros here play with a bat and ball , the rest dig holes and abuse sheep.
Old Jan 30th 2003, 12:11 pm
Banned

Originally posted by sully4441
Pb, what time is it in Aus now? Have you been on the amber nectar? Blimey, what a downwer you have. Hope all ends well when you return to the UK. I'm sure that for every crap thing you highlight about Aus, someone, not me, could highlight a crap thing about the UK. I'm sure will settle back into our way of life well....but what ever you do, keep up the posts. Love them all. Well done.
lms
Its 9am I am hard at work , look I find it very funny when people whinge about the UK having lived in both the problems in Australia are not far removed from those in the UK.
Some of the posters here lack the cutting humour we Brits used to have , less whinging more banter the worlds a fun place where ever you live, you are a long time dead waiting for a dream is bull.

Old Jan 30th 2003, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

Its 9am I am hard at work , look I find it very funny when people whinge about the UK having lived in both the problems in Australia are not far removed from those in the UK.
Some of the posters here lack the cutting humour we Brits used to have , less whinging more banter the worlds a fun place where ever you live, you are a long time dead waiting for a dream is bull.

Very funny PB - I like the 'cutting humour we Brits used to have , less whinging more banter the worlds a fun place where ever you live,' comment. Now tell me - of your 1000+ posts why do most contain yet another winge from about Aus? Most contain 0% humour - perhaps you have been away from the UK too long..

MM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.