Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Old Feb 14th 2012, 12:41 am
True Blue

ectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really niceectomorph is just really nice
Default Re: Why Australia will never become a first world country

We had several large eucalypts removed from our garden (within the 10m permitted). $150 a tree, including cutting for firewood and mulching the remainder for the garden. No hassel. Your experience sounds much like what we had to deal with on a daily basis in Canada with anything from incorrect utility bills, basic services, local authorities, schools, the list is endless. Thats why we moved here.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 1:14 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

That is amazingly cheap, we were (finally) quoted way more than that for a single tree and this was 9 years ago, from memory it was $800 but in the end a group of islanders were coming around door to door and did it for half the price. It is often incredibly hard getting tradesmen to come and quote and harder still to follow up, they take the idea of being laid back too far I think.

Originally Posted by ectomorph
We had several large eucalypts removed from our garden (within the 10m permitted). $150 a tree, including cutting for firewood and mulching the remainder for the garden. No hassel. Your experience sounds much like what we had to deal with on a daily basis in Canada with anything from incorrect utility bills, basic services, local authorities, schools, the list is endless. Thats why we moved here.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 5:44 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

AWNBAFWC..... because the medium for C21 communication - the internet - never bloody works - it seems to be considered progressive enough to offer a half baked website of some toothless local and a corporate logo.

I've just spent an hour trying to do online shopping with Coles to get to the payment screen and the message 'Coles apologies - error has occurred. Please try later.'

Brilliant well done.... another area where Oz is pushing the boundaries of customer service (into the abyss).
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ectomorph
That sounds unbelievable - my quotes - when they eventually came - were $4620 - $5200 for the two trees' removal and disposal.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 7:24 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I can only assume they were tiny little trees. Some friends had a large gum tree removed a couple of years ago and that was well in the 1000's.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Melbourne is certainly not different, especially the media and people of influence.
Remember this is the "Worlds Most Liveable City" and don't the media like to remind us about it. But Melburnians also lord it over the rest of Australia as well. There constant bagging about Sydney is legendary.

Eddie Mcquire is one of the most obnoxious people on TV/Radio.
I agree with you about "Eddie Everywhere", but would like to point out that Sydneysiders spend just as much time bagging Melburnians, Brisbanites, Perthers, and pretty much everyone else.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Just because a certain sector of Australian society overdoes the national pride thing, it doesn't follow that the 'average' Australian follows suit.

Sadly, logical errors of thinking abound on here (and most internet forums for that matter), basically the classic 'cognitive distortions' that include black or white thinking, generalisation, mental filter, labeling, mind reading and jumping to conclusions based on limited evidence.

This leads to some ridiculous things being said on here about Australia. Most of the negative evaluative comments made on here concerning Australia and Australians are either grossly exaggerated or just plainly factually incorrect (aka BS).

Of course, like everywhere and everything, Australia has some things wrong with it, there are negative aspects to Australia and Australians just like everywhere. Of course, people are within their rights on a forum such as this one to point these things out, however probably only about 50% of the posters do this in a logical and balanced way whereas the others are stupid about it.

A few posters on here even appear to me to have clear anti-Australian motives, i.e. they literally can't bring themselves to concede one good thing about Australia, obviously due to some sort of emotionally based hang up about the place.
Old Feb 16th 2012, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

vigneshp is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not any better anywhere else..
Old Feb 17th 2012, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Just because a certain sector of Australian society overdoes the national pride thing, it doesn't follow that the 'average' Australian follows suit.
Politicians, sports people, TV presenters and celebrities tend to be in that "certain sector" you mention - a pretty influential group wouldn't you say?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 5:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I've no reason to think he's anything but an Aussie-born Aussie.

I've just returned from my Wednesday golf game: my (Aussie) partner has the exact same problems with the same people, trying to get some trees down but has had excellent service from him, so I'm pretty confident for once.
Misplaced: he rang today and says the council want him to take trees down the days he has arranged with me, so it's put off again.....

At least he did contact me - the original contractor never turned up nor made contact.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:02 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I can only assume they were tiny little trees. Some friends had a large gum tree removed a couple of years ago and that was well in the 1000's.
From personal experience I have to say I dont think thats a reasonable assumption.

we had 30+ year old gum tree removed about 18 months ago and it cost us just over $200.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:09 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Misplaced: he rang today and says the council want him to take trees down the days he has arranged with me, so it's put off again.....

At least he did contact me - the original contractor never turned up nor made contact.
Fair enough. Council jobs are maybe ongoing work for him? If so, its understandable he would prioritise that.

Did he arrange a new date with you?
Old Feb 17th 2012, 2:11 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Politicians, sports people, TV presenters and celebrities tend to be in that "certain sector" you mention - a pretty influential group wouldn't you say?
really???? I have to say I'm not influenced positively by that grouping. If anything, I tend to go against their opinions.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:20 pm
Banned

Well you did extremely well, I can't even imagine how that could be done at cost let alone make a living.

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
From personal experience I have to say I dont think thats a reasonable assumption.

we had 30+ year old gum tree removed about 18 months ago and it cost us just over $200.
Old Feb 17th 2012, 9:22 pm
Banned

I think the OP was referring to the population in general rather than you in particular. Remember we live in a society obsessed by reality TV so the people mentioned would be seen as influential by many.

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
really???? I have to say I'm not influenced positively by that grouping. If anything, I tend to go against their opinions.