Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:34 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

I've been over-charged, I've been given wrong change. I've had bad service and I've had appalling service* but I've never had an apology from an Ozzie.

What is it about their psyche that doesn't let them say "sorry".

(*Telstra - and still ongoing! How long does it take to sort out the fact that we only want one telephone number ?!

The Telstra customer services guy (ha ha) had the nerve to tell me "what I'm going to do for you" as he promised to refund the overpayment of $$$s due to their mistake. But never an apology!!)
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:37 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do Ozzies never say sorry?

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
I've been over-charged, I've been given wrong change. I've had bad service and I've had appalling service* but I've never had an apology from an Ozzie.

(*Telstra - and still ongoing! How long does it take to sort out the fact that we only want one telephone number ?!

The Telstra customer services guy (ha ha) had the nerve to tell me "what I'm going to do for you" as he promised to refund the overpayment of $$$s due to their mistake. But never an apology!!)
Because the Aborigines would then ask for their country to be returned.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Never noticed a problem, find them a lot more polite than most other countries.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:44 am
Just Joined

chellebelle will become famous soon enough

Your problem here may be Telstra! Not Ozzies in general. I married an Ozzie, have Ozzie kids, deal with Ozzies every day and don't have a problem. However, Telstra, thats another problem altogether Just a question.... you sure it was an Ozzie you were speaking with? Most of the call centres these days send your issues to overseas call centres.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to allSunbound is a name known to all

HA you should try WHIRLPOOL !!! Sorry did i shout then ?? My nerves are shot... cant say their name without turning into a maniac !!! After weeks of calls about a faulty oven that never worked straight out of the box i never had an apology.. in fact if i hadn't of been the maniac that i am ..i probably would still have the oven that doesnt work !!!
In general though i do think that Aussies are more polite than the British especially the kids ..well thats my experience anyhow ..... and i'm old school when it comes to manners etc !!!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Because the Aborigines would then ask for their country to be returned.
your post is offensive
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

leftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really niceleftfield is just really nice

Originally Posted by craig_m67
your post is offensive

Why??
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:02 am
ABCDiamond

Had a hospital appointment today at 9:30, the nurse came to the waiting room at 9:34 and apologised for the delay...

A technician from Energex came on Saturday, and apologised for the wrong info we got on the phone, while he fixed the problem.

Why do ozzies say they are sorry, for such small delays ?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

According to Microsoft there is such a thing as 'Australian English', it's mostly the same as British English except that the word 'sorry' has been removed
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:17 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craig_m67
your post is offensive
If you could explain whom I have offended and how then I might see fit to say sorry. Otherwise I won't get it.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:19 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
According to Microsoft there is such a thing as 'Australian English', it's mostly the same as British English except that the word 'sorry' has been removed
You must have a pirated copy. You'll be sorry.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You must mix with some damn strange Aussies. I've had no problem with manners from anyone, regardless of nationality (given that I don't actually know the nationality of everyone I've met).
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:36 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

The day Telstra are representitive of the Australian public is the day that I migrate to the Artic and given up on human kind and become more trusting in polar bears.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

craig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant futurecraig_m67 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by WillBlack
If you could explain whom I have offended and how then I might see fit to say sorry. Otherwise I won't get it.
You have offended me, hence the post. I find your post/position to engender hate and continue a very poor stereotype of mainstream aussies.

The Australian Govt. (finally) had the courage to formally apologise, say sorry, to the indigenous population in Feb. 08. It’s a start at least. The majority of the Australian population supported such an act for decades prior. Indeed more than a quarter of a million Australians marched over the Sydney Harbour Bridge (May 2000) in support of Indigenous Australians.

You post is not only inaccurate, inferring that Australians have never said sorry, it is also offensive to me (as a dual national) that you would suggest that Australians do not care about the mistreatment of the Aboriginal population (any population).
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:49 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I think that conversely it's the English that have a habit of self depreciation and apologising uneccesarily. I say 'sorry' when someone bumps into me!.......'sorry' is a rather English thing.I have come across 'No worries' or 'you're O.K' sayings used in places where 'sorry' would have been appropriate. The sentiment is still the same

People seem to be more respectful of other people here...in an old fashioned way, helping if there's a problem, sense of Community, having time to talk kind of thing. I feel it's a Culture difference thing, not a lack of manners.

Sorry for rambling on.......

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.