Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Kat Skiing at Hotham

Kat Skiing at Hotham

Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:17 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kat Skiing at Hotham

I just read that the Kat skiing at Hotham is now free.

And here's a funny pic for those that don't know what Kat skiing is.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 6:34 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Kat Skiing at Hotham

We're off to Falls Creek in a few weeks!

Would like to go somewhere that you can only access by Kat or Heli sometime, maybe when the kids are a lot older.....

Buzzy
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:13 am
Account Closed

Default Re: Kat Skiing at Hotham

We're off to DP/Hotham at the end of the month. The husky-sled racing starts on the day we're returning so I'm hoping to catch a bit of that before returning.

As for the Kat skiing, I'm tempted. I did crash last year on the extreme skiing area so I'm going to play it by ear.

Hope you have a good time. The snow cover should be good. Would like to go to Falls one year but currently I'm a big fan of Hotham.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:31 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
We're off to DP/Hotham at the end of the month. The husky-sled racing starts on the day we're returning so I'm hoping to catch a bit of that before returning.

As for the Kat skiing, I'm tempted. I did crash last year on the extreme skiing area so I'm going to play it by ear.

Hope you have a good time. The snow cover should be good. Would like to go to Falls one year but currently I'm a big fan of Hotham.
we returned Friday from Hotham (stayed in Dinner Plain) , and it was our first time, and I thought it was fab. We rocked up on the Sunday arvo, and not any snow anywhere. The next day it dumped nearly a foot in a day.

By wednesday a couple of lifts where open and because a lot of poeple had cancelled bookings because of lack of snow, the place was quite quiet.

We left on the Friday and they had 5 lifts open, and the weather was fab.

Helipad was closed most of the time because of bad weather & high winds, so didnt see anybody taking flights, but I would imagine it is great up above it looking down.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 8:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Wow I didn't know they did husky-sled racing in VIC, is it just Hotham or do you know anywhere else? We're staying in Bright so we can access many fields pretty easily.

Buzzy
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:01 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Oh Wow I didn't know they did husky-sled racing in VIC, is it just Hotham or do you know anywhere else? We're staying in Bright so we can access many fields pretty easily.

Buzzy
Theres plenty of info here about whats coming up in Hotham :

http://www.hotham.com.au/

The Dog Sled championships are actually in Dinner Plain :

http://www.hotham.com.au/events.php?eid=12&type=1

Dont know about any other dog sled races.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:29 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by furkew
we returned Friday from Hotham (stayed in Dinner Plain) , and it was our first time, and I thought it was fab. We rocked up on the Sunday arvo, and not any snow anywhere. The next day it dumped nearly a foot in a day.

By wednesday a couple of lifts where open and because a lot of poeple had cancelled bookings because of lack of snow, the place was quite quiet.

We left on the Friday and they had 5 lifts open, and the weather was fab.

Helipad was closed most of the time because of bad weather & high winds, so didnt see anybody taking flights, but I would imagine it is great up above it looking down.
We stay in DP as well. I think it's better for families and I think the architecture is magnificent in the snow. This will be my 3rd year at Hotham (but only the 2nd year skiing - we just went sledging in 2006 but went skiing twice in 2007).

The helipad doesn't seem to operate very often. The conditions have to be just right. I'm not sure how much it costs now but a couple of years ago it was only $100 to get to Falls (and back I presume). Another thing on my list of things todo.

I saw your photos on BV: they looked really good. I really liked the pic of the snowgums.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
DP has been doing the sled racing for yonks and is certainly the main one. I did hear a couple of years ago that Falls was trying to get in on the act and possibly 1 or 2 of the NSW resorts. Not sure what happed to the plans.

Bright is lovely. We stayed there back in 2005 during the fall (the american expression seems more appropriate for Bright) and often stop off there on the way to and from DP. The brewery does a good range of beers and a couple of years back they did something called a Doubel which was, unfortunately, only available from the brewery. It was one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Not sure if it was a one off or not. Hopefully not.

I think (98% sure) that you can use your ski pass from Falls to ski at Hotham and vice versa, so that could be handy for you. Not sure if there is any link between the ski hire places. I'm sure you could use the skis from one in the other but not sure what would happen if you broke a ski while at the other resort.

Looks like there's some good snow coming over the next couple of weeks. It may even be low enough to give Bright a dusting.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:52 am
Going for a ride

I saw your photos on BV: they looked really good. I really liked the pic of the snowgums.
Thanks

every time I looked at the trees, and saw all the ice hanging from them, I thought how fabulous it all looked.

For those that dont venture over to the other side here are a few pics :

Old Jul 6th 2008, 1:05 pm
Account Closed

Once again, great pics furkew.

Looking at your earlier link, I think I might be missing the dogs by one day Looks like I'll have to book early next year.

BTW buzzy you can hire a go on a dog sled in DP. It is a bit pricey though, especially if the kids want a go as well http://www.hotham.com.au/index.php?pid=1436

Also there I can recommend the Indian/Asian restaurant in Ireland St, Bright. I can't remember the name but it's about 3/4 the way up on the right and has a chili motif. It doesn't have a large menu but what they do is really good. I can recommend the Jalfrezi. It's not the same as a UK one, it's better The bonus is the mixed menu, you can have Indian while the kids can have noodles

And if you decide to go to DP and you're not stopping in Hotham then you don't have to pay the park entry fee. Just tell them at the gate that you're driving through.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jul 6th 2008 at 1:15 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 9:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Once again, great pics furkew.

Looking at your earlier link, I think I might be missing the dogs by one day Looks like I'll have to book early next year.

BTW buzzy you can hire a go on a dog sled in DP. It is a bit pricey though, especially if the kids want a go as well http://www.hotham.com.au/index.php?pid=1436

Also there I can recommend the Indian/Asian restaurant in Ireland St, Bright. I can't remember the name but it's about 3/4 the way up on the right and has a chili motif. It doesn't have a large menu but what they do is really good. I can recommend the Jalfrezi. It's not the same as a UK one, it's better The bonus is the mixed menu, you can have Indian while the kids can have noodles

And if you decide to go to DP and you're not stopping in Hotham then you don't have to pay the park entry fee. Just tell them at the gate that you're driving through.
Thanks for the tips mate. We've decided to stay an extra night there's so much to do.

Buzzy