Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

why Australia giving PR

why Australia giving PR

Old May 22nd 2014, 5:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why Australia giving PR

Originally Posted by paddyo
Me too....I was so lowly paid I had to take part time work in the sex industry with sex chat lines......mostly self reflective!! Plus my MP keeps winking at me??? what's that all about?
Let me do my best Tony Abbott here
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sorry to disagree, but whereas this may be true for all the Ps YOU know, it is not universal. Many people on here have entered the Aussie workforce at a lower level.
I did not say it was universal.

I countered the generalisation that "most new prs will start from scratch with low pay or having a job very different from their degrees"

The generalisation, was in that comment above, not in my reply, so if we are picking up on people making sweeping statements it is not me you need to speak to here. I said nobody I know had to start at the bottom, that is not a generalisation, it is not a universal comment because I do not know everybody in the universe.

But it is a fact and I don't see how you can possibly disagree with the statement that everybody I know has started at the same level. Do you know everybody I know?

Last edited by Bermudashorts; May 22nd 2014 at 8:32 am.
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Famous 5
And I know lots who haven't, me included. For some, it has been a matter of choice, for others it has been because there simply weren't the jobs available in their field of work.
And?
Old May 22nd 2014, 9:45 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Famous 5
And I know lots who haven't, me included. For some, it has been a matter of choice, for others it has been because there simply weren't the jobs available in their field of work.
That was my experience - at least in so far as there being available a "close match" with what I had in the UK. With the benefit of my own hindsight I would say people need to think a lot outside of the box from the word go and if there aren't "close match" jobs available, consider related positions and produce resumes (CV) that play to the selection panel gallery. It worked for me in that profession-wise I moved sideways a little and upwards - effectively making it a promotion.
Old May 22nd 2014, 9:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I did not say it was universal.

I countered the generalisation that "most new prs will start from scratch with low pay or having a job very different from their degrees"

The generalisation, was in that comment above, not in my reply, so if we are picking up on people making sweeping statements it is not me you need to speak to here. I said nobody I know had to start at the bottom, that is not a generalisation, it is not a universal comment because I do not know everybody in the universe.

But it is a fact and I don't see how you can possibly disagree with the statement that everybody I know has started at the same level. Do you know everybody I know?
I never said that I know the same people as you, I said, it may be true for the people you know, but it isn't true for eveyone. I wouldve given a lot to be able to pick up my career here but nope, neither experience nor qualifications counted.
Old May 22nd 2014, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that some people struggle - others don't.

If we conducted a huge survey we might find out which areas are hard for new migrants - but perhaps it would have changed by now.

Apart from Polly, I don't know anyone who had to take a job at a 'lower' level - or had difficulties in matching experience and I am taking Polly's statement literally..

It's a shame Polly because in some ways, govt work shares quite a lot of skill-sets and culture.
Old May 22nd 2014, 1:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It seems to me that some people struggle - others don't.

If we conducted a huge survey we might find out which areas are hard for new migrants - but perhaps it would have changed by now.

Apart from Polly, I don't know anyone who had to take a job at a 'lower' level - or had difficulties in matching experience and I am taking Polly's statement literally..

It's a shame Polly because in some ways, govt work shares quite a lot of skill-sets and culture.
There's no way I am unique and special enough to be the only person who had to take a lower job after emigrating. Don't make it sound like I am. You've read enough threads on here to know better. Don't bother discussing, I'm not coming back to read the answe.

I'm remembering now why I am really starting to hate this forum.
Old May 22nd 2014, 1:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Apart from Polly, I don't know anyone who had to take a job at a 'lower' level - or had difficulties in matching experience
I do. Some I know personally, some I've read on BE.
Old May 22nd 2014, 9:28 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I do. Some I know personally, some I've read on BE.
Ditto.
Old May 23rd 2014, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There's no way I am unique and special enough to be the only person who had to take a lower job after emigrating. Don't make it sound like I am. You've read enough threads on here to know better. Don't bother discussing, I'm not coming back to read the answe.

I'm remembering now why I am really starting to hate this forum.
Of course you are not the only one, but you are the only person I know : that's what I said Polly! I see it partly as a govt service anomaly.
Old May 23rd 2014, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, Mrs Beoz and I moved for the money. My positional hierarchy stayed the same. Mrs Boez took a step backward.

Reason being London (where she worked) had a big pool of companies and people moving around. Opportunities open. In Oz bogans stay in their jobs for years, defending their positions, nowhere to move. Harder to break in and upwards.
Old May 23rd 2014, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

economy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by centennial
I have noticed people are having tough time in finding jobs (IT related) which are really scare at the moment. I am wondering why Australia is still inviting and giving PR to the foreigners.

Anyone with PR will be eligible for social benefits after town years which will further put load on public purse. We are having serious issue with immigration here in UK but cant do any thing due to EU obligations but I wonder why Asutralia is doing this ?

any thoughts ..

Disclaimer : I am migrant myself .
Australia is not a silicon valley. Most of the IT work is outsourced to cheaper neighbor Asian countries.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:53 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

It seems to me that the Ozzie Government have just been throwing sh.t at the wall and hope some sticks: they've made a right cock up of their immigration needs.
The percentage of Aussie employers that are ageist and/or predjudice towards Pommies is significantly higher than in more mature nations.
They are still very much behind with other aspects too, such as sexism..and definitely racism.
It's a beautiful country though, bit isolated and can get boring, but lovely
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

The gov lets people in knowing full well that there is an oversupply in there profession. But this country is built on a steady stream of new migrants. Every migrants brings money into the economy, creates jobs in construction, retail etc etc. The vast majority of restaurants are opened by migrants who have never had any experience operating one in there home country but see it as there only chance to have a job in Australia. Most will have been to uni and have a degree at least.

Same if you look at migrants who work in service industries like retail banks, most of the Chinese, Indian, Malaysian, Indonesian workers are way over qualified to do such jobs and would never consider working at such a lowly position in there home countries. New migrants are the lifeblood of most states in Australia.
So whilst some people on here might claim to not know any migrants (anglo) that have stepped backwards carrer wise they would be dealing every single day with many migrants that have taken a huge step down career wise to live in Australia. But that is a choice everyone makes when they decide to upsticks and move to another country.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ktyler1961
It seems to me that the Ozzie Government have just been throwing sh.t at thprejudice and hope some sticks: they've made a right cock up of their immigration needs.
The percentage of Aussie employers that are ageist and/or predjudice towards Pommies is significantly higher than in more mature nations.
They are still very much behind with other aspects too, such as sexism..and definitely racism.
It's a beautiful country though, bit isolated and can get boring, but lovely
I sort of see what you are trying to say, but to say it in such a way to say Australian employers are prejudice against 'Pommies' as you say, displays a bit of an inferiority complex. Foreigners might have been a better way of putting it.

Its just self protection. The work market in Oz is not a moving pool and doesn't have the size as in a place like London. People naturally protect their positions when there's little else to move on to. 'Pommie' Aussie whatever.

For the record. My management in Oz is made up of Saffas and Brits. No Aussies up top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.