Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do people say it's "bland"..?

Why do people say it's "bland"..?

Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:10 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do people say it's "bland"..?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Someone mentioned about the houses in Australia all being the same, and that has me a bit puzzled, and in fact I wonder if they were talking about the same country, or maybe some areas of Australia are in fact the same as the UK house building style.

In the UK I found that the house builders would build an estate of identical houses, eg: Wimpy would buy a block of land and then divided it up and build loads of near identical houses themselves. I've lived on a few of these estates in the UK.

Here in Australia, at least in the QLD and NSW areas that I have lived and looked at houses in, a block of land will be sold for development, and often split up between many different builders, or even private owners, and then you get a multitude of different house designs, as most builders actually build to a customers requirements. The end result is a street full of differently designed houses. And i've lived on a few of these also.
Totally agree.

There are very dull estates in Aus, but an awful lot of suburbs have extremely varied styles of housing, certainly more varied than the UK. Everything from the amazing to the totally tasteless!

I discovered a lot of really interesting experimental styles of environmental architecture too. Planning regulations on design don't seem to be as Machiavellian as the UK.

Most English and Aussie folks bore the arse off me, possibly because I'm not a materialistic person and couldn't give a stuff about a big house, barbies or beach (I hate beaches).Which is why I don't expect or want loads of friends, just a few close buddies to share my hobby of birding with.

So I guess I'm easily pleased!
Old Mar 8th 2005, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Billy no mates??
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Billy no mates??
I'll forgive you for that comment as I'll assume that you are unaware of what happened to me in January and how certain individuals on this forum assumed I was a bastard even though I had done nothing wrong.

Sorry, I've had a hard day at work, and at times like this I wonder if I can really be bothered with the idea of Aus anymore....
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

It was a joke, and I'm not aware what happened to you (sorry if I caused any offence)
Don't give up on the idea of Oz though, the more Brits the better
Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
OK .. Who mentioned scrapbooking first ?

My daughter has just been invited to another birthday party, and it's being held at a "scrapbooking" venue !! 14 years in this country, and never a whisper before, but the day I say something about it, and I get to see it in real life !!

Now my wife wants to buy some tupperware, but doesn't know anyone that sells it. Making that comment should now get an invite to a tupperware party soon enough
There's another big hobby going on in the 'burbs and that's "stamping". I think it's a "relative" of scrapbooking as in the stuff you need is in the same isle in BigW. There are even whole shops that sell the necessary "equipment". It's to do with making your own greeting cards using stamps and other stuff. However, I am not arty - so will be avoiding such get-togethers.

Now Tupperware had it's own little store in the Warringah Mall a couple of weeks ago. But the stuff is really expensive. For a salad bowl with lid they were asking $49 - in Woolies they had one for $8 - it was maybe not quite as pretty and didn't have a lid - but I just couldn't justify it.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 11:46 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
oooohhh, could this be the next PLPD clubs day out ? Nah I think not
No! :scared: Especially since it's next to the bank that's been held up twice and ram raided..!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:10 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I'll forgive you for that comment as I'll assume that you are unaware of what happened to me in January and how certain individuals on this forum assumed I was a bastard even though I had done nothing wrong.

Sorry, I've had a hard day at work, and at times like this I wonder if I can really be bothered with the idea of Aus anymore....
I've said nothing, and I'm saying nothing, but have thought much......

If Aus is your dream then just make it happen....
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:24 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fireeater
I've said nothing, and I'm saying nothing, but have thought much......

If Aus is your dream then just make it happen....
Hmm, well, I think it's enough that you two post pictures from the two of you, and you have your location as 'with Cas' etc etc
I'm not saying it's your fault, but I don't think it's very nice.

Not that it's actually my place to say, and maybe I don't know the whole story(though I read Cas's post before it was deleted) but well, it's all going on in this open forum, and I have trouble keeping my mouth shut.

