British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Why British wants to go Australia? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-british-wants-go-australia-617730/)

sunitram Jul 1st 2009 6:20 am

Why British wants to go Australia?

Good Day Mates!!

I'm S.Korean who applied 175 visa this year and still I'm waiting for CO assignment. While I was waiting, and getting a lot of valuable information from you after having found this forum, I was just wondering why so many British people want to go to Australia.
As a Korean, I myself have a dream of living in well developed country and having more job opportunities. Probably the most of you have never heard about S.K, and truth is working condition here is not comparable in A. or UK. I strongly believe that the most of grown Korean think about immigration if and only if they have a chance. Fortunately I can speak just a little bit better than average of my people (for Korea is kind of isolated country with our own language and characters, we don't have a lot of chances to be exposed in English daily lives), so I could have a chance to apply.
But, Why British people? UK is, in my thought, one of the most wealthy and powerful, effective countries in the world. You have fantastic living standards and good nature, aren't you? Why do you want to go to Australia?

(If this is already answered question, please let me know how to find it and I apology in advance)

Deutschmaster Jul 1st 2009 6:26 am

Re: Why British wants to go Australia?

Everybody has their reasons. Mine is because it sounded fun to go and live somewhere else.

freebo Jul 1st 2009 6:36 am

Speaking for myself (and I have lived in Australia for 5 years, 15 years ago), I found lots of similarities (language, culture, sense of humour, sport, food) and many differences (weather, space, lifestyle, quality of public services). Where Australia is different its mostly better IMHO.

In many jobs its possible to earn more money in the UK and buy more "things" but the quality of life in Australia is better, I've realised that I'd rather be happy than have more stuff :thumbup:

sunitram Jul 1st 2009 6:42 am

Re: Why British wants to go to Australia?

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster (Post 7714047)
Everybody has their reasons. Mine is because it sounded fun to go and live somewhere else.

Oh. I see. I didn't aware that this question could be interpreted as a personal rude question. I didn't mean to ask a rude question. I'm sorry if my question make you disturbed. I just wanted to understand another immigrants from well developed countries having different backgrounds not having economic problems.
I don't know how to eliminate this thread.

mayur_patel Jul 1st 2009 6:47 am

Originally Posted by sunitram (Post 7714093)
Oh. I see. I didn't aware that this question could be interpreted as a personal rude question. I didn't mean to ask a rude question. I'm sorry if my question make you disturbed. I just wanted to understand another immigrants from well developed countries having different backgrounds not having economic problems.

Everyone is welcome on British Expats. Your thread is very good and has unique topic to gain good knowledge base. You shouldn't close it.. Every one are already responding thier experience that's what BE forum here about.

Don't worry for about anything. And one is rude.

Regards,

Mayur

Deutschmaster Jul 1st 2009 6:51 am

No no, I didn't interpret this as a personal rude question. It's just that the British aren't coming here for the same reason. Some might come for a specific reason. Some came because they fancied something different.

eurosyl Jul 1st 2009 6:56 am

Originally Posted by sunitram (Post 7714028)
Good Day Mates!!

I'm S.Korean who applied 175 visa this year and still I'm waiting for CO assignment. While I was waiting, and getting a lot of valuable information from you after having found this forum, I was just wondering why so many British people want to go to Australia.
As a Korean, I myself have a dream of living in well developed country and having more job opportunities. Probably the most of you have never heard about S.K, and truth is working condition here is not comparable in A. or UK. I strongly believe that the most of grown Korean think about immigration if and only if they have a chance. Fortunately I can speak just a little bit better than average of my people (for Korea is kind of isolated country with our own language and characters, we don't have a lot of chances to be exposed in English daily lives), so I could have a chance to apply.
But, Why British people? UK is, in my thought, one of the most wealthy and powerful, effective countries in the world. You have fantastic living standards and good nature, aren't you? Why do you want to go to Australia?

(If this is already answered question, please let me know how to find it and I apology in advance)

This question pops up every now and then, and everone goes for different reasons. One of the threads where it was discussed:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602199

Cheers,
Sylvia

Deutschmaster Jul 1st 2009 7:01 am

I had a variety of reasons. One was that I had just finished university and it seemed like a really good time to go and see the world for a bit. I had been working for several years before going to university and it seemed too easy to slip into a situation where it would be too hard to leave once getting comfortable in a situation.

It was quite by chance that I came to Australia. I went to an industry conference in the UK in 2006 and saw a talk given by a couple of Australian engineers on their company. From what they were talking about I thought 'I can do that' so asked them for the name of the person to ask for a job. Luckily a position came up shortly after.

The weather is a lot better and Australians don't moan so much. I also like the vast open spaces between the cities. :p

sunitram Jul 1st 2009 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster (Post 7714115)
No no, I didn't interpret this as a personal rude question. It's just that the British aren't coming here for the same reason. Some might come for a specific reason. Some came because they fancied something different.

