Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Old Feb 7th 2012, 11:32 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia will never become a first world country

Originally Posted by souviaki
Hi. I'm actually not an expat from the UK, but and born and bred Aussie who stumbled upon this forum. I've been reading it for the past hour for a few giggles.

I take the the title in good humor however can't help but comment.

The Human Development Index (HDI) is a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education and standards of living for countries worldwide.

The most recent figures has Australia ranked number 2 in the world. The UK comes in at 28th
If that's the case you've let your country down already in the literary category.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:32 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm pleased to be able to report that - six months after trying to get the trees down, yesterday another tree man actually turned up at the time arranged to give a quote: he emailed me later and has arranged to take them down (the trees, that is....) in a fortnight. He was very pleasant, knowledgeable and had a clean truck with his logo on the side.

I have every hope that the fat lady will have sung in a couple of weeks.
just out of curiosity...... is he an expat? or a true blue?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

The only point of this thread (other than another attempt to bash all things Australian by the usual crowd) is to prove that there's a labour shortage in Australia. Duh.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
The only point of this thread (other than another attempt to bash all things Australian by the usual crowd) is to prove that there's a labour shortage in Australia. Duh.
Yep, thats what I would take out of it too but if you read some of the other threads on here they would have you believe the complete opposite

Many suggest that it aint all its cracked up to be, that unemployment is rising and jobs arent as abundant as it first appears, housing is way overpriced and general living costs are extortionate

Having never been I am trying to build an accurate picture from others who have experienced it - some days I wonder if I am sane

Please note this isnt a moan but I genuinely want clarification as I`m in the process of trying deciede if its financially possible/worth it......?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Yep, thats what I would take out of it too but if you read some of the other threads on here they would have you believe the complete opposite

Many suggest that it aint all its cracked up to be, that unemployment is rising and jobs arent as abundant as it first appears, housing is way overpriced and general living costs are extortionate

Having never been I am trying to build an accurate picture from others who have experienced it - some days I wonder if I am sane

Please note this isnt a moan but I genuinely want clarification as I`m in the process of trying deciede if its financially possible/worth it......?
So why are posts which paint an overly 'positive' picture more accurate than ones which are 'negative'.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
So why are posts which paint an overly 'positive' picture more accurate than ones which are 'negative'.
They`re not any more or less accurate, its the positive to negative ratio that worries me, its hard to quantify but the feeling is overwhelmingly negative for the reasons I outlined

As I mentioned before I cant guage what life is like in Oz but I know that its particulary difficult in the UK at present and my gut feeling is that Oz couldnt be any worse
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

They`re not any more or less accurate, its the positive to negative ratio that worries me, its hard to quantify but the feeling is overwhelmingly negative for the reasons I outlined
Have you thought about why that may be?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:35 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The skills shortage is limited to particular areas often - normally where locals don't want to live as they know it's unpleasant or too expensive. In Mackay where I am (stuck for 3 more months) there are job adverts everywhere for diesel fitters, electricians etc and I've met 7 or 8 families brought over on 457s (3 landed last November and have gone back to the UK already)for these positions. If you had local knowledge then you'd be aware there is virtually no accommodation, even the caravan park is $300 per week and that prices in restaurants, hotels, doctors, dentists etc are double the rest of Qld. What sounds like a doable move/nice way of life in one place just isn't tenable in another - hence, what is often euphemistically termed 'a skills shortage'
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, I have, and the possible conclusions I have came to are:

1) The negativity is deserved - all aspects of life is better in the UK, although with my first hand experience of the UK at present (something most on here dont have the benefit of) I find that hard to believe

2) You are all just a miserable bunch

3) Its all an act put on purely for the purposes of deterring potential migrants away and keeping Australia all to yourselves

4) Only the grumpy expats take time to post here, all the happy ones are too busy enjoying there new lives to bother.......

So - which is it
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:43 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

As I mentioned before I cant guage what life is like in Oz but I know that its particulary difficult in the UK at present and my gut feeling is that Oz couldnt be any worse
It is worth bearing in mind that the keyboard warriors are more likely to take to the internet and moan about something than praise it.

I could sit here today and post what, I think, are accurate views that could be seen as negative. Then I could do the same tomorrow and it would be seen as 'come to Oz it's great'!

Go with the gut feeling, these forums, as entertaining and occasionally informative as they are, are no substitute for what YOU feel.

Anyone considering moving and taking the collective advice on here with more than a pinch of salt is leaving themselves open to disappointment. Come with no expectations and embrace the differences. If you want that is, no odds to me

And now ...

my gut feeling is that Oz couldnt be any worse
It sounds like you are trying to escape the percieved ills of the UK and not because there is a pull to Oz. This is not a good indicator for a successful move.

Come with little or no expectations, don't compare ... embrace the differences.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

1) The negativity is deserved - all aspects of life is better in the UK, although with my first hand experience of the UK at present (something most on here dont have the benefit of) I find that hard to believe

3) Its all an act put on purely for the purposes of deterring potential migrants away and keeping Australia all to yourselves

4) Only the grumpy expats take time to post here, all the happy ones are too busy enjoying there new lives to bother.......

So - which is it
Those conclusions are hardly objective are they?

No one is saying all aspects of life in the UK are better.....and most of us have a lot of links with UK and some of us spend a lot of time there.

Why on earth would we want to keep this place for ourselves?

The bit about 'happy' migrants being out enjoying their lives and only grumpy ones post is utter bullshit and is an often used cliche.

It is your life.....if you only want to hear about fluffy cuddly things that is up to you.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:49 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

So - which is it
1) Clearly mad talk
2) Not all, it relates to your point 4)
3) See 1)
4) Yeh, pretty much ... there are some people who just like to either champion or put a place down to the detriment of balance. I think even they have forgotten that, maybe, people come onto BE for a bit of honest advice once in a while. Not to say negative/postivity is bad, some people just need a bit of balance or they come across like a stuck record.

As long as you know who these people are then it's easier to treat their comments accordingly. A bit tricky for a newcomer to BE. Maybe we need a sticky for both sides?

Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
The skills shortage is limited to particular areas often - normally where locals don't want to live as they know it's unpleasant or too expensive. In Mackay where I am (stuck for 3 more months) there are job adverts everywhere for diesel fitters, electricians etc and I've met 7 or 8 families brought over on 457s (3 landed last November and have gone back to the UK already)for these positions. If you had local knowledge then you'd be aware there is virtually no accommodation, even the caravan park is $300 per week and that prices in restaurants, hotels, doctors, dentists etc are double the rest of Qld. What sounds like a doable move/nice way of life in one place just isn't tenable in another - hence, what is often euphemistically termed 'a skills shortage'
Now thats the sort of "insider" info I`m after as opposed to general negativity

I have wondered about some of the positions being offered (particulary 457) and whether there was a catch - it appears there is......

Does work in such positions pay any/enough of a premium to counteract the extra living costs incurred?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

You also have to woprk out which of the happy clappy 'positive' posters have a vested interest in attracting migrants....such as those who have short term accomodation to let or other services aimed at new migrants
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Those conclusions are hardly objective are they?

No one is saying all aspects of life in the UK are better.....and most of us have a lot of links with UK and some of us spend a lot of time there.

Why on earth would we want to keep this place for ourselves?

The bit about 'happy' migrants being out enjoying their lives and only grumpy ones post is utter bullshit and is an often used cliche.

It is your life.....if you only want to hear about fluffy cuddly things that is up to you.
Grayling, I cant help but feel you need to lighten up....a lot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.