Oh, and you're saying something now!
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:29 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Originally Posted by Simone
Hmm, well, I think it's enough that you two post pictures from the two of you, and you have your location as 'with Cas' etc etc
I'm not saying it's your fault, but I don't think it's very nice.

Not that it's actually my place to say, and maybe I don't know the whole story(though I read Cas's post before it was deleted) but well, it's all going on in this open forum, and I have trouble keeping my mouth shut.

Oh, and you're saying something now!
Yes, I was wishing him good luck and trying to bury a hatchet....

I've been married to Cas for over 10 years and am proud of it...is that a problem?

We're not the only couples to have pics in the photopost....but thanks for the concern
Old Mar 9th 2005, 1:48 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Originally Posted by fireeater
Yes, I was wishing him good luck and trying to bury a hatchet....

I've been married to Cas for over 10 years and am proud of it...is that a problem?

We're not the only couples to have pics in the photopost....but thanks for the concern
I know, but this is a bit of a different situation than most. But anyway, never mind, this isn't an easy situation whichever way you look at it.
sorry
Old Mar 9th 2005, 2:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tonyk38

Australia can be good, keep going for it. And worry not about those that don't know the facts

Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:19 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally agree with Vinny, If the whingers who are slagging off Australia don't like it why don't they come back to the UK, maybe live in a nice council house in Slough or Salford or somewhere else equally as nice?

At lot of us on here have the dream to emigrate and we are spending loads of money and time to be able to do this. If it doesn't work well that's fine, but I would rather find out for myself rather than some loser or misfit telling me so.

If your life evolves around pubs and fags I would suggest living in the east end of London, loads of pubs and loads of people selling fags bought in France. Horses for courses!

Kevin
Hmmm. It's important to look at the genuine and balanced posts though and consider them seriously rather than dismissing them as 'whinges' - these are real life experiences not dreams. Coming to Australia and expecting anything approaching Utopia will lead to serious disappointment... Best to be prepared with knowlege of the pros and cons. If this forum was totally one-sided it would be total mis-information about Australia.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:39 am
wombat42

Totally agree with Vinny, If the whingers who are slagging off Australia don't like it why don't they come back to the UK, maybe live in a nice council house in Slough or Salford or somewhere else equally as nice?

At lot of us on here have the dream to emigrate and we are spending loads of money and time to be able to do this. If it doesn't work well that's fine, but I would rather find out for myself rather than some loser or misfit telling me so.

If your life evolves around pubs and fags I would suggest living in the east end of London, loads of pubs and loads of people selling fags bought in France. Horses for courses!

Kevin
l agree, OZ is'nt perfect but its alot better then the Uk. If whinging Poms
don't like it then they should go rot in their little shoe box sized flats, on their drug, crime ridden overcrowded estates, with their dreary grey skies and cold rainy crap weather.

Last edited by wombat42; Mar 9th 2005 at 5:44 am.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Hmmm. It's important to look at the genuine and balanced posts though and consider them seriously rather than dismissing them as 'whinges' - these are real life experiences not dreams. Coming to Australia and expecting anything approaching Utopia will lead to serious disappointment... Best to be prepared with knowlege of the pros and cons. If this forum was totally one-sided it would be total mis-information about Australia.
Totally agree, but the readers have to work out which ones are the "genuine and balanced posts"
The ones who say that Australia is the "arse end of the planet, etc" must believe they have balanced views, as do the ones who say that Australia has absolutely nothing wrong with it. Fortunately both of these extremes often go over the top and end up losing it, and become unbelievable by most.

Old Mar 9th 2005, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
l agree, OZ is'nt perfect but its alot better then the Uk. If whinging Poms
don't like it then they should go rot in their little shoe box sized flats, on their drug, crime ridden overcrowded estates, with their dreary grey skies and cold rainy crap weather.

So is that where everyone from the UK came from?

Did they all come from shi!!y run down areas?

Somehow I dont think so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.