Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:00 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Originally Posted by craig_m67
You have offended me, hence the post. I find your post/position to engender hate and continue a very poor stereotype of mainstream aussies.

The Australian Govt. (finally) had the courage to formally apologise, say sorry, to the indigenous population in Feb. 08. It’s a start at least. The majority of the Australian population supported such an act for decades prior. Indeed more than a quarter of a million Australians marched over the Sydney Harbour Bridge (May 2000) in support of Indigenous Australians.

You post is not only inaccurate, inferring that Australians have never said sorry, it is also offensive to me (as a dual national) that you would suggest that Australians do not care about the mistreatment of the Aboriginal population (any population).
Thought I was being funny in suggesting it took a long time for Australians to appologise for all the consequences of the British invasion of what became Australia. I see now how you could be offended; thrice. If nothing else because you were not responsible for the invasion. Sorry.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

no worries
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:08 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

"Telstra made an error on my bill and fixed it but didn't apologise".
"Quick, to the internet! And generalise wildly!"
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I need to spread
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

[QUOTE=craig_m67;7690240] Indeed more than a quarter of a million Australians marched over the Sydney Harbour Bridge (May 2000) in support of Indigenous Australians.QUOTE]

and a further 20 million stayed at home.

Barney
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=POW148;7690299]
Indeed more than a quarter of a million Australians marched over the Sydney Harbour Bridge (May 2000) in support of Indigenous Australians.QUOTE]

and a further 20 million stayed at home.

Barney
Sounds like a pretty good percentage walked the bridge then. Had I been here then, it's unlikely I would have paid for flights down to Sydney, hotel accommodation etc to do the walk, wouldn't mean I wasn't with them in spirit and belief though.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
I've been over-charged, I've been given wrong change. I've had bad service and I've had appalling service* but I've never had an apology from an Ozzie.

What is it about their psyche that doesn't let them say "sorry".

(*Telstra - and still ongoing! How long does it take to sort out the fact that we only want one telephone number ?!

The Telstra customer services guy (ha ha) had the nerve to tell me "what I'm going to do for you" as he promised to refund the overpayment of $$$s due to their mistake. But never an apology!!)

For what its worth, it is a common complaint/observation by overseas visitors although it may well be a cultural difference.

Ive noticed that men in suits tend to get better service in retail. The old "hello sir" crap. I thought that flew in the face of the irreverent Aussie nature.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:36 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Afraid it's you that's generalising here. If you read my post correctly you will see that the Testra debacle is only one of the issues albeit a very long running one with lots of problems, dreadful "service" and no apology from the first prat who signed us up in the shop or from the many operatives on the end of the 'phone still trying to sort the mess out.

My issue is that whenever there has been a mistake (and we all make mistakes) it would go down much better if only the Ozzie would say "oops sorry" or words to that effect. In my experience; they don't.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:37 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not going to say sorry to some stupid tart who's left his/her shopping trolley strewn across the aisle in the local supermarket. I'm with the Aussies on this one.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:44 am
ABCDiamond

My issue is that whenever there has been a mistake (and we all make mistakes) it would go down much better if only the Ozzie would say "oops sorry" or words to that effect. In my experience; they don't.
But many of them do.

In my experience the British can be very rude.... so why are the British so rude ? It almost sounds like I am generalizing and accusing all British of being rude doesn't it ?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:49 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Afraid it's you that's generalising here. If you read my post correctly you will see that the Testra debacle is only one of the issues albeit a very long running one with lots of problems, dreadful "service" and no apology from the first prat who signed us up in the shop or from the many operatives on the end of the 'phone still trying to sort the mess out.
You're still generalising wildly. The fact that you've had poor service from Australians who haven't apologised, does not prove that Australians never apologise.

My issue is that whenever there has been a mistake (and we all make mistakes) it would go down much better if only the Ozzie would say "oops sorry" or words to that effect.
Yes, it would. And I suspect that most of the time, they do.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:49 am
Fighting my corner

Question Re: Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Because the Aborigines would then ask for their country to be returned.
I guess you missed the Rudd government's apology?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:01 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

You have offended me, hence the post. I find your post/position to engender hate and continue a very poor stereotype of mainstream aussies.

The Australian Govt. (finally) had the courage to formally apologise, say sorry, to the indigenous population in Feb. 08. It’s a start at least. The majority of the Australian population supported such an act for decades prior. Indeed more than a quarter of a million Australians marched over the Sydney Harbour Bridge (May 2000) in support of Indigenous Australians.

You post is not only inaccurate, inferring that Australians have never said sorry, it is also offensive to me (as a dual national) that you would suggest that Australians do not care about the mistreatment of the Aboriginal population (any population).
No the majority of us did not want the govenrment to say sorry for something that we did not do. Only 250 thousand walked the bridge 20 million others didnt
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:03 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

I guess you missed the Rudd government's apology?
Nope, sorry.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 9:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
No the majority of us did not want the govenrment to say sorry for something that we did not do. Only 250 thousand walked the bridge 20 million others didnt
I think the point is that the current Commonwealth government said sorry on behalf of previous such governments (which can no longer speak for themselves). One way of showing intent not to cause similar offence. Sorry to labour the point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.