Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

why Australia giving PR

why Australia giving PR

Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why Australia giving PR

Originally Posted by Beoz
I sort of see what you are trying to say, but to say it in such a way to say Australian employers are prejudice against 'Pommies' as you say, displays a bit of an inferiority complex. Foreigners might have been a better way of putting it.

Its just self protection. The work market in Oz is not a moving pool and doesn't have the size as in a place like London. People naturally protect their positions when there's little else to move on to. 'Pommie' Aussie whatever.

For the record. My management in Oz is made up of Saffas and Brits. No Aussies up top.
Never had a problem myself and anything that has been said to me has been friendly banter.
Coles has probably got more Brits in top positions at its head office than locals.
My wife, muslim and Indonesian has never had a problem moving up the ladder at one of the big 4 auditors.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:10 am
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beoz
I sort of see what you are trying to say, but to say it in such a way to say Australian employers are prejudice against 'Pommies' as you say, displays a bit of an inferiority complex. Foreigners might have been a better way of putting it.

Its just self protection. The work market in Oz is not a moving pool and doesn't have the size as in a place like London. People naturally protect their positions when there's little else to move on to. 'Pommie' Aussie whatever.

For the record. My management in Oz is made up of Saffas and Brits. No Aussies up top.
I was going to say foreigners but I don't regard or feel myself as foreign in Oz and I don't regard Aussies as foreigners in the UK, probably due to our very close cultural ties and shared history. More like your favourite cousin who you like taking the mick out of.
But I do think that the Oz government/DIAC have painted a very rosy picture of the Oz job market in their marketing drives here in the UK. Maybe a bit more realism should be included to enable people to make more informed decisions about moving to Oz: which is ironic as I see straight talking as an Aussie trait, a good trait.
They don't need to market the country itself, it does it on its own.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Never had a problem myself and anything that has been said to me has been friendly banter.
Coles has probably got more Brits in top positions at its head office than locals.
My wife, muslim and Indonesian has never had a problem moving up the ladder at one of the big 4 auditors.
Agreed. Entirely down to individuals and their will to succeed.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It seems to me that some people struggle - others don't.

If we conducted a huge survey we might find out which areas are hard for new migrants - but perhaps it would have changed by now.

Apart from Polly, I don't know anyone who had to take a job at a 'lower' level - or had difficulties in matching experience and I am taking Polly's statement literally..

It's a shame Polly because in some ways, govt work shares quite a lot of skill-sets and culture.
I have come across many over the years especially from outside the English speaking world, although usually they themselves speak excellent English.
Hardly unique to Australia though.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by economy_1
Australia is not a silicon valley. Most of the IT work is outsourced to cheaper neighbor Asian countries.
And as I understand far more to follow. From areas of accounting to call centres, public relations and a lot in between in fact most anything that can be farmed out at far lesser cost.
Exactly where the work to replace that will be is anyone's guess.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 1:05 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by centennial
I have noticed people are having tough time in finding jobs (IT related) which are really scare at the moment. I am wondering why Australia is still inviting and giving PR to the foreigners.

any thoughts ..

Disclaimer : I am migrant myself .
The Australian government takes advice from the ACS about which IT sectors are short on skills locally. The ACS is in bed with their big corporate buddies who are mainly interested in driving down average worker's wages & increasing profits etc.

Originally Posted by economy_1
Australia is not a silicon valley. Most of the IT work is outsourced to cheaper neighbor Asian countries.
+1 to this
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

economy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by centennial
I have noticed people are having tough time in finding jobs (IT related) which are really scare at the moment. I am wondering why Australia is still inviting and giving PR to the foreigners.

Anyone with PR will be eligible for social benefits after town years which will further put load on public purse. We are having serious issue with immigration here in UK but cant do any thing due to EU obligations but I wonder why Asutralia is doing this ?

any thoughts ..

Disclaimer : I am migrant myself .
Two years is a very long time and nightmare for somebody to survive (in one of the most expensive country) without proper job.Even after two years social benefits (or dole money) is not enough for solely to rely upon.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 11:35 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ktyler1961
I was going to say foreigners but I don't regard or feel myself as foreign in Oz and I don't regard Aussies as foreigners in the UK, probably due to our very close cultural ties and shared history. More like your favourite cousin who you like taking the mick out of.
But I do think that the Oz government/DIAC have painted a very rosy picture of the Oz job market in their marketing drives here in the UK. Maybe a bit more realism should be included to enable people to make more informed decisions about moving to Oz: which is ironic as I see straight talking as an Aussie trait, a good trait.
They don't need to market the country itself, it does it on its own.
You mightn't regard Australians as foreigners, but the UK govt. does, and they take it a bit further than that. Ask any UK citizen who wants to return home to live with their Aussie spouse!

For anyone thinking of emigrating to Australia (or any country), I'd advise doing some independent research re job availability. I've never trusted a government department to tell me what is and isn't right for me, and I certainly wouldn't take their word when it came to a major undertaking like emigrating.