Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why does everyone want to live near british?

Why does everyone want to live near british?

Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:36 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why does everyone want to live near british?

Can't say I fancy living in some little English ghetto either, but with so many millions of poms here you'll probably meet loads anyway. We've made two good sets of aussie friends and through them we're meeting their friends - plus there's the usual school gate related mates you make - there are no other English kids at Josh's school so that's the way things are panning out for us. That said there's a few BE folks I'd love to have a beer with ...
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:13 am
Sanctuary Lakes

Hector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really nice

Been here for a year and try to keep away from BE's, I came here to embrace the culture and not live in a ghetto. I do have British friends that I bumped into by accident (used to work with them in the UK), don't mind mixing with fellow poms but certainly don't go looking for them.

I just don't like Brits who come across and actively seek other Brits. I hated the ghetto's in the UK (muslim communities), so would find myself a hypocrit if I did the same.

I find the Aussies a pretty friendly bunch and it's not as though they speak swahili, even though they don't speak proper Queens English I think people should make more effort speaking to the natives and not take the easy option.

Hector
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:20 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hector
I just don't like Brits who come across and actively seek other Brits. I hated the ghetto's in the UK (muslim communities), so would find myself a hypocrit if I did the same.

Hector
I have actively sought Brits, just as I have actively sought Aussies and other ethnic groups as friends. I had no one that I knew in Australia, besides my wife, when i first came here, so couldn't be choosy. Now I have Australian and Brithish friends as well as knowing people in the Chinese, Philipino, Russian and Jewish communities in Melbourne. Hopefully going to meet some Vietnamese people next week
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mid Lifer.
It has always happened and always will.
Ealrs Court = Aussies
No longer. The main Aussie community in London is in Acton, hence the Redback Tavern & the massive Walkabout in Shepherds Bush. Aussies in London stick together, go to Ausiie pubs & clubs etc. It's no different for the Poms here. Living in a BE enclave like Joondalup is my idea of a living hell.
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:37 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

We don't live near any other Brits that I'm aware of, although we have semi-regular contact with a few - drinking sessions etc (how typical eh?). While I think it's important to integrate into the Aussie system etc i think it is just as valuable to be able to talk to others who have gone through the same things as you and are coming across the same issues. Besides, the Brits stay up later than the Qldrs so at least we can have a good night out then
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
I jist wantae live near sumbudy who understawns whit an sayen
New Weigieland
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:35 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No longer. The main Aussie community in London is in Acton, hence the Redback Tavern & the massive Walkabout in Shepherds Bush. Aussies in London stick together, go to Ausiie pubs & clubs etc. It's no different for the Poms here. Living in a BE enclave like Joondalup is my idea of a living hell.
I know The Redback ,a massive Pub near Gunnersbury Lane.The whole pub is staffed by Aussies and Kiwis.Aussies and Kiwis flock to this pub from all over London(a bit like our North Lake friends eh ?).Comfort and all that , you cant knock it.
However I wouldnt say Acton is populated mainly by Aussies.Acton is a proper melting pot.The main accent lately has a Eastern European feel to it
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:40 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
I have actively sought Brits, just as I have actively sought Aussies and other ethnic groups as friends. I had no one that I knew in Australia, besides my wife, when i first came here, so couldn't be choosy. Now I have Australian and Brithish friends as well as knowing people in the Chinese, Philipino, Russian and Jewish communities in Melbourne. Hopefully going to meet some Vietnamese people next week
Don't forget the Singaporeans and Kiwis

Originally Posted by Hector
I just don't like Brits who come across and actively seek other Brits............ I hated the ghetto's in the UK (muslim communities), so would find myself a hypocrit if I did the same.
Hector
Don't personally see any connection between these points. Are you generalising that when Brits get together they all slum it? or suddenly become Chavs? Maybe you should address the chip on ones shoulder

Perhaps you consider Malling street in Canterbury a dump? Funny actually when you consider it is full of british expats but alias is this reflected in a decline in its property values?

