Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Why Australia will never become a first world country

Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why Australia will never become a first world country

Originally Posted by Wol
Believe me I wasn't trying to start another UK v Oz shouting match, as the OP .

Had I experienced the same rudeness, inefficiencies and irresponsibilities in the UK or the US - or Nigeria, for that matter - I would have gone online in a local forum just the same.

But I didn't. Yes, we did have the odd engineer in the UK or the States turning up late, but nothing remotely as bad as here: as someone above said, it's as if it's unAustralian to act responsibly and professionally.

Who was the poster who was always complaining that nothing ever worked well - he had alpacas - and returned to the UK? I used to think he was exaggerating, but after eight years I can see he was the soul of reticence.

You mean Arkon.

I used to enjoy his rants. And now I find that I am having the same ones

S
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats service Australia. Its the same with the shops. Service is crap and the lentire experience depressing and thats not my words but those of the wife who used to love shopping and now cant be bothered.

I went to Myers just before Christmas to pick up some crackers and things and half the lights were off, the place was a mess, the lay out looked like it had been done by a bag of angry cats and there were no staff to be seen. Then these retailers cant understand why people go online to shop.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 3:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You mean Arkon.

I used to enjoy his rants. And now I find that I am having the same ones

S
Yup - that was he! I think he was young enough to pack up and go....
Old Jan 30th 2012, 4:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I think TE could be Arkon........
Old Jan 30th 2012, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Its true - it'll never become a first world country with all those eucalyptus trees hanging about
Old Jan 30th 2012, 5:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
to Sydney. I think he does spend a fair amount of time in the UK as well but last I heard he was in Sydney. I think the Alpacas were the least of his problems.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi wol mate as you know I built my own house so am well aware of trades never turning up, or quoting and then disappearing for ever.

I now lecture on owner building and I always say in order to get 3 quotes you need to ask 10 tradies to quote!

However I remember this being exactly the same when I lived in London, tradies never turning up, never returning calls, never coming back.

I think it's a global problem.

BB
In my experience it depends on the economic cycle. In 2000 to late 01 had to use a number of tradies for different jobs.
Actually had generally very good experiences with nearly all.
But times were different. The economy was flat and work was far less available.
Even got a roof carpenter to climb up my palm tree (rather high one) and cut it right back for additional $70 on the bill. Wouldn't get it done for $500 these days.

Although I have had less use during recent years what I have had done in the majority of cases is shoddy work for high costs. Generally don't care as a flat out.
I see a very big change indeed.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 5:54 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I think TE could be Arkon........
I wish I were. I'd like some male genitals to fiddle with.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:46 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Why Australia will never become a first world country

Great troll thread Wol, but do you have a legitimate point to make or are you simply feeling hormonal?

From the OP I got: 'If Australia was a 1st world country I would have got someone to remove my gum trees.' This does not strike me as a compelling argument.

When the market allows tradies to pick and choose, they'll pick and choose. This was exactly my experience in the UK when I tried to get my bathroom done. Moral of the story: get quotes from 4 different guys in any nation with a robust trade sector, and you'll probably end up paying a 5th guy to do the job.

Old Jan 31st 2012, 1:40 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
[...]I went to Myers just before Christmas [...] there were no staff to be seen [...]
Yes, big department stores are dying. Just about everyone has had that experience recently.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 2:36 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

If this country currently had a robust trade sector I could understand the complacency.

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Moral of the story: get quotes from 4 different guys in any nation with a robust trade sector, and you'll probably end up paying a 5th guy to do the job.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wol
OK - this is a rant on one subject. But it could apply to so many other things that happen on a daily basis.

etc, etc...

Rant over.
LOL I had to laugh when I read this.

Whats your definition of a first world country ??

Australia, already is a first world country, and has been for a long time.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_World

Secondly, in Ireland, during the boom, you couldnt find a tradie anywhere as they were all working, they could each work 24 hours if they wanted to. I waited a month to get a leaking tap fixed.(i watched, and just did it myself next time)

That was as a result of the boom, it seems to me, that if there was no work about, the Aussie blokes would be killing themselves to chop your trees, but as they have more work then they need, they are just sitting on the job, waiting on things to slow down, or a spare day between the big jobs before they get back to you.

Is it right, fair, professional no.

But compared to Philippines, where I lived for 8 months, and is a proper third world country.... its would be done a little sooner(maybe weeks waiting, not months), take much longer, an extremely poor job, by someone who was not properly qualified or trained, and it would grow back after a while, so they would get more work from you. Also, the final bill would be about twice, or more what you were quoted, and you have to pay for their lunchs every day. It would be quoted about the same though, equivalent of about a months wages, but to you & me thats about $100.

Not the same as Australia.

On another note, things are different in different countries, its easier to adapt, then to hold onto "its not like that back home", you'll be happier in the long run.

Last edited by smidsy; Feb 5th 2012 at 8:16 am.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi wol mate as you know I built my own house so am well aware of trades never turning up, or quoting and then disappearing for ever.

I now lecture on owner building and I always say in order to get 3 quotes you need to ask 10 tradies to quote!

However I remember this being exactly the same when I lived in London, tradies never turning up, never returning calls, never coming back.

I think it's a global problem.

BB
Indeed! I have no experience of Oz tradies yet, but having done a complete reno of our house in the UK and needing tradies on a number of occasions, I can safely say it's a problem everywhere.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:11 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smidsy
On another note, things are different in different countries, its easier to adapt, then to hold onto "its not like that back home", you'll be happier in the long run.
I could be wrong, but I believe that WOL has probably lived here longer than you've been alive.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 8:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not I still owe a tradie in London 200 pounds, his failure to come back and finish the job meant he didn't get paid for the first part of it as our agreement was he got paid in full at the end of it, I rang him several times but gave up chasing in the end.

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.