Why emigrate?

Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:08 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by madmancunian
Very funny PB - I like the 'cutting humour we Brits used to have , less whinging more banter the worlds a fun place where ever you live,' comment. Now tell me - of your 1000+ posts why do most contain yet another winge from about Aus? Most contain 0% humour - perhaps you have been away from the UK too long..

MM
You may be right Mad One , its the way you read them is a whinge a dark sense of humour ?

Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:49 am
Dudley

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You may be right Mad One , its the way you read them is a whinge a dark sense of humour ?

The best dark humour is also self deprecating - then every one can laugh.

Old Jan 31st 2003, 1:59 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dudley
The best dark humour is also self deprecating - then every one can laugh.
Theres no flies on you son , be honest do you find no sillyness on any of the posts on this forum including mine as an Australian looking in it must amuse you at the total bull that is written here not excluding mine?

Old Jan 31st 2003, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a part of the transcript from BlackAdder Series 4 (set in the WW1 trenches). Just after a big 'push' by the Brit Army.

General Melchett : Course I am. Now let's talk about something more jolly, shall we? Look, this is the amount of land we've recaptured since yesterday.

[Melchett and George move over to the map table.]

Lt. George : Oh, excellent.
General Melchett : Erm, what is the actual scale of this map,
Darling?
Captain Darling : Erm, one-to-one, Sir.
General Melchett : Come again?
Captain Darling : Er, the map is actually life-size, Sir. It's
superbly detailed. Look, look, there's a little
worm.
General Melchett : Oh, yes. So the actual amount of land retaken
is?

[Darling whips out a tape measure amd measures the table.]

Captain Darling : Excuse me, Sir. Seventeen square feet, Sir.
General Melchett : Excellent. So you see, young Blackadder didn't
die horribly in vain after all.

PB - this what I call black humour. It takes about death but makes it sound funny. Your cut-and-paste from WA local rags of 'Local teenager knifed to death by gang' type stories doesn't sound humourous - well certainly not to me anyway.

MM
Old Jan 31st 2003, 2:24 am
Banned

Originally posted by madmancunian
This is a part of the transcript from BlackAdder Series 4 (set in the WW1 trenches). Just after a big 'push' by the Brit Army.

PB - this what I call black humour. It takes about death but makes it sound funny. Your cut-and-paste from WA local rags of 'Local teenager knifed to death by gang' type stories doesn't sound humourous - well certainly not to me anyway.

MM
Good point I will stick to more imformative cut and pastes this do?
Does have hint of humour Aussies asking for European working benefits , no chance.

FOUR out of five Australian workers would like to see a European-style cap on working hours to help prevent overwork and stress ruining their family lives.

A survey of more than 8250 workers by the ACTU found 82 per cent also wanted more family-friendly provisions in workplace laws, and nearly as many reported understaffing and work overload in their job.

About one-third of those surveyed worked more than 40 hours a week, and 55 per cent said work was having an increased effect on their personal lives.

Key findings of the survey included:

79 per cent said there should be a limit on the number of hours worked in a week.

66 per cent supported paid maternity leave.

66 cent were concerned about their job security and employee entitlements.

54 per cent worked weekly overtime but only 29 per cent were paid overtime.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 31st 2003 at 2:53 am.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 3:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Good point I will stick to more imformative cut and pastes this do?
Does have hint of humour Aussies asking for European working benefits , no chance.

FOUR out of five Australian workers would like to see a European-style cap on working hours to help prevent overwork and stress ruining their family lives.

A survey of more than 8250 workers by the ACTU found 82 per cent also wanted more family-friendly provisions in workplace laws, and nearly as many reported understaffing and work overload in their job.

About one-third of those surveyed worked more than 40 hours a week, and 55 per cent said work was having an increased effect on their personal lives.

Key findings of the survey included:

79 per cent said there should be a limit on the number of hours worked in a week.

66 per cent supported paid maternity leave.

66 cent were concerned about their job security and employee entitlements.

54 per cent worked weekly overtime but only 29 per cent were paid overtime.

The European Working Time Directive is meaningless as just about all jobs (certainly the ones I've done recently) present you with an "opt out" form which you are expected to sign.

if you want the job, that is.......

Dan
Old Jan 31st 2003, 3:37 am
Banned

Originally posted by renth
The European Working Time Directive is meaningless as just about all jobs (certainly the ones I've done recently) present you with an "opt out" form which you are expected to sign.

if you want the job, that is.......

Dan
You will get a nice offer here too its called a work place agreement , you agree to abandon what rights you have in return for a lesser wage it works on how hungry are you.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 31st 2003 at 3:47 am.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 4:23 am
Dudley

Theres no flies on you son , be honest do you find no sillyness on any of the posts on this forum including mine as an Australian looking in it must amuse you at the total bull that is written here not excluding mine?