Area Canterbury* Sanctuary Lakes*
Lower Quartile 850,000 360,000
Jun-06 Median 1,230,000 373,750
Upper Quartile 1,700,000 500,000
Mar-06 Median 1,079,500 385,000
Jun-05 Median 997,500 399,000
Quarterly Change 14% -3%
Annual Change 23% -6%
Old Jul 30th 2006, 5:11 am
Sanctuary Lakes

Hector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really niceHector is just really nice

Originally Posted by thebears
Don't forget the Singaporeans and Kiwis

Don't personally see any connection between these points. Are you generalising that when Brits get together they all slum it? or suddenly become Chavs? Maybe you should address the chip on ones shoulder

Perhaps you consider Malling street in Canterbury a dump? Funny actually when you consider it is full of british expats but alias is this reflected in a decline in its property values?
I'm not having a go about Brits becoming Chavs or anything to do with Brits slumming it. I'm certainly not trying to imply anything about property prices.

All I am saying is that I don't feel the need to seek out other Brits, I am happy with my own company and I came here to become an Aussie, so I prefer to seek out Aussie friends. If we run into Brits on the way, then all the better but I came here to embrace the country/culture and was not looking for a warmer Little Britain.

I can understand why e.g. Croats live near each other, a lot don't speak great English, so stay together and even exclusively employ each other. I can understand this but don't necessarily agree with it, I think it is better to mix and learn the lingo. Isolation means you do not need to learn the language and can manage day to day in your own neighbourhood.

I don't think that we (as Brits) have to actively seek each other out, we speak the same language so it is easier to integrate.

Hope this clarifies my view

Hector
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't actually think that the areas over here that Brits may choose to live in are anything like say the muslim areas in the UK. Although there may be a lot of brits there, there are also many aus and other nationalities. I'm not aware of ghetto mentality. People may joke about places like Joondalup, Pacific Pines and Forest Lakes but there are far more houses than brits there
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:07 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Re:Thread title, "Why does everyone want to live near British?"

What makes you think that everyone does?
We don't.
Apart from us, our street & our neighbourhood is pretty much 100% Aussie.
We get on like a house on fire with all our neighbours, and they all love the fact that we're now Australian citizens.
This is exactly what we wanted from day one. To live in Australia amongst Australians. What could be better?
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

caleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant futurecaleb2003 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by wintersgills
you are still in the uk i tack it? whene you have had 3 yrs of people doing your nut in doing things the wrong way round and you feel like shacking them cos they that slow and tack it easy man you might feel the same

You may well be right but we'll never know if we don't try it will we?

My point is that surely if as some people have stated that the Aussies generally dislike or even distrust Poms then it won't be helped if we don't integrate just the same as it is for say indians or whatever over here or even for Scots in England etc
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
Yes me for one am looking forward to 'losing my accent' and trying to fit in with the aussies

N
ah dear this is where so many peeps go wrong
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
ah dear this is where so many peeps go wrong
Completely disagree - people who have Aussie friends seem to fit in best, especially the people married to Aussies. We have made a few, but very good friends in our village and we don't have school age kids. We also have non Brit friends in the city.

I honestly believe it's the Poms living in ghettos with too many debts and chasing an finite source of income to pay for an artificial bought lifestyle is where traditionally on this site people appear to become unstuck, or people who miss their family back home (pull rather than push).
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:44 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleb2003
Just seeing threads like the Forest lake one saying its full of Brits, I'm just wondering why so many people want to leave Britain and just create...Britain abroad.
bit of an assumption this one I chose to build further south cos it`s cheaper not sure how many poms if any are nearby
Personally I want to get away from Britain and totally immerse in a new culture for a complete change of lifestyle and culture and I'm not sure we'll achieve this if there are so many 'British' communities.
no problem you`re moving to Australia it`s about as far from blighty as you can get and if there`s to many poms there`s always the NT
Another point on this is do these communities make Aussies angry, like the Brits here get angry about Muslim communities not integrating?
nah thay moan more about the abo`s than the little britain crowd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.