Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why British wants to go Australia?

Why British wants to go Australia?

Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

heg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why British wants to go Australia?

I am from Wales but have lived most of my life in Bristol, UK. I am very happy that I grew up in Bristol because of its diversity of culture. Bristol has a rich music/art/food/university life which is quite unique. I have travelled all over the UK and found that the Celtic nations (Wales, Scotland, Ireland) have most character but most of the material wealth is in the south-east of England. The cleanest and friendliest English cities are in the north.

I moved to Australia because I love warm weather and natural surroundings unchanged by humans. The people (outside the cities) are more open and friendly. Australia has beautiful countryside. When I go to the UK it's hard to find the forests because most of them have been cut down but they look like overgrown masses of weeds. The beaches are not as good and are polluted. It rains too much in the UK. Now I live near Brisbane.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 5:58 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Another good reason to give Australia a go is just plain and simple wanderlust!
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heg3
I am from Wales but have lived most of my life in Bristol, UK. I am very happy that I grew up in Bristol because of its diversity of culture. Bristol has a rich music/art/food/university life which is quite unique. I have travelled all over the UK and found that the Celtic nations (Wales, Scotland, Ireland) have most character but most of the material wealth is in the south-east of England. The cleanest and friendliest English cities are in the north.

I moved to Australia because I love warm weather and natural surroundings unchanged by humans. The people (outside the cities) are more open and friendly. Australia has beautiful countryside. When I go to the UK it's hard to find the forests because most of them have been cut down but they look like overgrown masses of weeds. The beaches are not as good and are polluted. It rains too much in the UK. Now I live near Brisbane.
Atleast you can walk across most of the UK!My OH was quite shocked when we were in Oz,where ever we were driving through countryside he would ask me to pull over so we could have a walk.Had to explain most of it was private property and out of bounds!You either have to drive to a national park to walk round or walk along a road.We have an ancient forest 10 mins walk from us,and its beautiful.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I do wonder if those of us who are planning to move to Australia with certain aims and/or expectations are in for a bit of a shock. For example reduced exposure to crime, better standard of living, etc
Most probably, but you can adjust, just like we did moving from South Africa to the UK - it takes time. It also depends what your expectations are. For us its mainly the following (compared to the UK):-

Much warmer weather
Bigger houses - room sizes
Outdoor life - camping, swimming in the sea, hiking etc...
Beaches - where the average grain of sand has a diameter of less than 5cm

These are things we grew up with and miss the most! We've got over missing the family bit.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

Originally Posted by livinginreality
I was referring to Paulie H's comments about a shithole!This poster is from South Wales,so I am assuming they mean South Wales is a shithole.Thats why I asked if people can be more specific!I've never been to Wales,but from what I have seen on TV,most of it looks stunning!
My apologies - didn't follow the thread of usernames
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

painter in aus will become famous soon enoughpainter in aus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by renth
The UK used to be a great country but is in terminal decline, the sensible people are getting the hell out whenever they get the chance. Living standards are very low unless you are extremely rich and the government has let in far too many people from other countries whose values are opposed to those of the native population.
i think you need to research the freedom of movement within the EU, the british government cannot stop residents from other EU member states entering their borders...........how ever much they dont like it.

January 2010 they start a point system similiar to ours to keep non EU residents out
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sunitram
Good Day Mates!!

I'm S.Korean who applied 175 visa this year and still I'm waiting for CO assignment. While I was waiting, and getting a lot of valuable information from you after having found this forum, I was just wondering why so many British people want to go to Australia.
As a Korean, I myself have a dream of living in well developed country and having more job opportunities. Probably the most of you have never heard about S.K, and truth is working condition here is not comparable in A. or UK. I strongly believe that the most of grown Korean think about immigration if and only if they have a chance. Fortunately I can speak just a little bit better than average of my people (for Korea is kind of isolated country with our own language and characters, we don't have a lot of chances to be exposed in English daily lives), so I could have a chance to apply.
But, Why British people? UK is, in my thought, one of the most wealthy and powerful, effective countries in the world. You have fantastic living standards and good nature, aren't you? Why do you want to go to Australia?

