Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

why can I not find fitters and electricians

why can I not find fitters and electricians

Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

ollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura about
Default why can I not find fitters and electricians

Please can somebody out there help me please.
I just dont know where to start over here, ive started a job as an engineering manager and struggling to get skilled tradesmen. Where do I advertise please, ive tried seek and that brought one or two up but i still need 9 fitters and 9 electricians.
Its got to the stage now where I am going to start to advertising abroad as we are willing to sponsor, but how does all this process start.
Any advice offered will be appreciated.
thankyou from the confused pomm at the serious lack of australian tradesmen.

Darren
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

sheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to allsheli0508 is a name known to all
Default Re: why can I not find fitters and electricians

where abouts are you Darren?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:13 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ollieclaret;6685012]Please can somebody out there help me please.
I just dont know where to start over here, ive started a job as an engineering manager and struggling to get skilled tradesmen. Where do I advertise please, ive tried seek and that brought one or two up but i still need 9 fitters and 9 electricians.
Its got to the stage now where I am going to start to advertising abroad as we are willing to sponsor, but how does all this process start.
Any advice offered will be appreciated.
thankyou from the confused pomm at the serious lack of australian tradesmen.

Darren[/QUOTE

I assume you are working for an employer yourself, or are you on your own? Can't they give you some pointers if you work for someone else?
The main problem with employing overseas tradies, is that they won't be able start straight away. They will have to undergo further training to get Australian qualifications and licences first (see hundereds of posts on this subject).

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 16th 2008 at 10:16 am.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

ollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura aboutollieclaret has a spectacular aura about

im in wagga wagga NSW, (originally from near you in barnoldswick)
Wagga is great its 4 hours drive east to sydney, 4 south to Melbourne and 2 east to Canberra. great town 60,000 live here has the feel of a rural town but the immenities of a city.
Driving to sydney tomorrow with the mrs and kids to have a look. 4 hours is nothing over here.

Thanks

Darren
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:18 am

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ollieclaret
im in wagga wagga NSW, (originally from near you in barnoldswick)
Wagga is great its 4 hours drive east to sydney, 4 south to Melbourne and 2 east to Canberra. great town 60,000 live here has the feel of a rural town but the immenities of a city.
Driving to sydney tomorrow with the mrs and kids to have a look. 4 hours is nothing over here.

Thanks

Darren
Therein may lie your problem. Workers tend to head toward the major city/coastal areas rather than country areas.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

I assume you are working for an employer yourself, or are you on your own? Can't they give you some pointers if you work for someone else?
The main problem with employing overseas tradies, is that they won't be able start straight away. They will have to undergo further training to get Australian qualifications and licences first (see hundereds of posts on this subject).[/QUOTE]

I work for an employer and they are as stumped as I am, the electricians take a bit to be able to work alone but the fitters dont have the same bumff to go through.
My qualifications were swapped over pretty quickly as i already had a letter and verification from ecuk.
thankyou for your post
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:31 am

[QUOTE=ollieclaret;6685060]

I work for an employer and they are as stumped as I am, the electricians take a bit to be able to work alone but the fitters dont have the same bumff to go through.
My qualifications were swapped over pretty quickly as i already had a letter and verification from ecuk.
thankyou for your post
....... but as I also said, the fact that it is in Wagga, maybe part of the problem. People may not be prepared to move from the city/coastal areas to the country. It is 4 hours travel, practically in any direction.

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 16th 2008 at 10:36 am.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

its a very good point, thankyou, I suppose it appeled to me as im not a city person, but it wont appeal to all, the cheaper and more relaxed living appealed to me.
Once again again thankyou for your advice

darren
Old Aug 16th 2008, 12:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

its a very good point, thankyou, I suppose it appeled to me as im not a city person, but it wont appeal to all, the cheaper and more relaxed living appealed to me.
Once again again thankyou for your advice

darren
There is a Job Offers forum on here so you can put something in there if you like - you may have to wait a while for the post to be approved as they all have to be checked by Admin first, but it should appear within a couple of hours or so.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82