Oh. It was my total misunderstanding. Thank you. I really need to learn more English before I go to Australia. :o

Before I ask British on this question I think I should add more reason why I ask this. There are several reason why the most of Korean want to go to abroad like Australia, USA or UK. Economic difficulties, children education - especially for English language - and escaping from bloody competition all through ones life. Due to limit natural resources and highly dense population like other Asian countries, my people live in extremely competitive environment from kindergarten to grave. Most high school student cannot go to bed before 12 or 1 and must go to school before 7 A.M. to be admitted by decent college. After graduation they are facing a bloody competition and have to resign before their 50th. No welfare. No beautiful gray life because they have to support their children to live the same life with them repeatedly. Maybe it's focused only on negative aspect, but it contains truth. This is the reason many Korean (or Chinese too) having a high rated position in their country willingly go to Australia even if they will get relatively low position than they had.

Anyway Thank you for your comment. :D

Amazulu Jul 1st 2009 7:42 am

I think one of the main reasons for Brits to emigrate to Australia is the historic links between the two countries. The British established Australia and the bonds are still strong. Australia is still a Western nation and not an Asian one. Britain and Australia share not only a common language, but also strong cultural, economic,political and religious links - they are also still predominantly white, Anglo-saxon societies, although Asian infuences are coming in. The majority of post-war migration here was from the UK and I guess the current situation is a hangover from that.

Everyone is welcome though.

rinkerdink Jul 1st 2009 7:49 am

Originally Posted by sunitram (Post 7714171)
Oh. It was my total misunderstanding. Thank you. I really need to learn more English before I go to Australia. :o

Before I ask British on this question I think I should add more reason why I ask this. There are several reason why the most of Korean want to go to abroad like Australia, USA or UK. Economic difficulties, children education - especially for English language - and escaping from bloody competition all through ones life. Due to limit natural resources and highly dense population like other Asian countries, my people live in extremely competitive environment from kindergarten to grave. Most high school student cannot go to bed before 12 or 1 and must go to school before 7 A.M. to be admitted by decent college. After graduation they are facing a bloody competition and have to resign before their 50th. No welfare. No beautiful gray life because they have to support their children to live the same life with them repeatedly. Maybe it's focused only on negative aspect, but it contains truth. This is the reason many Korean (or Chinese too) having a high rated position in their country willingly go to Australia even if they will get relatively low position than they had.

An interesting insight into Asian life and a good indication to why Asians living in the UK are far more focussed on their education (generally) than most black or white kids and also why so many Asian seize opportunities a leave others in their wake.

I suppose we don't realise how lucky we are, I am going to be able to have more family time and withdraw (if only a little bit) from the rat race i'm currently in.

papilon Jul 1st 2009 8:22 am

Unbelievably many brits leave Britian because for some deluded reason they believe Britian is virtually a developing country with no future. They believe the problems faced in Britian dont exist anywhere else and countries such as Australia are a virtual paradise compared to home. The truth is the UK is one of the wealthiest countries in the world, its had a good kick in the teeth due to the global financial crisis, but as London had become the centre of the financial world it was going get hit hard, incredibly many other european countries are suffering more than the UK but many brits are not interested in hearing about that. Many now hate there government even tho it was the same one that gave them unpresedented growth over a record period of time.
Virtual zero unemployment. Most made huge gains on the property they invested in, many even could afford to buy second homes as investment properties, even homes abroad in Spain, France and Greece. But even during good economic times many are unhappy and truly believe the grass is greener everywhere else but home.
I have lived abroad in various countries most of my adult life, the reason being
pure wunderlust, currently Australia is home, and its a great place to live but then again so is the UK, sadly many brits especialy the english have no respect for the truly wonderfull country that is the UK, and dont realise how tough the vast majority of people in the world really have it. Thats why many migrants coming to the UK do so well.

mohogony Jul 1st 2009 8:33 am

l thought s korea was a developed first world country like Japan? Alot of Brits might come for the better climate but the weathers alot warmer in the Uk now then it is in most of OZ, its freezing cold and wet down here in Victoria while in the 30c's in the UK. More Brits come here then other nationalities becasue OZ was their colony and they speak the same language, drive on the same side of the road and have similar culture so its an easy country to adjust to.

Petals Jul 1st 2009 8:42 am

British people have migrated to different countries for hundreds of years, US, NZ, Australia, India, South Africa many other African countries. I think possibly people from asia are now moving and emigrating also. As the world gets smaller and travel is easier I think people will move everywhere.

Hope you like Australia when you get here, its a lovely place to live and you will have lots of space here. Can drive out of Melbourne for about an hour and go to a beach no one is on it. Fantastic.

ABCDiamond Jul 1st 2009 8:47 am

Most high school student cannot go to bed before 12 or 1 and must go to school before 7 A.M. to be admitted by decent college.

We hosted a couple of Korean students 2 years ago, and they told us about that. They noticed a very big difference here.

I like the weather here, compared to the UK ;)