(If this is already answered question, please let me know how to find it and I apology in advance)
Brits love Australia because they are the ones who discovered it, built it, ruled it and made it civilized enough for the rest of the world to live in. Australia is still under British constitutional monarchy. This country is also highly indebted to the Queen. They took a large sum of loan from the British Queen to build the Sydney harbour bridge which they have not yet paid back. Australia invites so may Brits to migrate to Australia hoping that the present Queen will look at it favourably and will never ask for a repayment of the loan. Its really quite serious..... if you calculate the accumulated interests on the loan, it has become a very large sum now and the only way Australia could afford to pay it back is by selling Perth to the Chinese. However, apparently Australians do not want the Chinese to own part of their country at this moment.... you have heard about the Rio Tinto deal falling apart recently, right?

Now that you have your answer to why the Brits migrate to Australia, let me ask you a question..... what percentage Australian population is Asian?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:13 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painter in aus
i think you need to research the freedom of movement within the EU, the british government cannot stop residents from other EU member states entering their borders...........how ever much they dont like it.
I know all about that and guess who's the next cab off the rank for EU membership? - Albania. I bet the people of the UK can't wait for the wave of "cultural enrichment" that's going to follow.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:17 pm
Banned

mijora is on a distinguished road

I think most Brits go to Australia to beat up an aussie
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I know all about that and guess who's the next cab off the rank for EU membership? - Albania. I bet the people of the UK can't wait for the wave of "cultural enrichment" that's going to follow.
Yeah talking of which,bet the aussies can't wait for their 149 more boat people picked up last week?Or was it this week?I love cultural enrichment don't you?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
What a complete load of nonsense, the vast majority of people i know in the UK have a living standard equivalant to that of most Australians i know or better.
What are you a bond trader or something? Most people I know in the UK struggle and the ones who came here work just as hard as they did in he UK but have a much better lifestyle

Please dont judge by the size of someones house, the UK is the size of Victoria with 60 million people in it so property will generally be smaller and more expensive, the later is also for most brits outside the south east no longer true.
I never mentioned houses. 60 million people in a country the size of Victoria, at least 570,000 of which are illegal immigrants - another good reason to leave and find some space. It's going to get very ugly, very soon once the north sea oil runs out now the "miracle economy" has been revealed as a sham.

As for the last comments about migrating to another country because to many migrants have moved to yours is complete hypocrisy, also try asking the native Australians about wether european values are opposed to theirs.
You either failed to understand my point or deliberately twisted it.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:29 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by livinginreality
Yeah talking of which,bet the aussies can't wait for their 149 more boat people picked up last week?Or was it this week?I love cultural enrichment don't you?
Mate I know where you are coming from but personally I'm all for taking more refugees. But Australia needs to take them from the United Nations Refugee Program - displaced families from refugee camps, I'd personally roll the red carpet out for them. The ones I'm opposed to are the young men whose families have paid people smugglers to get them here and who once are in bring their families over. The ones that keep turning up every day since they realized Australia had become a soft touch, just like the UK.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:36 pm
Banned

Do criminals still get sent to Australia?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:37 pm
Banned

Anybody seen Steve Erwin lately?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:50 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Why British wants to go Australia?

Originally Posted by caliburn
This country is also highly indebted to the Queen. They took a large sum of loan from the British Queen to build the Sydney harbour bridge which they have not yet paid back. Australia invites so may Brits to migrate to Australia hoping that the present Queen will look at it favourably and will never ask for a repayment of the loan. Its really quite serious..... if you calculate the accumulated interests on the loan, it has become a very large sum now and the only way Australia could afford to pay it back is by selling Perth to the Chinese.
What a load of nonsense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.