Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Why are Australian movies so crap?

Old Jun 26th 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

heg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why are Australian movies so crap?

My fave Aussie movie is

'The Shiralee' (1987)

It's great fun, emotionally charged and well directed. Very long but never boring. If I wanted to recommend one movie which portrays the best and worst of 'Aussiness', that would be the one.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Why are Australian movies so crap?

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Ned Kelly was almost as per history - nothing to do with Vietnam, he was an Australian bushranger and his gang terrorised the British police and troops in Victoria in the 19th century.
Prissilla, was quite good.
Mad Max was brilliant for the era, ok the third was abit limp.
Rabbit Proof Fence was brilliantly portrayed.
The Castle is brilliantly funny.
Strange Bedfellows was alot better that the sick American copy, sorry they reckon they didn't.... ROFL
Ok Rogue and Wolf Creek are abit dubious. Wolf Creek depended alot on the backpacker and Northern Territory murders.
Haven't seen the others so I won't comment as they just ain't my cuppa tea.

Haven't seen or heard of anything coming out of the UK that even made it to the cinema!
Umm, let me think..........Trainspotting
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AlanEll
Umm, let me think..........Trainspotting
dont forget..........all the guy ritchie movies(lockstock,snatch, rocknrolla) and all the other london gangster flicks released on the back of there sucsess.
or the hugh grant romantic comedys...all box office hits.
all the other danny boyle films (slumdog, sunshine, 28 days later, the beach, shallow grave and millions)
or the simon pegg comedys (shaun of the dead and hot fuzz)
british films have done well over the last few years
only aussie film of the last 5 years ive really enjoyed is "the propersition"
id rate romper stomper, madmax, bad boy bubby and chopper as great aussie films.
but look at these classics
the wicker man, quadrophinia, a clockwork orange, withnail and i, scum, kes, east is east, human traffic, blue juice, my beautifull launderette, gregorys girl, full monty, the wall, made in britain, the firm, great rocknroll swindle............... i could go on and on
Old Jun 27th 2009, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz miller man
dont forget..........all the guy ritchie movies(lockstock,snatch, rocknrolla) and all the other london gangster flicks released on the back of there sucsess.
or the hugh grant romantic comedys...all box office hits.
all the other danny boyle films (slumdog, sunshine, 28 days later, the beach, shallow grave and millions)
or the simon pegg comedys (shaun of the dead and hot fuzz)
british films have done well over the last few years
only aussie film of the last 5 years ive really enjoyed is "the propersition"
id rate romper stomper, madmax, bad boy bubby and chopper as great aussie films.
but look at these classics
the wicker man, quadrophinia, a clockwork orange, withnail and i, scum, kes, east is east, human traffic, blue juice, my beautifull launderette, gregorys girl, full monty, the wall, made in britain, the firm, great rocknroll swindle............... i could go on and on
All very good if not great British films indeed.In my opinion british films at there best are unbeatable....
Old Jun 27th 2009, 2:51 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't read anything but the OP so apologies if it's been said in the preceding squillion pages but I think there are some really good Australian films out there, although 'Australia' is not in that category, lol

Really enjoyed 'Australian Rules' the other night.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 2:54 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

but I do think British films tend to be in a different league.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, on the whole, Aussie movies are pants.

However, Picnic at Hanging Rock is one of my favourite movies and I also really enjoyed Wolf Creek and Jammed.

Cate Blanchett is my favourite actress (and Toni Collette's brilliant also). So they're not all like the woeful Nicole Kidman.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:54 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by heg3
My fave Aussie movie is

'The Shiralee' (1987)

It's great fun, emotionally charged and well directed. Very long but never boring. If I wanted to recommend one movie which portrays the best and worst of 'Aussiness', that would be the one.
Yes absolutely brilliant " The Shiralee" but l'm not sure if its a movie or a TV mini-series, two brilliant Aussie TV mini-series also made in the 1980s are " The Anzacs" starring Paul Hogan about 12 Aussie soldiers who fight there way through WW1 from Galliploi and the Western front untill 1918, great battle scences, ALso " The dirtwater Dynasty " Starring Hugo Weaving about a poor British immigrant the turn of thw 19th century who builds up the worlds biggest cattle empire in the outback, a million times better than that crappy nicole kidman film " Australia"
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Just finished watching Crocodile Dundee I, II and III. Part I is brilliant... funny depiction of aussie lifestyle in a remote part of Northern Territory.... use of aussie slangs and how Paul Hogan reacts to NYC is hilarious. This is a true piece aussie ingenuity.

However, I totally did not see any point of part II and III. Whats so novel about the fight with colombian drug gang or the LA drama? Whats so Australian about it? They were not done very well either.... so crap.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Watched another Oz film "Look Both Ways" shot in South Australia. If you have not seen it yet, you have not missed absolutely anything.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caliburn
Just finished watching Crocodile Dundee I, II and III. Part I is brilliant... funny depiction of aussie lifestyle in a remote part of Northern Territory.... use of aussie slangs and how Paul Hogan reacts to NYC is hilarious. This is a true piece aussie ingenuity.

However, I totally did not see any point of part II and III. Whats so novel about the fight with colombian drug gang or the LA drama? Whats so Australian about it? They were not done very well either.... so crap.
I agree. Parts 2 and 3 were just milking the success of the first one.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
Watched another Oz film "Look Both Ways" shot in South Australia. If you have not seen it yet, you have not missed absolutely anything.
No nothing at all except a small part of your life .....
Old Jul 5th 2009, 4:12 am
Forum Regular

RussellCat will become famous soon enough

there are loads of great aussie movies - half of them are in your list - crazy you don't get them!!

What about Samson and Delilah - a master piece
Mary & Max
My year without sex
Last ride

all very recent aussie movies - a lot of you seem to be missing out!

Walkabout
The Proposition
Romper Stomper
Jindabine.....
Old Jul 5th 2009, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RussellCat
there are loads of great aussie movies - half of them are in your list - crazy you don't get them!!

What about Samson and Delilah - a master piece
Mary & Max
My year without sex
Last ride

all very recent aussie movies - a lot of you seem to be missing out!

Walkabout
The Proposition
Romper Stomper
Jindabine.....
Thanks RussellCat. I will try to watch all of them.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:30 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I agree, on the whole, Aussie movies are pants.

However, Picnic at Hanging Rock is one of my favourite movies and I also really enjoyed Wolf Creek and Jammed.

Cate Blanchett is my favourite actress (and Toni Collette's brilliant also). So they're not all like the woeful Nicole Kidman.
I don't know of many women that enjoyed Wolf Creek!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.