Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are cars so expensive down under!

Wikiposts

Why are cars so expensive down under!

Old Feb 10th 2005, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why are cars so expensive down under!

Hubbys uncle owns the suzuki garage in Melbourne, dunno what his prices are like, hopefully he will do us a good deal when we get there, we r gonna need an MPV
Old Feb 10th 2005, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just bought pristine condition Mitsubishi Lancer 1.8, alloys, tinted windows etc, etc, 1 year old, 40ks on the clock for $17,000 - damn sight cheaper than it would have been if bought in UK.

Seems that European made cars are a lot more expensive comparatively though.

Cas
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:08 pm
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
True - but they certainly don't rust quicker. Cars that would have been visibly rusting in the UK after 10 years might take a generation to do the same here.

Badge
Agreed Badge.
And the main reason they don't rust is that Australian roads aren't covered in salt for 6 months of the year.
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

When we started looking we couldn't believe how much the 2nd hand cars hold their value over here having sold ours for practically pittance in the UK before coming over. However, I agree with a previous post on this thread not all cars are more expensive some of the SUV's and 4x4's are less expensive it's a supply and demand here with those I guess.

We were told to have a look at some of the government auctions, where you can pick up a bargain we bought ours off a dealer in the end but maybe someone else has used one of the auctions?? - the one in Brisbane is near to the airport I believe and is called Q Fleet could be wrong though so probably best to do a search on google.

Best of Luck
Lori
Old Feb 10th 2005, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Scossie
Agreed Badge.
And the main reason they don't rust is that Australian roads aren't covered in salt for 6 months of the year.
Yes I noticed that Australian roads aren't being sprayed with salt, wonder why ? Still if you want to get the same effect you can drive through the surf everyday . Seriously though its something to bare in mind if your buying a used 4WD, check that it hasn't done a lot of beach work.

I also decided with great reluctance to leave my pride and joy, with heated leather seats and heated windows which aren't particularly useful here. Its also worth considering that tinted windows are a bit darker here than in the UK, aircon is a must and quality Australian car batteries are insulated against the heat. That and if you're not driving a V8 monster truck people just laugh at you .

Papa Z
Old Feb 12th 2005, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

New cars are much cheaper. I just bought a new Toyota Camry for $27,000 and I managed to persuade the dealer to throw in some free options as well. The same car would be nearly twice the price in the U.K.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Superior
Thats true but why would you want to buy a european car in Australia? Unless you're talking about a few exclusive Italian brands, the locally built ones are much better than euro cars anyway.
Sorry,But b******s!!!
Australian cars score woefully on the crash tests,engines are just poor evoloutions of old european ones,The Ford Falcon has been struggling around with the same tired lump for thirty years!!!
Build quality is poor,doors sound tinny,outside noise is always there,have to pay huge dosh to get the extras thrown in,give me back my ols Saab anyday,even my Rover 620 was streets ahead of the rubbish here!!!
And as for fuel economy...Ha!!!!!
Old Feb 12th 2005, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafoo1
And as for fuel economy...Ha!!!!!
Who cares, fuel is half the price of rip-off UK.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 5:32 pm
wombat42

To use your own description - BULLSHIT!!!

Give me Aussie performance anyday! It sounds funny hearing someone calling pommie made cars 'quality'. They are renowned all over the world for being poor quality. Remember Lucas? The man who invented darkness! All pommie made crap is like that.

And Australia and the US are the only ones still making muscle cars.

Have fun in your underbuilt, overpriced euro/UK made rolling ashtray.......
l agree totally. Pommie cars are tiny built for midgets , the engines are no where near as powerful as our Aussie V8 Commodore and Ford Falcon engines.

Old Feb 12th 2005, 5:58 pm
Badge

Rover is crap.

Aussie cars (or cars in Australia) lasting longer, yes, its the lack of salt that makes a car las, I should have said this. A rusted car has to fail a MoT at some point, you can't fix that always, whereas replacing tyres, rotors, pads, joints, springs and reconditioning heads and the like can be done for years.

Actually, I quite Australian cars. I don't like the new Falcon post 98 but I quite like the newer Commodores. I don't like small Euro cars, but I do like a BMW or a Saab.

Badge

Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

To use your own description - BULLSHIT!!!

Give me Aussie performance anyday! It sounds funny hearing someone calling pommie made cars 'quality'. They are renowned all over the world for being poor quality. Remember Lucas? The man who invented darkness! All pommie made crap is like that.

And Australia and the US are the only ones still making muscle cars.

Have fun in your underbuilt, overpriced euro/UK made rolling ashtray.......
It was bollocks actually
Lucas,hmm 1970's I think,and who the hell wants a 'muscle car' speed limit110-100,cameras everywhere,road death toll twice the UK per capita....,can see your mullet and singlet already...lol
Old Feb 12th 2005, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't want to start (another ) row!

All I was pointing out was from what I had seen was that european cars seems to be comparitively expensive.

As to whether anybody wants one - each to their own - surely it's personal preference.

Cas
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:25 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by wafoo1
It was bollocks actually
Lucas,hmm 1970's I think,and who the hell wants a 'muscle car' speed limit110-100,cameras everywhere,road death toll twice the UK per capita....,can see your mullet and singlet already...lol
Frankly we all know that speed limits in the west are 90-130kmph. Which encompasses I think US, Australia and most of Europe. European BMWs and SAABS are powerful too, and they are not muscle cars. My personal belief is that speed limits are nothing to do with availability of power, and are not much use in this old argument. Power availability in a car is a notion of performance acceleration, we've all been fustrated with a car that is so slow to accelerate it is plain inconvenient and tiring(!), engine longevity and stress, engine under load carrying laden weight and extras like AC, and perhaps, comfort. One of the biggest mistakes I have made with previous cars I have owned is that within a month, and being used to it, I have find it underpowered, and I am in no way a hoon. I would never buy a normal car under 2000cc again.

Badge

Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:28 pm
Merlot

OK my girlie perspective for a Sunday . . as long as it is a nice colour do we care?

Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:28 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie cars are sh*te, crap build quality old technology & overpriced. The Monaro is okay, but your speed limits are pathetic due to your nanny state attitude & you all drive like old women.

Best saloon cars are Japanese, German or Swedish.
Best 4x4s are Japanese.
Best performance cars are German or Italian.

Thats all you need to know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.