Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:02 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Originally Posted by fish.01
I've found Australians on the whole apologise to me as much as anywhere...and they have friendly chats more often than some other places I have lived.
I agree.. on the whole I find people here friendly and helpful.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
I think that conversely it's the English that have a habit of self depreciation and apologising uneccesarily. I say 'sorry' when someone bumps into me!.......'sorry' is a rather English thing.I have come across 'No worries' or 'you're O.K' sayings used in places where 'sorry' would have been appropriate. The sentiment is still the same

People seem to be more respectful of other people here...in an old fashioned way, helping if there's a problem, sense of Community, having time to talk kind of thing. I feel it's a Culture difference thing, not a lack of manners.
Spot on about the sentiment! It's almost like saying 'sorry' would embarass you as much as them and is blowing the incident out of proportion - the situation was not that bad - no fault is going to be attributed - so an apology is not called for - from anyone. A lot of Australian social manners are more savvy than is given credit for.. this is one of the subtle cultural differences which people miss who tend to see things in black and white.

I'd say that Australians gush less than English people. But I would not say they are particularly rude - some deal with things that would have some English people faint. It's a brand of self-reliance. (Which some English people have too of course).

Many Melbournians have a deep respect for community in a way which I didn't always see in London.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

I have never found Aussies to be any different from the people back in the UK.The only time someone from a shop was rude and would not say sorry for really bad service was someone from England!Sue.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

I'll tell you a little story.

I was moving from country NSW to QLD and did 3 quotes with removal companies.

Most came back around the same price, naturally I picked the cheapest. It was with a company based in Melbourne who do runs up and down the east coast.

2 weeks out I booked the job in for a specific date and time (10am) and I was asked to make a 25% deposit of $400, which I did.

The day of the move comes around and i have the carpet cleaners due that afternoon (I lived in a rental) 10am hits, no one is here yet. At 10:30am I call the removalist.

They say they'll call the truck and find out where they are.

1 hour goes by and I've heard nothing.

I call back. Same guy says he's still trying to get in touch with the truck.

90 mins go by. Still heard nothing.

I call back. Same guy answers and he tells me that the night before the offsider had killed the truck driver.

Long story, short. He says a truck won't be coming that day and it would take 3 or 4 days to get me another one.

No apology offered.

I tell him he can refund my $400 deposit. He says he will.

I am friggen stressed out at this point. I have a flat full of furniture and the carpet cleaners due that afternoon.

I also have the real estate agent coming the next day for final inspection etc and they have new tenants moving in that afternoon.

I call up a local mob and they thankfully can do the move but it will take 3 weeks before they go to QLD again, therefore my furniture will be in storage. It also cost me $500 more than the other quote.

They come that afternoon and take the furniture. I'm relieved.

I get to the other side on Qld and don't have furniture for 3 weeks and spent Xmas in an empty flat. Luckily red rooster was open for food that morning.

1 week has gone by now and I still haven't received the $400 deposit back from the first removalist.

I call them. They say it's being processed. No apology.

Another week goes by. Still no refund. Call again. We're still waiting on our bookkeeper to do it I get told.

Another week goes by. Still no refund. I call and crack it. Guy tells me to calm down, says he'll get it done and hangs up.

If I lived in Melbourne, at this point I would gone down and faced this grub.

Another week on. I lodge a complaint with fair trading and email the guy to tell him. I also say I'm going to list my story on every internet forum this side of Mars.

No reply given, but miraculously the $400 is deposited into my account that night.

Still waiting for an apology.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:29 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
You're still generalising wildly. The fact that you've had poor service from Australians who haven't apologised, does not prove that Australians never apologise.

Yes, it would. And I suspect that most of the time, they do.
Thank you for common sense. What a totally stupid thread to start.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
I've been over-charged, I've been given wrong change. I've had bad service and I've had appalling service* but I've never had an apology from an Ozzie.

What is it about their psyche that doesn't let them say "sorry".

(*Telstra - and still ongoing! How long does it take to sort out the fact that we only want one telephone number ?!

The Telstra customer services guy (ha ha) had the nerve to tell me "what I'm going to do for you" as he promised to refund the overpayment of $$$s due to their mistake. But never an apology!!)
they are constantly saying sorry, even if there is no need for it, sorry is the first word they are taught besides saying mum.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Because they don't have to.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

kim69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by sr71
Never noticed a problem, find them a lot more polite than most other countries.
would have to agree find ozzies rather polite from children upwards.....
Old Jun 26th 2009, 12:30 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
"Telstra made an error on my bill and fixed it but didn't apologise".
"Quick, to the internet! And generalise wildly!"
Telstra f **ked up everyone's bill and never apoogised!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

shafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really niceshafanm is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
I've been over-charged, I've been given wrong change. I've had bad service and I've had appalling service* but I've never had an apology from an Ozzie.

What is it about their psyche that doesn't let them say "sorry".

(*Telstra - and still ongoing! How long does it take to sort out the fact that we only want one telephone number ?!

The Telstra customer services guy (ha ha) had the nerve to tell me "what I'm going to do for you" as he promised to refund the overpayment of $$$s due to their mistake. But never an apology!!)

Australian cricket team of 90s ( not the current one ) perfectly fits the bill.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 3:01 am
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
No the majority of us did not want the govenrment to say sorry for something that we did not do. Only 250 thousand walked the bridge 20 million others didnt
I'm going to a funeral next week .. i didn't actually kill him ... should i say "sorry" to the grieving relatives?

Millions of living Australians were alive and of voting age during times when appalling things were happening to indigeous Australians ... things could have moved down the path of decency a lot earlier if these people actually gave a sh*t .... they have a lot to say sorry for.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Veering wildly away from the debate on indigenous people, I have been here a week and have found a clear difference from being in Glasgow:

Swearing: very little on the streets of the gratuitously offensive variety
Politeness: delight to be here: people far more polite
Road rage: minimal
Hoons: maximal, but not of the Glaswegian variety........
Bogans:comparatively well dressed and behaved compared to the weegie variety......
Alcohol: drunk, not drunken
Customer Service: first class, people have, in general, more of a US attitude towards customer service than European...

In short, I have been pleasantly surprised. Long may that continue....