Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia will never become a first world country

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I work in Micro Electro Mechanical Systems research, and to be honest, there just isn't anything going on here beyond the company that I currently work for and Cochlear hearing implants. I've got a lot of multi-disciplinary science/engineering/research skills, and I thought it would be reasonably straightforward to transfer these skills into different employment areas, however, Australia really is the land of having to have the right bit of paper in your hand before they will even look at you [one of my personal bug bears].

Irrespective of what experience you have, if you want to do job X, then you absolutely have to have the bit of paper that allows you to get into job X, otherwise your chances are pretty much minimal.

There's significantly less opportunity to transfer skills into related, or even closely aligned fields without significant amounts of additional study.

S
I`ve got to admit I had noticed that when looking at various jobs, there seems to be cards or tickets for everything

So, red tape (a sore point for me too) is worse in Oz?

Are there any positives with this culture though? I mean does adding the various bits of paper to your resume make you more employable and/or command better wages? Its got to, hasnt it.....?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Nowhere is Nirvana for everyone, I have lived in both countries for many years and for US England is closer for what WE want. It does sound as if you just feel the need to escape the UK as somewhere else must be better. We have lots of unemployment (much higher than the official figures), rising prices, crime, blah blah blah. the sun does shine more so to many those problems arent important, crazy I know.
If you feel it is the right move for you then do it but I cant get my head around wanting to do it having no first hand experience of the country.
A fair point, of course personal preference has its role

As I see it Australia is the opposite of the UK at present in a lot (not all) of respects

House prices are on their knees in the UK, opposite end of the spectrum in Australia (possibly overpriced....?)

For me, possibly not everyone from what you say, there are good work oppertunities - the UK is a constant (impossible) struggle in this respect - I`ve lost all heart in it

And of course, the weather.........

We both have crime and rising prices to some degree, not sure which is rising faster but whilst everything appears more expensive in Australia I can potentially earn much more (the UK is dire at present - no kidding) and would definately be better off financially

So, for me, I think Oz offers the better bet but I`m interested in any/all arguements for and against this idea........
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:45 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by energysolutions
And of course, the weather.........
The weather is better, though not all would agree with that, but it does seem to want to try and kill you more often than the weather in the UK.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
The weather is better, though not all would agree with that, but it does seem to want to try and kill you more often than the weather in the UK.
I have just been out cycling for an hour and am now sat here in a pool of sweat....I need to cool down before I have a shower as that just makes it worse.

The weather is certainly not an attraction for me
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
I have just been out cycling for an hour and am now sat here in a pool of sweat....I need to cool down before I have a shower as that just makes it worse.

-4C here in South London tonight. Hasn't been above 3 degrees for almost a fortnight. Hands and lips becoming cracked from the cold outside. And this is within the London "heat island". Wanna swap? Think carefully.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
-4C here in South London tonight. Hasn't been above 3 degrees for almost a fortnight. And this is within the London "heat island". Wanna swap? Think carefully.
He and many others would love it. I wouldn't but people want different things.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:57 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Plenty of days when I would agree with you.
I think I'd rather have a UK Spring and Summer than the Australian versions, but personally I think Autumn and Winter here more than make up for that.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Wanna swap? Think carefully.
Without question
Old Feb 7th 2012, 10:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Plenty of days when I would agree with you.
I think I'd rather have a UK Spring and Summer than the Australian versions, but personally I think Autumn and Winter here more than make up for that.
We plan to start spending Christmas until March in the UK from the end of this year.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:01 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

So, red tape (a sore point for me too) is worse in Oz?
Generally it is.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

We plan to start spending Christmas until March in the UK from the end of this year.
Bringing the bike?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:03 pm
Bitter and twisted

Bringing the bike?
Don't need to....my nephew has a bicycle supply and repair business

.....and he is doing very well despite the doom and gloom posted on here about the UK.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bringing the bike?
And snow tyres?

Gloves?

Balaclava?

Excess sweating WONT be an issue
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don't need to....my nephew has a bicycle supply and repair business

.....and he is doing very well despite the doom and gloom posted on here about the UK.
Fair play to him - I genuinely mean that

He is definately the exception as opposed to the rule here at present
Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

And snow tyres?

Gloves?

Balaclava?

Excess sweating WONT be an issue
Sounds wonderful compared to the shit weather we get here in the summer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.