I just see people trying to make it from cradle to grave with something in between.

Sillyness of course. Bull of course. Interesting to see what that something is for various individuals. I need something too. I'm not outside just on the side.

Sorry about all that bull about Wingeing Poms - I actually do not believe it with any conviction. I was simply setting up a point that to recognise a problem is good, to do something useful, hopefully profitable, about it is much better than wingeing about it.

Old Jan 31st 2003, 5:24 am
Banned

Originally posted by Dudley
I just see people trying to make it from cradle to grave with something in between.

Sillyness of course. Bull of course. Interesting to see what that something is for various individuals. I need something too. I'm not outside just on the side.

Sorry about all that bull about Wingeing Poms - I actually do not believe it with any conviction. I was simply setting up a point that to recognise a problem is good, to do something useful, hopefully profitable, about it is much better than wingeing about it.
Not worries Pal I do not mind being called a whinging Pom to complain is to reason , those who accept everything never do anything .
Love to do something profitable if it interested me , my father was a business man the stress he had proved to me than working for some one else is a easier life if not as rewarding cash wise.
I do gee a few on here mainley because they are in a dream mode , Australia has things to offer as does the UK.
I think that Australia is a harder country to work in and some of the sillyness I read on here makes me wonder if some have their back bones removed a Brit should proud of his country , moan and whinge over minor things or bull news paper reports so I counter that with the same bull its called irony.
Must show willing the ships sinking by the hour and I am doing my part in this companies lack of success.

Old Jan 31st 2003, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

BookBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why emigrate?

-snip
Holidays are spent in Asian or the gold coast for those who can afford it , people want devlopement and entertainment.
-snip

Not everyone is looking for crass entertainment and neon lights.

When we go on holiday we look for quiet beaches where the most development is the steps to protect the dunes. Our favourite spot is the York Peninsula National Park in South Australia. I'm happy with combination good company, a good book, Aussie wine, and good sights. Australia has a lot to offer in those respects.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 6:10 am
Banned

Originally posted by Nara
Not everyone is looking for crass entertainment and neon lights.

When we go on holiday we look for quiet beaches where the most development is the steps to protect the dunes. Our favourite spot is the York Peninsula National Park in South Australia. I'm happy with combination good company, a good book, Aussie wine, and good sights. Australia has a lot to offer in those respects.
Good for you and WA has enough coast line to cater for both your type of holiday and what most of us would like a bit of life.
We off to OB City Hotel Scarbrough Perth next week for a nights stay, the only high rise hotel complex on the Beach front , great spot its encourged more developement around the area the place is buzzing and more wish to get in on the act.
Was built by Mr Bond against the wishes of the good people of Perth , who now flock to the place as its one of the few places along the coast worth going.
The Nimbys here hold back what most people want because they hate change impose their ideas of a good time on others .
I can enjoy your idea of a day out but why not mine as well , give the party animals a chance too , think of the wealth and employment it would create.

Old Jan 31st 2003, 8:05 am
gle
Forum Regular

gle is an unknown quantity at this point

How odd a train crash in oz
Old Jan 31st 2003, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't get one every year though do they!

Quote from OZ yahoo news:

"The crash was the worst since the infamous "Day of the Roses" in 1977 when 83 people were killed in a train smash at Granville in Sydney."

Im sure your going to tell me otherwise Gle ...........
Old Jan 31st 2003, 8:46 am
gle
Forum Regular

gle is an unknown quantity at this point

the frequency of accidents will be proportional to the number of journeys. You cannot compare the rail network around uk(london)
10 million population - couple million communters? - with a single track in the australian bush.

The underlying point here is that you must accept that (some)people choose to go to aussieland for the experience - like me they are aware of the sacrifices to be made - I will have to take a big pay cut and I have not a UK house I can sell to take a big wad enabling me to get a nice house in aussieland and a BBQ or something that seem vital to people.

I think I am realistic, I do not have to justify my decision to travel to aus based on negative issues. The whole reason that you are in your position is because of what the UK has provided for you - the infrastructure etc.

It sound as if you are worried about travelling to aus and are tryiing to convince yourself you will be safer and warmer there to offset the fear of moving.

My advice to you is to face up to your real worries. You are not fleeing persecution you want to go to aus. Why? Are you capable of coming up with a good reason?

p.s you are not to mention warmer climate unless required for medical reasons.

Get real.
Old Jan 31st 2003, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point

Why mention the train crash in OZ in the first place then?

Look. We all have our opinions to why we want to emigrate... none of us think its going to be "a dream life". Most of us will be optimistic and give it 100% to try and make it work.

After all, in the Australian Outlook paper for migrants, over 90% say they are very happy with their new lives in OZ.

Lets not turn this into a slanging match.

Mich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.