Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On why critics may be given a hard time

On why critics may be given a hard time

Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default On why critics may be given a hard time

Is it any wonder those who can't find M & S knickers get short shrift in this forum? From Peter Roebuck's description of yesterday's Tsanmia one day cricket match in today's SMH: "Both taxis caught on the way to the (MCG) were driven by Ethiopians who had lived for years in refugee camps. Bags were searched by a Somalian. Dozens of Sudanese work at Australia's main cricket grounds. Black Africans count among the finest of our settlers."

It's against these people British expats are measured on the question of "fitting in". You heard it here first.

Perhaps it is easier if you come knowing going back is not an option.

And yes, if "immigration" is one of your reasons for leaving, why on earth would one think migrating to Australia is the answer? They are everywhere! Even, apparently in QUEENSLAND!
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:53 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: On why critics may be given a hard time

What are you suggesting? That smalls talk shouldn't happen?
Old Jan 10th 2005, 10:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Having a thick day here, and am a bit confused....whats the problem? Were the Ethiopians wearing M&S knickers??
Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:17 pm
ABCDiamond

I "think" he is saying that Tasmania is full of Immigrants, and that people who mention in public that they can't find M & S knickers will.... mmmm.. no, i'm not sure I do understand after all.

I think I need another coffee (this always seems to happen to me about this time in the morning !! )

Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:32 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I "think" he is saying that Tasmania is full of Immigrants
I think that "Tsanmia" was an attempt to type "tsunami" rather than "Tasmania". He did mention the MCG after all.

And his point was surely simply that grumbling about M&S knickers is pretty trivial stuff! No news there then!

Another cup of coffee? Sounds good to me! Slurp.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 11:35 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Having a thick day here, and am a bit confused....whats the problem? Were the Ethiopians wearing M&S knickers??
Interesting thought that one. Mmmmmmmm not the prettiest of thoughts though
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Interesting thought that one. Mmmmmmmm not the prettiest of thoughts though
Not pretty is it!

Like the new location!!!